Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epcomworld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro Early 2011 - MC721LL/A. One of my wonderful children managed to spill some water on the counter where the laptop was sitting allowing it to slip into the back of the case. I immediately moved the computer and shut it down. Shortly there after, it didn't want to work.

Having a background in electrical engineering, I open up the computer. I cleaned the logic board up and in the process I removed what I'm told is a rework / fault correction wire, which was located near the backlight keyboard connector. This little piece of wire connected the bottom of the logic board to the top of the logic board. Upon cleaning the logic board I put it back into the machine and all the major hardware pieces worked. However, the battery will no longer charged (did not get wet) and the machine starts itself when the magsafe is connected. I think the logic board is fine, however, this rewire cable between the top of the board and bottom of the board needs to go back on - so I'm told.

The only problem is I do not know where to put it back to solder it back on. In the iFixit take a-part guide, the cable that was on my factory board is not displayed on the take apart machine. I contacted an Apple Store and they said in some cases these wires are added due to manufacturing problems. It allows the board to operate normally. I am curious if anyone else has had this problem and where are the locations on the board for me to reattach this "fixer" cable.

Any help you could provide would be great. I do not think my logic board is dead, but without that rewire cable attached it does not work 100%. I would rather attach the cable then spend $900.00 on a board unless I really have to. Something I would like to try first. Thanks for any help / ideas you have. I appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.