Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 16, 2012, 05:36 AM   #1
sherouk
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
dropped ipod touch in water , i need a specific answer on what to do ? help pleasee

pleassssse help .

i dropped my ipod touch in water ,but it only sat there for about 5 mins . the problem is i immediately tried to open it . i opened it for a second then the screen went dark .

i have been putting it in rice for about 3 days now . now i tried to open it .it wont work at all . should i try to charge it ???? ,,, i heard that someone had the same problem his ipod wouldn't work after 3 days but when he tried after 2 weeks .it worked . so should i just be patient and re-place it in rice for couple of days more ????? or is that just useless ??

also if the ipod is dead ,will the data on it be lost to ?
sherouk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 05:37 AM   #2
William.Mantle
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Go to an Apple store... Buy a new one... Look after it better
William.Mantle is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 05:40 AM   #3
sherouk
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by William.Mantle View Post
Go to an Apple store... Buy a new one... Look after it better

i just read that some people having the same problem managed to get it fixed ok .. so please be helpful .i wont be able to afford new one .

Last edited by sherouk; Mar 16, 2012 at 05:48 AM.
sherouk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 06:08 AM   #4
John T
macrumors 68020
 
John T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William.Mantle View Post
Go to an Apple store... Buy a new one... Look after it better
It's sad, but true! Electronics and water don't mix.
John T is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:24 AM   #5
Julien
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherouk View Post
pleassssse help .

i dropped my ipod touch in water ,but it only sat there for about 5 mins . the problem is i immediately tried to open it . i opened it for a second then the screen went dark ....
Setting in water is very bad but turning the Power On almost certainly destroyed it for good. If you dropped an electric heater in the tub would you pull it out, plug it in and then cut it on? This is what you did to your iTouch.
Julien is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:28 PM   #6
bigfatipod
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherouk View Post
i dropped my ipod touch in water ,but it only sat there for about 5 mins
You mean it sat in the water for 5 minutes? Five minutes is a very long time.... Keep going with the rice...odds are probably against you.

Good luck
bigfatipod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:41 PM   #7
AlabamaSlammer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Alabama
Buy a new one. Not worth the trouble if it does turn back on. With the water damage it could last a few years or 10 seconds after it powers on, if it ever does
__________________
2012 13" RMBP, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd
Verizon 16gb iPhone 5s
16gb iPad Mini
AlabamaSlammer is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:29 PM   #8
PieVine96
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
I dropped my HTC in a swimming pool (well, it was in my pocket and I sort of jumped in..) and I just stuck it in rice a few days later and went back to it after a week or two, there's still rice in it but it works, the iPod is pretty similar (sort of- touchscreen, both hand-held electronics etc etc), but the battery life will almost certainly be shortened significantly, you might need to get a new battery and screen off of eBay, they have allot of cheap electronics..

Chances are your stuffed though, iPods aren't built to last- I had a 64gb 3rd Gen 'Touch once, lasted 4 months before I (correctly!) removed the charger and it pulled some of the mechanics out.. you could always buy a 'Touch with a faulty screen for less than 20-30, and buy a cheap screen (my friend got a 'Touch screen for about 20)

Last edited by PieVine96; Mar 16, 2012 at 07:12 PM.
PieVine96 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:37 PM   #9
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God
 
-aggie-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where bunnies are welcome.
You have water damage. You said it was "only" in the water for 5 minutes. It doesn't matter if it was in the water for 5 seconds; it's ruined. You told the first poster to be helpful. He was. Very. You compounded your problems by turning it on. You've done all you can do and putting it in rice for a month isn't going to matter. The water is gone, but the circuits are ruined.
__________________
Google with site:macrumors.com as a parameter.
DFU Mode
-aggie- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 05:23 PM   #10
hchung
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by -aggie- View Post
You have water damage. You said it was "only" in the water for 5 minutes. It doesn't matter if it was in the water for 5 seconds; it's ruined. You told the first poster to be helpful. He was. Very. You compounded your problems by turning it on. You've done all you can do and putting it in rice for a month isn't going to matter. The water is gone, but the circuits are ruined.
Exactly what they said.

There's all sorts of things that could have gone wrong. Board traces exposed to liquids with voltage across them will get eaten away. Or voltages being exposed to parts that wern't expecting those levels could get fried. All sorts of things.

And there were better ideas as to what to do when it happened. Rice is suboptimal.

1. Remove all power if possible. Not too easy for an ipod touch since you'd have to open it and desolder the battery. Both risky for most people.

2. Remove all conductive liquids. Faster way to do it is by going out and buying a bottle of 95%+ rubbing alcohol. And dunking the ipod in for at least as long as it was contaminated before. After making sure the water/oj/coke/beer dissolved into the alcohol, flush that out with more alcohol and then dry it out.

As for the data, it's recoverable by a professional, but that'll cost way more than the ipod did to begin with. The first step of that is desoldering the NAND... not easy.
hchung is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:22 AM   #11
sherouk
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchung View Post
Exactly what they said.

There's all sorts of things that could have gone wrong. Board traces exposed to liquids with voltage across them will get eaten away. Or voltages being exposed to parts that wern't expecting those levels could get fried. All sorts of things.

And there were better ideas as to what to do when it happened. Rice is suboptimal.

1. Remove all power if possible. Not too easy for an ipod touch since you'd have to open it and desolder the battery. Both risky for most people.

2. Remove all conductive liquids. Faster way to do it is by going out and buying a bottle of 95%+ rubbing alcohol. And dunking the ipod in for at least as long as it was contaminated before. After making sure the water/oj/coke/beer dissolved into the alcohol, flush that out with more alcohol and then dry it out.

As for the data, it's recoverable by a professional, but that'll cost way more than the ipod did to begin with. The first step of that is desoldering the NAND... not easy.
well i have few questions to ask ??


1- must i apply the rubber alcohol method now ? or can i wait maybe another week ? (will waiting awhile affect the chance of that method to work ?????

2- will using the rubber alcohol still fix it ,if the circuits are ruined(because that's the reason why ipod wont work ,right ?!) .if not , then what's the use of that method ??

thank you so much for the help

Last edited by sherouk; Mar 18, 2012 at 07:33 AM.
sherouk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:44 AM   #12
thewitt
macrumors 68000
 
thewitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Though it's only tangentially related, let me tell you a story. In 1982 or 83, there was massive flooding in Arizona. A school was flooded, and their 150 Apple II computers were filled inside with mud.

They brought the to the Apple dealer where I worked for help. All out of warranty. Apple was not really interested in doing anything. Their insurance did not cover flooding - an act of God...

The store would not help, but I offered to try on my own time.

They brought me 148 computers, all packed inside with mud... These were submerged in a flooded school for two weeks, then the mud hardened inside.

We took them apart and washed them. Literally. Soaking them in clean water, washing circuit boards, disassembling disk drives, monitors, mice and keyboards.

After a thorough washing with tap water, we rinsed with bottled water, let dry, and sprayed with a contact cleaner. This whole process took several weeks.

After assembling, most of the systems came back up without errors! We lost a dozen disk drives, some keyboards, mice and monitors, but we were able to get 120 of the 148 computers back up, passed their diagnostic test, and back in service.

I learned something about electronics that surprised me. As a newly graduated electrical engineer, I assumed everything was dead. It wasn't, and when I left Tucson a year later, virtually off of these computers were still in service.

Now how this all relates to your drowned iPod touch is as I said only tangential, but don't give up until you try!
thewitt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:06 AM   #13
sherouk
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
Though it's only tangentially related, let me tell you a story. In 1982 or 83, there was massive flooding in Arizona. A school was flooded, and their 150 Apple II computers were filled inside with mud.

They brought the to the Apple dealer where I worked for help. All out of warranty. Apple was not really interested in doing anything. Their insurance did not cover flooding - an act of God...

The store would not help, but I offered to try on my own time.

They brought me 148 computers, all packed inside with mud... These were submerged in a flooded school for two weeks, then the mud hardened inside.

We took them apart and washed them. Literally. Soaking them in clean water, washing circuit boards, disassembling disk drives, monitors, mice and keyboards.

After a thorough washing with tap water, we rinsed with bottled water, let dry, and sprayed with a contact cleaner. This whole process took several weeks.

After assembling, most of the systems came back up without errors! We lost a dozen disk drives, some keyboards, mice and monitors, but we were able to get 120 of the 148 computers back up, passed their diagnostic test, and back in service.

I learned something about electronics that surprised me. As a newly graduated electrical engineer, I assumed everything was dead. It wasn't, and when I left Tucson a year later, virtually off of these computers were still in service.

Now how this all relates to your drowned iPod touch is as I said only tangential, but don't give up until you try!

can you give me any suggestions on how can i try to fix it ,if possible ?
thank you so much for the post .it was inspiring.
sherouk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:02 PM   #14
kaielement
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
The problem is that you tried to turn it on. Which by what you are saying sounds like you may have shorted out the iPod. No amount of drying it out will help. Two things can happen now: either Apple Will fell sorry for you and give you a new iPod (which in rare cases does happen) or they will say well it was your fault and if they are feeling nice might and I say might give you 10% off on a new iPod. Oh and if you did open the iPod then apple may just flat out not do anything regardless because that voids the warrwnty. Sorry this happen to you. I went through something like this when I droped a cellphone in a pool so I totally get you, it SUCKS!!! Hope you get this worked out some how.
kaielement is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:38 AM   #15
hchung
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherouk View Post
well i have few questions to ask ??


1- must i apply the rubber alcohol method now ? or can i wait maybe another week ? (will waiting awhile affect the chance of that method to work ?????

2- will using the rubber alcohol still fix it ,if the circuits are ruined(because that's the reason why ipod wont work ,right ?!) .if not , then what's the use of that method ??

thank you so much for the help
The alcohol wash method is most likely NOT going to work now. It was supposed to be used immediately after the device got dropped in water to save it.

I posted that just so that you and anybody else reading would know of something better to do than to throw it in rice for a few weeks. It's just in case somebody remembers it the next time this sort of thing happens.

(one of my friends saved his old powerbook from orange juice with it once too, though he had to carefully pour to avoid getting anything on the hard drive)
hchung is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:21 AM   #16
thewitt
macrumors 68000
 
thewitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
At this point it sounds like you have nothing to lose by taking it apart and cleaning the circuit board and all connections with alcohol or even better electronics cleaning fluid, then putting it back together and charging it.
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2012, 02:40 AM   #17
davidcshaw55
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Use rice

Dropped my touch in water three days ago - it was in a case, and I got it out immediately. From previous experience with getting electrics/electronics wet, I know THE KEY thing is to resist the temptation to try to turn them on to check if they're working. What you've got to do is remove all the moisture before you press the on switch. So, remove any obvious excess moisture using tissues. If you're a camera nut and have those little sachets that come with cameras when shipped to prevent moisture build up, and if you have several of them, seal your touch in an airtight container with them.

However, most of us haven't got multiple sachets lying around so, as suggested on a different forum, I covered (completely) my touch in uncooked, regular rice and placed in an airtight contained.

Took it out this morning (after 72 hours) and it worked perfectly (I know from other forums that as well as affecting the electronics, one of the issues with even a light soaking such as mine had is that, even if the electronics are still working (and I could here mine still "pinging" as it received mails) is that moisture gets behind the screen and stops the famous "touch" function from working.

I think this rice solution is safer than suggestions I have seen to use ovens/hairdryers - it just requires patience to leave it in the rice for minimum 48 hours.

This refers to an IPod touch but logically should work equally well for any of our other electronic gizmos that get an unintended soaking.

Hope you find this helpful.
davidcshaw55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2012, 02:17 PM   #18
zepfhyr
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Take it to an Apple Store. Throw yourself on the mercy of the Genius Bar. You might be surprised.
zepfhyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Have You Dropped Your iPod touch? defunct32 iPod touch 22 Nov 27, 2013 08:27 PM
iPod Touch 5G water damage... help? boxoftea iPod touch 18 Apr 17, 2013 05:43 AM
Resolved: Dropped my iPod Touch in the water. LOLZpersonok iPod touch 11 Mar 21, 2013 08:17 PM
Water dropped phone with non water problems? stonyboys iPhone 14 Feb 22, 2013 11:59 AM
Dropped iPhone 4s in water!! Now touch Screen isnt working! HELP! whynotolivia iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Jan 13, 2013 02:45 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC