Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LWP777

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Ever since I updated to iOS 5.1 I've had some new voicemails that I was unable to play without rebooting my iPhone 4S. I will see the new voicemail in my visual voicemail but it will show 0:00 and not let me play the message. When I reboot, it will notify me of a new voicemail and I'm able to listen. This has happened 4-5 times. It also happened today on my wife's 4S so it's not just exclusive to my phone. I am on the Sprint network.

I tried searching the forums but didn't find any posts with a similar issue.

Any ideas of how to resolve this? Thank you!

indiefilmguy

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
Chicago, IL USA
Voicemail Issue

Were you ever able to resolve this? I am having the same issue is iOS 5.1 on the 4S, on Sprint. Mine is so bad that I have to reboot my phone EVERY time i receive a voicemail.

LWP777

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
No, I have not resolved this. I'm shocked that nobody has really responded to this post! I also am having to reboot my phone each time.

When you upgraded to 5.1, was it interrupted at all? I think I went from wifi to 3G. I wonder if that had something to do with it.

hottrkc

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
Were you ever able to resolve this? I am having the same issue is iOS 5.1 on the 4S, on Sprint. Mine is so bad that I have to reboot my phone EVERY time i receive a voicemail.
jpg1
I am having the same issue is iOS 5.1 on the 4S, on Sprint. Mine is so bad that I have to reboot my phone EVERY time

ah123

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2011
FWIW I'm on o2 (UK) and have been able to listen to voicemails without any issue. Hope your issue gets fixed!

indiefilmguy

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
Chicago, IL USA
I have not been able to resolve this as of yet. I can't seem to find any solution online either, haven't called Apple yet because I know their first suggestion is going to be to erase my phone and start over...

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

With Vz and my iPhone4, no problems.

Durum

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2012
Same

My wife and I both have iPhone 4s with Sprint. iOS 5.1 update has done same thing to our voicemail. I have to reboot phone nearly every time. I have a 32 GB phone. I have not tried the back up and restore. Is this confirmed as a solution?

DarrenBTX

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2012
Iphone voicemail issue

My wife and I both have Iphone 4S's on sprint and are experiencing the exact same problem. Ever since we upgraded to IOS 5.1, when voicemails come in, they are displayed but with 0:00 as if the person didn't leave a message. We never had this problem on 5.0, but we've asked a Genius Bar tech and he had no knowledge of the problem.

Any hints on how to fix it or get it fixed?

Iphone 4S 32gb

Diana Prince

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Has anyone in this thread (or anyone else experiencing this issue) been able to resolve this voice-mail problem?

I contacted Sprint (and this only affects Sprint iPhones AFAIK) and they are aware of the problem and said they were currently working w/ Apple to resolve it but that was over a month ago. The rep told me they thought the latest iOS release was going to resolve the problem but it does not. Sprint can "reset" your voice mail temporarily fixing the problem but the problem resurfaces for me within days (sometimes hours).

So far the only thing that works for me is deleting the voice mail and then going into deleted messages and undeleting it. I can then listen to the message. I really hope this is resolved soon or this could affect my next iPhone purchase. I gotta get my voice mails! :mad:

visitor123456

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2012
1. Exit out of the phone app and go to the home screen
2. Tap twice on the home button to bring up currently running apps
3. End the Phone App process by continuing to hold that icon until a minus sign appears. Tap the phone icon again to end it.
4. Tap the home button again to return the device to the regular home screen
5. Re-launch the phone app
6. Wait a few seconds. This will prompt the device to re-connect to the Voicemail server and download all messages. The messages will all be playable.

mds

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2006
1. Exit out of the phone app and go to the home screen
2. Tap twice on the home button to bring up currently running apps
3. End the Phone App process by continuing to hold that icon until a minus sign appears. Tap the phone icon again to end it.
4. Tap the home button again to return the device to the regular home screen
5. Re-launch the phone app
6. Wait a few seconds. This will prompt the device to re-connect to the Voicemail server and download all messages. The messages will all be playable.

I've had this problem as well and following the steps above solves the problem. My guess is it will reappear, but it isn't too difficult just to kill the phone app once in awhile. Thanks!

bsimp

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2012
Ever since I updated to iOS 5.1 I've had some new voicemails that I was unable to play without rebooting my iPhone 4S. I will see the new voicemail in my visual voicemail but it will show 0:00 and not let me play the message. When I reboot, it will notify me of a new voicemail and I'm able to listen. This has happened 4-5 times. It also happened today on my wife's 4S so it's not just exclusive to my phone. I am on the Sprint network.

I tried searching the forums but didn't find any posts with a similar issue.

Any ideas of how to resolve this? Thank you!

Funny how I'm reading your complaint about this "known issue" you posted in March 2012 and It's August and this is still an issue. I can't get a voicemail from Sprint unless I turn the phone off then back on. I wonder how many more months will go by before they fix it.

LWP777

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Funny how I'm reading your complaint about this "known issue" you posted in March 2012 and It's August and this is still an issue. I can't get a voicemail from Sprint unless I turn the phone off then back on. I wonder how many more months will go by before they fix it.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. Have you updated to iOS 6 yet? I haven't had the problem since I updated. (knock on wood)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.