Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

classie787

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
My iPod Touch (4th gen) 32gb has awful battery life...but it may be due to my own user error.

I will charge the iPod, but I won't turn it completely off...nor will I turn it off via the top button. I'll just let the screen black out. Anyhoo, by day's end it is drained completely.

Do I need to turn it completely off? Or at least turn it off by just touching the top button briefly (not holding it down)? Or could it be the wifi that is causing bad battery life?

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
If you're not using wifi, put it on airplane mode, lower the brightness when you are using it, and definitely turn it off when you aren't using it to improve battery life.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
My iPod Touch (4th gen) 32gb has awful battery life...but it may be due to my own user error.

I will charge the iPod, but I won't turn it completely off...nor will I turn it off via the top button. I'll just let the screen black out. Anyhoo, by day's end it is drained completely.

Do I need to turn it completely off? Or at least turn it off by just touching the top button briefly (not holding it down)? Or could it be the wifi that is causing bad battery life?

I have to agree that the battery life of the ipod touch is not up to snuff with what apple is marketing it to be -- a gaming and internet device but for music and videos, the battery life is great.

What you can do is

1. Set brightness to 50%
2. In settings, set auto sleep to 1 minute
3. Turn off wifi when internet related services/apps are not in use.
4. Keep updated on iOS updates from Apple.
5. Do a complete discharge at least once a month (run down the battery until the device shuts down) then charge it back to full again.

Battery life on the ipod touch is relative. It's irritatingly short when you use intensive game apps like infinity blade, about normal when browsing using wifi and great when just listening to music. Moreso, you can't expect constant battery life when you mix all tasks together. As they say, your milage may vary.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
If you turn off WiFi and only use it to play music, the iPod has a long life battery. From my experience, full charged battery can play music up to almost 30 hours before it needs another recharge (well I tested it, so I play music continuously through headphone)

If you use it regularly for browsing and streaming with WiFi, it wouldn't last 5 hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.