Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One issue noted in several of the early reviews of the new iPad was the fact that Amazon's Kindle app for iOS [App Store] had not been updated to support the Retina display on the new iPad. While iOS is capable of scaling up most text to display at the crisp resolution of the new display, some apps such as Kindle package their own fixed fonts and are thus not compatible with Apple's upscaling.

kindle_3_0_library_ipad_iphone.jpg

New library design on iPad (left) and iPhone (right)
But just in time for the official launch of the new iPad, Amazon has updated its Kindle app to version 3.0 to include support for the new iPad's Retina display, as well as several new features including a new library design and cloud view for browsing content.
What's New in Version 3.0

-New library design - view your content in a new, updated look and feel. iPhone users can now choose view their library in grid view.
-Cloud view - easily access all of your content in the cloud in a simple, combined view.
-Optimized for the new iPad retina display.
Kindle for iOS is a free download in the App Store.

Article Link: Kindle for iOS Updated with Retina iPad Support, New Library Design

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
That’s great! iPad + Kindle app is currently the best way to read e-books checked out from the library, in my view. And the new iPad has to be the best-looking electronic print ever.*

(I wish Apple would institute a lending system for libraries too—then I’d read in iBooks.)

* If you read indoors, or outdoors in shade, and especially in rooms with dim lighting that is a problem for e-ink Kindles with their gray-on-gray text. But if you prefer to do most of your reading outdoors in full sun, a light, thin little e-ink Kindle comes into its own.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I like the kindle's selection but the iBooks app just appeals to me more. I'm just glad there are ways of liberating content from one system so I can use it in the other. I'm getting the iPad 3 tomorrow so now I have to figure out what to do with my Kindle 3...

jpow112

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2007
All my books have gone....

except Steve Jobs Bio. :(

can't find them in the archive-

new iPad3, have upgraded Kindle App, registered, and only the sample book, and SJ book there- I've at least 25 books purchased?

everyone elses OK?

EDIT- sorted, deleted and reinstalled app- all there now..

Last edited:

macconservative

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
except Steve Jobs Bio. :(

can't find them in the archive-

new iPad3, have upgraded Kindle App, registered, and only the sample book, and SJ book there- I've at least 25 books purchased?

everyone elses OK?

EDIT- sorted, deleted and reinstalled app- all there now..

I had to go on the Amazon site and deliver all my books to the iPad. Only books that were showing up before that on Cloud were the ones that I archived. I do like the new app.

zaphon

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
* If you read indoors, or outdoors in shade, and especially in rooms with dim lighting that is a problem for e-ink Kindles with their gray-on-gray text. But if you prefer to do most of your reading outdoors in full sun, a light, thin little e-ink Kindle comes into its own.

This simply must be a matter of opinion, as I've got 4 kindles, including a 1st generation (bought on launch day) and unless you're trying to read in a pitch black room, I don't see the issues you're describing. I have an iPad, and the iPad's display makes my eyes start to hurt after reading for an hour or two with it, a problem I don't have when using my Kindle (note I have the same problem with my Kindle Fire, which I also can't read books with).

tyke65

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Not working for me!

As soon as I upgraded to Version 3 I found that I couldn't open any of the books I had converted to .mobi format (using Calibre) and neither could I delete them. I've tried everything and Amazon are looking into it.

csjcsj

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2011
Sarasota FL
The books are there, you have to click on the iCloud tab, then click on the book and it downloads. This is one of two features of the new kindle app I don't like -it was better when the archived (really already read) titles were separated.

The other problem for me is that they've seemed to increase the screen space for going to the next page (and back). If you try to get a definition of a word too close to the edge, it changes the page instead of highlighting the word

tyke65

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
The books are there, you have to click on the iCloud tab, then click on the book and it downloads. This is one of two features of the new kindle app I don't like -it was better when the archived (really already read) titles were separated.

The other problem for me is that they've seemed to increase the screen space for going to the next page (and back). If you try to get a definition of a word too close to the edge, it changes the page instead of highlighting the word

On my iPhone the iCloud books are readable, the previously downloaded .mobi converts can't be opened and can't be deleted.

Since my last post I've bought a new iPad and it is exactly the same.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
I love the new retina iPad Kindle app!

I think it's great. It's beautiful to read.

I'm not really sure if they updated the icons (controls) to be 2x buttons, but who cares(?), I can't actually see those when I'm reading.

What I don't like, is they give me too much white space around the edges. I want more text on the page! It's not a printing problem, it's a digital book.

The Kindle app is my favorite eBook reader for the iPad (or iPhone) because it syncs with the book (or personal documents) on my actual Kindle. In daylight I use the Kindle and when it's not light enough, I'll use my iPad to read.

Gary :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.