Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Ok hate is a strong word,but one of the things i liked about the ATV. Over the roku was the interface & how nice & elegant it all looked with the covers

This new UI looks like it was made for lil kids

I gave it a chance

Having a bunch of apps in plain view that i dont use annoys me,on my iPhone i don't keep apps i dont use in the springboard , i hide them in folders (I might be OCD or crazy)

And you cant see the covers on top when you scroll down on the main section

I guess apple thought since everybody was complaining about the lack of apps ,they would give us apps in big icons

The rest of the stuff once you get passed the main section is fine

Somebody in the jailbreak community please bring the old UI back as an option

Apple should at least let us rearrange the icons around

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
No, Its the most hideous thing thats come out of Apple in a while. Its such a waste of real estate. My wife hates it too.

I may have to look into downgrading the OS.

Ive never jailbroken it, but would be tempted if they can fix the UI.

mcb13

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2008
California
Not a fan either.

Haven't shown the update to my wife yet, but I'm sure she is going to displeased with the change.

MagnumJoe

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2008
I liked the earlier version too. However, I have only had my ATV for 3 days. I can adapt.

ansalmo

macrumors regular
May 23, 2005
Not keen on it, it's way too Toytown for me. I particularly dislike the border that shows which icon is selected as it's too thin to spot easily (particularly with me being colour-blind) - I can often find it only by clicking around and watching for movement.

One of the (if not the) weakest UI from Apple in a long time.

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
It's pretty bad. My main complaint with it is that everything looks the same, when in practice the Movies, Music, Computers and Settings icons should have priority, or at least be visually separated from everything else.

More than anything else, though, the redesign doesn't make sense. For one thing, it's not internally coherent — the main menu interface has been spruced up (for better or worse), but anything further down the menu hierarchy is unchanged. Rather than the dull menu listing which looks essentially identical to Front Row — a design from 2005! — a switch to something akin to the Trailers interface, where you have a tiled artwork view, would be much more usable. You could have it so that a pause of, say, two or three seconds on a particular title brings up an overlay with all the particulars of the film. That way, you'd have room for more info and options, rather than the present situation where everything is hidden under arcane button presses and submenus. Chopping the screen into two halves is a waste of real estate, in my opinion.

Still, it looks shiny. I just realised what it reminds me of — ye olde Aqua interface! Could that be Mountain Lion's ‘one more thing’? :eek:

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Not a fan either.

Haven't shown the update to my wife yet, but I'm sure she is going to displeased with the change.

haha. Yeah, the last one seemed easier. My wife HATES it when I do updates.

I found the last UI musch more slick.

She flipped when I did Lion upgrade on my Mac and no doubt she will freak with Mountain Lion.

pedz

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
I can see where they are going with it, much more iOS like. I like having the various options from within the Movies, TV Shows, ... apps. Being able to jump to search and trailers from within the app is nice. But it seems like they just threw it together. With some improvements I think it will be fine (let me reorder and hide icons and more clearly distinguish the currently selected icon).

The new interface definitely lends itself to new apps. Expanding the internet list on the old interface was pretty clunky, have to assume app support was the main driver (either controlled addition of apps as it is now or an app store in the future). Have to assume they will improve on it.

Dan DRC

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2011
I would like it better if you could move the icons around to customize the interface. It all does seem like a waste of space for now. Maybe it will get better with updates.

TomH TX

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
I HATE it! Looks juvenile, and apparently NO ability to move or rearrange the icons. LOT of wasted space.

Dr99

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2011
Add me to the list that doesn't like the new interface. The previous interface was very XMB-like, but I also thought it was logical. Not sure how big blob icons is a step forward in design. They don't even all fit on the page.

Hopefully it is a step towards something bigger.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
not to mention the colors. looks like something designed to appeal to preschoolers.

I feel like this is the same issue but in reverse that we had moving from the sidebar in 10.6 to the monochromatic colors in 10.7.

There's something strange going on at Apple, where they take with one hand and give with the other.

I'm not a fan of the new UI, either. Although, I'm not convinced the horizontal menu was an efficient design either.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
I will say that I'm getting used to it, but I also prefer the old interface...or if they must go this direction, it seems to be that they could do a much better job...including the obvious option to hide and / or delete unused 'apps'

N-Y

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2009
considering this is now 1080p compatible... i wasn't impressed with the UI... Icons are too big, things are just don't look nice on my beautiful tv

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Yeah, I'm not a fan of it. Having to enter text is a very tedious and un-Apple-like process. There has to be a better way to navigate those screens! Siri, where are you?

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
I've tried several times to hold my finger on the icons on my TV to get them to wiggle, but it doesn't work.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I'm amazed! Usually on MacRumors, people who say anything about disliking Apple are shot down.

Personally, every time I've updated an Apple product, I've been disappointed or some part of the OS has been ruined, so no longer update until I'm absolutely sure.

Seems it has really paid off this time.

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
I liked the old version but really looking forward to the new iPad and using the ATV as just a way to airplay my iOS everything to my TV without wires.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Do they really listen to people over there

Yep. The biggest misconception is that they don't listen, but if you look at keynotes where they talk about customer feedback, you'll see they do listen.

Not to mention I have a friend at Apple who said that he 100% assures me they listen. (He's at Apple corporate, I can't go into detail for his sake but everyone has seen is work).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.