Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:46 PM   #1
shahbasharat
macrumors newbie

Smile how to delete or move ALL emails at once in non-jail broken ipad or iphone

it took me weeks of research to figure out finally how to decode this yet another secretive secrets of apple. there is a perfect way of deleting ALL emails at once without jailbreaking your iphone or ipad...and here it is:

Open Inbox>>EDIT >> check/select the top message, it will highlight the move button >>press and hold the move button and uncheck the message that you had checked earlier >> lift all your fingers off from the ipad screen and leave it alone. wait until all your messages pile up on the right hand portion of the screen (in ipad). iphone will give you the actual number of emails it has selected for the action. now they are just waiting for your command to be moved ALL at once. >> choose trash to delete all of them or any other folder where u want to move them, like one piece. remember this will replicate your action on the server so u will ACTUALLY move them or delete them on the server and not just the ipad.

once you have moved all messages to trash you can either leave them there for the scheduled cleaning or empty it right away by doing this: go to trash folder and click edit. the delete all button shows up at the bottom of the screen. hit it! you r done!

if you do not see effects of your actions on the server make sure you have enabled Your email accounts for such actions.

tips:

1. please give enough time (could take upto several minutes depending the number of emails to be moved) for the emails to be selected for the move. your screen will become unresponsive while all emails are being packaged. once emails are ready, in ipad, you will see them zoomed out on the right hand side of the screen, and in iphone you will see the message showing you the actual number of messages that have been selected.

2. avoid purging very large number of emails, the mail app might freeze or crash. if your inbox has thousands of emails change your sync settings in mail settings to fill lesser number of emails in you inbox

Last edited by shahbasharat; Mar 15, 2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: tips
shahbasharat is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:48 PM   #2
harlex
macrumors member

Well that we know, but more to a point ever tried deleting an email address that you no longer wish to keep.
harlex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:09 AM   #3
Jkb242
macrumors newbie

Great information, thanks so very much!!
Jkb242 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:11 PM   #4
Beebeez
macrumors newbie

Thank you soooo much!

I did this and it worked like a charm. I just wish that apple would give better on-screen instruction so people didn't have to go searching online for the answer, or 'accidently discover' the solution. Thanks again for your excellent research!
Beebeez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:57 PM   #5
nayport
macrumors newbie

OMG thank you SOOOOOO much!! This worked perfectly - can't tell you how much time this will save me, as I used to manually delete EVERY email! Don't understand why Apple can't make their instructions that easy!!
nayport is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:33 PM   #6
Cloudy5
macrumors newbie

Question I'm sure I am doing something wrong...

...but I can't get this to work on my iPhone 4s. I seem to get lost after the check/uncheck top message. Am I supposed to do it with just one finger because when I try to drag down to the other messages, nothing happens. Any help is appreciated.
Cloudy5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 04:46 AM   #7
look-fast
macrumors newbie

move emails w attachments?

thanks for the tip... it works very well.. for all emails without attachments though... is there any way to move those with attachments too pls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahbasharat View Post
it took me weeks of research to figure out finally how to decode this yet another secretive secrets of apple. there is a perfect way of deleting ALL emails at once without jailbreaking your iphone or ipad...and here it is:

Open Inbox>>EDIT >> check/select the top message, it will highlight the move button >>press and hold the move button and uncheck the message that you had checked earlier >> lift all your fingers off from the ipad screen and leave it alone. wait until all your messages pile up on the right hand portion of the screen (in ipad). iphone will give you the actual number of emails it has selected for the action. now they are just waiting for your command to be moved ALL at once. >> choose trash to delete all of them or any other folder where u want to move them, like one piece. remember this will replicate your action on the server so u will ACTUALLY move them or delete them on the server and not just the ipad.

once you have moved all messages to trash you can either leave them there for the scheduled cleaning or empty it right away by doing this: go to trash folder and click edit. the delete all button shows up at the bottom of the screen. hit it! you r done!

if you do not see effects of your actions on the server make sure you have enabled Your email accounts for such actions.

tips:

1. please give enough time (could take upto several minutes depending the number of emails to be moved) for the emails to be selected for the move. your screen will become unresponsive while all emails are being packaged. once emails are ready, in ipad, you will see them zoomed out on the right hand side of the screen, and in iphone you will see the message showing you the actual number of messages that have been selected.

2. avoid purging very large number of emails, the mail app might freeze or crash. if your inbox has thousands of emails change your sync settings in mail settings to fill lesser number of emails in you inbox
look-fast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 09:07 PM   #8
Momtopeppy
macrumors newbie

Smile How to delete all emails at onceon ipad

This works wonderfully. Thanks so much for your knowledge. I had over 3,000 to get rid of... Worked like a charm..
Momtopeppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2013, 07:20 PM   #9
TB07-NJ
macrumors 68020

Does not seem to work in IOS7.x
TB07-NJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:53 PM   #10
milknhoney
macrumors newbie

not on iphone

Works beautifully on my ipad but not on my iphone. My iphone is ios 6 but my ipad is ios7. Is that the reason?
milknhoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2013, 09:12 PM   #11
Rich.Cohen
macrumors regular

Thumbs down Email Deletes sometimes

This is a great tip, but I have a problem. It works fine on my Wife's iPad 4 but it doesn't work on her iPhone 5s. On the phone the emails look like they were deleted, but then they come back again. Has anyone else seen this? She went to the Apple Store today and they tried a number of things including completely reinstalling her software. Nothing worked. Her service provider is Verizon if that matters. Both devices have the latest version of iOS.

Has anyone else encountered a problem with this?
Rich.Cohen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2014, 02:30 PM   #12
milknhoney
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.Cohen View Post
This is a great tip, but I have a problem. It works fine on my Wife's iPad 4 but it doesn't work on her iPhone 5s. On the phone the emails look like they were deleted, but then they come back again. Has anyone else seen this? She went to the Apple Store today and they tried a number of things including completely reinstalling her software. Nothing worked. Her service provider is Verizon if that matters. Both devices have the latest version of iOS.

Has anyone else encountered a problem with this?
This is exactly what happens on my iphone 5. It works fine on my ipad though, and I have both through Verizon.
milknhoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 02:56 PM   #13
paperairplanes
macrumors newbie

can you delete emails on iPhone without deleting from server?

I want to delete ALL my gmail from my iPhone, but not from the server. I would have to go through all my thousands of emails on my Macbook to see which ones I don't want to delete. I have never synced my devicesódoes this mean I CAN delete from my iPhone without deleting from the server? I can't afford to do it without knowing they won't all disappear on my laptop!
paperairplanes is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting