Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mitch.dunc

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
So, who buys what?
I want a Camera Connector kit and a HDMI cable, but i dont want to pay the full Apple costs.

I would buy the unofficial Camera Connector and HDMI cable. Since it is all digital, your picture quality shouldn't be different using different connectors. I would probably go with the official Smart Cover because I have read reviews of the unofficial ones to have weak magnets.

If the price difference isn't much, I'd just get the officials.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
HDMI cables are pretty much the same so buying an unofficial brand is fine with me.

I wound up getting the official camera connector kit (I'm a sucker, I know). The all in one card readers would've been nice but I'm fine with the official Apple branded ones.

balzmcfearson

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2009
Brooklyn
Like the best of people, i love official apple hardware. However sometimes it does seem a bit expensive.

Camera Connecter kit
Official
Unofficial

HDMI Kit
Official
Unofficial

Smart Cover
Official
Counterfeit
Unofficial

So, who buys what?
I want a Camera Connector kit and a HDMI cable, but i dont want to pay the full Apple costs.

you sure that's a counterfeit smart cover?

looks like one of the apple originals with the grey back vs. v2 with the matching color back

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Pulled the trigger last Saturday and picked up Red Smart Cover at Apple store. It looks really nice, but $70!!! So overpriced. Waiting for my new iPad to use it.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
My unofficial CCK works fine. Definitely worth the $4 I paid for it on Amazon.

My knockoff keyboard, however, really isn't worth the $25 I paid for it on eBay. The keys stick all the time and sometimes he only way to get it to stop repeating a letter is to toggle the BT on and off.

I've been meaning to get an unofficial hdmi cable, just haven't gotten around to it.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
The US reviews of the $5 camera connection kits on Amazon are very hit or miss. I ordered a cheap mini display cable from an Amazon 3rd party seller once before. It fell apart when I plugged it in! I saw how the connectors looked to be superglued or poorly soldered into place with fray wire going everywhere.

Needless to say I'm very leery...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.