Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 8, 2012, 11:45 PM   #26
sumone
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Boy I wish you could. Unfortunately I will be missing many of my team's games this season, and Time Warner sucks!
sumone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 11:49 PM   #27
pdjudd
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Plymouth, MN
Forget about Sunday Ticket - Direct TV has that locked up really tight. Suffice to say, that might not be the only way to get NFL content - it's going to be much more limited either in the teams available or in it's presentation. That's just the way the NFL has structured it's deals - Direct TV pays a mint to get the premium package where you can get 100% of everything. My guess is that their deal with the NFL doesn't include agreements with Apple.
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:56 PM   #28
mykelala01
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
Just get NFL rewind for as low as 39 dollars. It works with IOS. You might not watch the game Live as it happens. But you can watch the game after it is done. So as a true fans, it does not matter how you watch your team, or when you watch your team. As long as you see your team play. Just dont check the score while the game is running. You can still feel the same excitment watching a live game.
mykelala01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:04 PM   #29
jdag
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykelala01 View Post
...Just dont check the score while the game is running...
Have you ever tried (and succeeded) in doing this? It is VERY difficult to avoid hearing scores.

Otherwise, the concept of the NFL Rewind, for $40, is pretty appealing.
jdag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:18 PM   #30
ToyotaGuy23
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
I really want the WatchESPN app for the Apple TV, which gives access to ESPN3. AirPlay from the iPad can be choppy at times, and is good, but not great for game video quality.

Is this worth getting a Mac mini with the upgraded (AMD?) graphics to accomplish Internet streaming of sports though?

Apple TV + Mac mini + 60" HD TV = Sports Awesomeness?
ToyotaGuy23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:52 PM   #31
98EXL
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: not on the moon
I don't think I can ever leave MD because of this. I'm just not doing it. Go RGIII!!!!

We were having this discussion in thr car today, between F1 and football, we always need cable. Ugh
__________________
Late 2013 15" rMBP 2.0 GHz i7, 8 GB RAM, 256 flash
Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 GHz i7, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB + 240 GB SSD's
Airport Extreme (Tower of Doom)
too many iOS devices, more than one man should own
98EXL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:03 PM   #32
mykelala01
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdag View Post
Have you ever tried (and succeeded) in doing this? It is VERY difficult to avoid hearing scores.

Otherwise, the concept of the NFL Rewind, for $40, is pretty appealing.
Lol! just don't go to the internet and turn on the TV. Im not a big NFL fans but more of a NBA fans. Yup I tried it before and I call it," block myself from outside sources."
__________________
Macbook Pro (Unibody) 2.4ghz 4gb of Ram 320Gb HD 7200rpm OWC DD 500 GB 7200 RPM
Macbook Air Rev A
Macbook Pro Mid 2012 Hi-Res Glossy Display. 2.6ghz 8gb of Ram 750GB 7200 RPM
mykelala01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:00 AM   #33
JAT
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mpls, MN
I get bored with my local team. Once upon a time I had the Ticket for 3-4 years. The last 2 years have kinda sucked as I have watched only what's broadcast here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpots View Post
The NFL is available for streaming online for $250 from DirecTV.
Did not know that. But requirements include never-had-DirecTV and can't-get-DirecTV. Counts me out. I might be able to convince them I'm buried in the woods, but they have my address as a subscriber 2 years ago. I'd have to use a fake name or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykelala01 View Post
Just get NFL rewind for as low as 39 dollars. It works with IOS. You might not watch the game Live as it happens. But you can watch the game after it is done. So as a true fans, it does not matter how you watch your team, or when you watch your team. As long as you see your team play. Just dont check the score while the game is running. You can still feel the same excitment watching a live game.
Thanks for the tip, didn't know about this, either. I always timeshift anyway, so this should be fine for me. A little annoying that it appears to block ANY access during gametime. You'd think you could watch last week's game while this week's are played.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdag View Post
Have you ever tried (and succeeded) in doing this? It is VERY difficult to avoid hearing scores.

Otherwise, the concept of the NFL Rewind, for $40, is pretty appealing.
I work with all women. Not a problem.

Besides, I always watch games nobody else round here watches. Like whichever one has Peyton Manning.
__________________
-- Spiky
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:39 AM   #34
donrsd
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
Did not know that. But requirements include never-had-DirecTV and can't-get-DirecTV. Counts me out. I might be able to convince them I'm buried in the woods, but they have my address as a subscriber 2 years ago. I'd have to use a fake name or something.

http://www.fakenamegenerator.com/

__________________
PSN: DonVCorleone
The U - NY Mets - NY Giants - Miami Heat

Quote Me So I Am Notified
donrsd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:38 AM   #35
institute
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
This is how I get the NFL on Apple TV, in Canada.

1) Subscribe to un-blockus.com's VPN-like service (5 bucks a month). I already use their service in order to receive American Netflix. They recently added full NFL Game Pass support.

2) Purchase NFL Game Pass from the NFL.com site. This obviously will cost money. I paid a 100 dollars for all 2012 in-season games (no playoffs), which includes free streaming of NFL network and all games from the past few season. You can also play old games from this year.

At this stage you can watch NFL Game Pass on a computer. I have connected my laptop to my TV using VGA and the video quality is HD great.

3) You can also Airplay from an iDevice--I have used my iPod Touch 4gen. To do this, create a UK iTunes account and download the free NFL Game Pass app to iTunes on computer. Sync with iDevice. You can then watch NFL games from iDevice AND Airplay games to your AppleTV. The app is not available from a US or Canadian iTunes account.

Last edited by institute; Oct 10, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
institute is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:58 PM   #36
midwestfisherma
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I catch a lot of games on Justin.tv or SNSports.tv. SN usually has a full compliment of NFL games. Helpful hint if you go to either site, make sure you have Ad Block Plus enabled on your browser.
midwestfisherma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:35 AM   #37
linds15
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Great White North
Quote:
Originally Posted by institute View Post
This is how I get the NFL on Apple TV, in Canada.

1) Subscribe to un-blockus.com's VPN-like service (5 bucks a month). I already use their service in order to receive American Netflix. They recently added full NFL Game Pass support.

2) Purchase NFL Game Pass from the NFL.com site. This obviously will cost money. I paid a 100 dollars for all 2012 in-season games (no playoffs), which includes free streaming of NFL network and all games from the past few season. You can also play old games from this year.

At this stage you can watch NFL Game Pass on a computer. I have connected my laptop to my TV using VGA and the video quality is HD great.

3) You can also Airplay from an iDevice--I have used my iPod Touch 4gen. To do this, create a UK iTunes account and download the free NFL Game Pass app to iTunes on computer. Sync with iDevice. You can then watch NFL games from iDevice AND Airplay games to your AppleTV. The app is not available from a US or Canadian iTunes account.
I have the exact same setup. Stream from iPad to apple tv all season and it's awesome. My Internet comes in at 9Mbps and I use an AE router. Ipad2 with 3rd gen apple tv for refernce
__________________
2012 Mac Mini 2.6, 16GB Crucial Ram, 256 Samsung 830 SSD 2012 MBA 1.8Ghz, 4GB Ram, 128SSD JB iPhone 5 32GB JB iPad 2 32GB ATV3
Cord Cutter w/NBA, NHL, & NFL
linds15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:52 PM   #38
Somerset
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
It doesn't work that way. Everyone used to sign leases that stated you couldn't have a dish. The FCC doesn't allow that, it's not legal.. period. The FCC long ago put an end to property owners stating those restrictions.
You're only partially correct. In '96 the FCC passed legislation that prohibited restriction of the installation/maintenance of satellite dishes that are less than a meter in diameter. This only applies to areas that are directly rented or owned by an individual (most often balconies and patios) and does not necessarily include common areas, exterior walls, roofs or areas that are jointly owned by a community/condo association. There are still plenty of situations where a person would not be permitted to install a satellite dish.
Somerset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:03 PM   #39
Somerset
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
NFL Sunday Ticket Max

I just spoke with a rep at DirecTV. After confirming it with her supervisor, she informed me that I would be able to purchase NFL Sunday Ticket Max independent of a DirecTV account (sadly we have Comcast). This would allow for live online viewing of NFL games which could then be streamed to your TV. I don't know if this is a universal permission, but in my situation it was apparently possible.

http://www.directv.com/sports/nfl

That noted, she said it could only be "guaranteed" for the remainder of this season as they were "not sure" if Sunday Ticket Max would be offered as a feature next season. She declined to specify if it was Sunday Ticket that was going away or just "Max".

Despite how restrictive the NFL has been with their distribution rights, I can only assume it's a matter of time until this feature is available. The market is increasingly demanding it.
Somerset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:42 AM   #40
utekineir
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
You're only partially correct. In '96 the FCC passed legislation that prohibited restriction of the installation/maintenance of satellite dishes that are less than a meter in diameter. This only applies to areas that are directly rented or owned by an individual (most often balconies and patios) and does not necessarily include common areas, exterior walls, roofs or areas that are jointly owned by a community/condo association. There are still plenty of situations where a person would not be permitted to install a satellite dish.
I'm a landlord,

the scumbag dish installers come out all the time and put up dishes wherever the hell they want, have a siding tile broken off the exterior of the building 3 floors up because of a dish and numerous holes littering porches since every time they come out they just throw up a new dish without looking to see that the other 3 sitting there arent in use. They will go up onto frozen roofs in the middle of winter strap and brackets around a chimney to put up a dish. Infact I had a roof leak call the other day, coincidentally after a new tenant that I was told had dish installers on the roof.

Far as i'm concerned its vandalism without permission to my property. I turn a blind eye to it and don't give the tenants a hard time over dishes, doesn't mean I like it. Comcast is just as bad. Have seen them string coax directly across an entry floor ready to be tripped over, let alone the jerkass installers that put in a new hole directly next to an existing hole.

Fcc or not I have a very simple solution were it something worth rocking the boat over. Month to month lease, 30 day notice, perfectly legal for either party to give in this state with no reason necessary.

Theres a reason property owners don't like dishes. When you figure in the turn over of tenancies along with the crap ass work 99% of installers perform its nothing but excessive and unnecessary damage to the owners property.

Last edited by utekineir; Dec 27, 2012 at 12:50 AM.
utekineir is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 02:59 PM   #41
Somerset
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by utekineir View Post
I'm a landlord, the scumbag dish installers come out all the time and put up dishes wherever the hell they want, have a siding tile broken off the exterior of the building 3 floors up because of a dish and numerous holes littering porches since every time they come out they just throw up a new dish without looking to see that the other 3 sitting there arent in use. They will go up onto frozen roofs in the middle of winter strap and brackets around a chimney to put up a dish. Infact I had a roof leak call the other day, coincidentally after a new tenant that I was told had dish installers on the roof.

Far as i'm concerned its vandalism without permission to my property. I turn a blind eye to it and don't give the tenants a hard time over dishes, doesn't mean I like it. Comcast is just as bad. Have seen them string coax directly across an entry floor ready to be tripped over, let alone the jerkass installers that put in a new hole directly next to an existing hole.

Fcc or not I have a very simple solution were it something worth rocking the boat over. Month to month lease, 30 day notice, perfectly legal for either party to give in this state with no reason necessary.

Theres a reason property owners don't like dishes. When you figure in the turn over of tenancies along with the crap ass work 99% of installers perform its nothing but excessive and unnecessary damage to the owners property.
We are starting to get off topic here so I'll make this my last post. You cannot restrict installation of a satellite dish if it complies with the law. That noted, I believe you can add lease wording that would require the tenant to comply with FCC regulation. I'd consult with your attorney. This particular law does favor the tenant to some degree, however, as the owner you clearly have broader legal rights in the real estate. They have the right to install a satellite dish IF it complies with the law. As I read it the law does not give them the legal right to install a satellite dish wherever they would like. Again, I'd consult with your attorney and decide if this is a battle worth fighting. We also own/manage commercial real estate and there is nothing wrong with requiring your tenants to honor their end of the contract. If you haven't already visited the FCC site this may provide some helpful information:

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule
Somerset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:27 PM   #42
utekineir
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
You cannot restrict installation of a satellite dish if it complies with the law. That noted, I believe you can add lease wording that would require the tenant to comply with FCC regulation.
Unfortunately in the real world the installers (especially the independent contractors) give 2 ***** about anything other than getting the service started and moving onto the next job.

Like i said fcc or not, were there to be a significant issue worth raising a stink over a 30 day notice is 100% legal to be given for 0 reason by either party. As I stated, I turn a blind eye, despite the damage done to the properties by the negligent installers. But push come to shove the most economically feasible route is available without attorney assistance.

I wasn't looking for legal advice, just trying to explain and demonstrate why property owners are likely to have issues with dishes being mounted rather than this being a one sided argument.
utekineir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:39 PM   #43
sk8ordie
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: California
The NFL sunday ticket option for PS3 looks nice but $299 is way out of my budget. I just want to follow my local team and get rid of cable. I think my final option is to put a nice HD antennae on the roof for the local channels.
__________________
Dual 1.8ghz PPC G5 - 2.5GB RAM - Nov '03
2.4ghz Macbook - 2GB RAM - July '08
iPhone 4S 32GB - Oct '11
sk8ordie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:49 AM   #44
institute
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
As of August 1st, you are forced to update NFL GamePass app (downloaded from the UK iTunes store). I did this but now the app constantly says that I am in the wrong location to use the app. This is true even though I am using unblock-us and even though I tried using a location spoofer as well. I am located in Canada but a tandem of unblockus and location spoofing has always worked in the past. Anyone else have this experience?
institute is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:46 AM   #45
hipnetic
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by institute View Post
As of August 1st, you are forced to update NFL GamePass app (downloaded from the UK iTunes store). I did this but now the app constantly says that I am in the wrong location to use the app. This is true even though I am using unblock-us and even though I tried using a location spoofer as well. I am located in Canada but a tandem of unblockus and location spoofing has always worked in the past. Anyone else have this experience?
I recently downloaded the GamePass app and when I fired it up I saw that it wanted to use location services, which made me worry that they might use that info to block people from using the service. If you're at home and using WiFi, I wonder if editing your location in your WiFi router settings would get things working again. In my AirPort Extreme settings, there's an option for "Country" (under Advanced/Wi-Fi Settings).
hipnetic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:19 PM   #46
institute
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Last year, unblockus was enough to fool the location services call from the Game Pass app and I have also used Location Spoofer, a jailbreak app, which was also effective doing this. Today, neither of these methods work, so I was wondering if they have a new way of judging one's location.
institute is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 01:48 AM   #47
linds15
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Great White North
Quote:
Originally Posted by institute View Post
Last year, unblockus was enough to fool the location services call from the Game Pass app and I have also used Location Spoofer, a jailbreak app, which was also effective doing this. Today, neither of these methods work, so I was wondering if they have a new way of judging one's location.
They probably adopted something similar to nba game pass. Quite concerning, ill try to find some workarounds when I'm back home
__________________
2012 Mac Mini 2.6, 16GB Crucial Ram, 256 Samsung 830 SSD 2012 MBA 1.8Ghz, 4GB Ram, 128SSD JB iPhone 5 32GB JB iPad 2 32GB ATV3
Cord Cutter w/NBA, NHL, & NFL
linds15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 05:56 AM   #48
institute
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I also installed tsprotector to see if they were accessing iOS system files but there was no indication that this was the case.
institute is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 02:39 PM   #49
institute
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
OK. False alarm. I managed to get it working using UnBlock us. Just rentered the DNS and rebooted the ipad and ipod touch, and it works now. Thanks for the comments.
institute is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'NFL Now' Streaming Video Service Launching Ahead of 2014 NFL Season MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 34 Feb 3, 2014 04:52 PM
iPhone: In honor of the NFL preseason starting this week, post your NFL wallpapers here! lsutigerfan1976 UI Customization 5 Aug 5, 2013 05:19 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC