Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:25 AM   #1
hajime
macrumors 68000

PPT made on the Mac. Can't play .mov on the PC version of PowerPoint

Hello. I made a presentation using the Mac version of PowerPoint 2008. I saved the PPT file and all the movie files into a USB flash memory. When I played back the presentation directly from the USB flash memory on a PC, I got the error:

"The file you are attempting to play has an extension (.mov) that does not match the file format. Playing the file may result in unexpected behavior."

I answered Yes for "Do you want the player to try to play this content?" However, it does not work.

A search on the internet pointed to the Microsoft Website that suggests changing the video file format.

1. There are quite a few video files. Is there any way to fix the problem without converting the videos into another format? If not, what is the best format to use and which free converter do you recommend?

2. Is there a solution that guarantees I won't encounter this problem again regardless of which version the PowerPoint/QuickTime I use on the PC? The PC at the company that I will visit may not even has QuickTime installed.

Thanks.
hajime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:28 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba

What codec does the .mov file use?
Open the .mov file in QuickTime Player and open the Movie Inspector via CMD+I.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:12 AM   #3
hajime
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
What codec does the .mov file use?
Open the .mov file in QuickTime Player and open the Movie Inspector via CMD+I.
Thanks for the reply.

The videos are in various codex as follows: AAC, H.264; m1v; DV/DVCPRO- NTSC, Linear PCM; DV/DVCPRO - NTSC; MPEG-4 Video, AAC; Planar RGB; Linear PCM, H.264; msvc

I should have added that originally I made the presentation under Keynote. Then, I exported it as PowerPoint. Next, under the Mac version of PowerPoint, I added slides and made changes before I saved the PPT to a USB flash memory to use on a PC.
hajime is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:00 AM   #4
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

I'm interested in the answer to this as well. I'm asked to make presentations that play on Macs, PCs and iPads. Is there a movie format that plays on all three devices?
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:27 AM   #5
samh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajime View Post
Thanks for the reply.

The videos are in various codex as follows: AAC, H.264; m1v; DV/DVCPRO- NTSC, Linear PCM; DV/DVCPRO - NTSC; MPEG-4 Video, AAC; Planar RGB; Linear PCM, H.264; msvc

I should have added that originally I made the presentation under Keynote. Then, I exported it as PowerPoint. Next, under the Mac version of PowerPoint, I added slides and made changes before I saved the PPT to a USB flash memory to use on a PC.
Do the .MOV files play on the PC outside of powerpoint? Can you open and play them?
samh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help