Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OptyCT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
Per Apple's website description of the :apple:TV 3, "Rent or buy from thousands of movies and buy from thousands of TV episodes in top-quality 1080p HD from the iTunes Store."

Can anyone confirm whether or not movie rentals on the new :apple:TV stream 1080p?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Per Apple's website description of the :apple:TV 3, "Rent or buy from thousands of movies and buy from thousands of TV episodes in top-quality 1080p HD from the iTunes Store."

Can anyone confirm whether or not movie rentals on the new :apple:TV stream 1080p?

Yes it does. I watched Star Trek (2009 movie) last night, and I can honestly say that the quality of the streaming video from iTunes on the ATV3, was so good that I would be hard-pressed to distinguish the difference between that and a Blu-ray. Good job Apple.

RichardMZhlubb

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
So, will I be able to stream a 1080p movie rental from iTunes over my 3 Mbps DSL connection? Is it possible to start the stream early enough to buffer enough of the movie to make it work?

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
So, will I be able to stream a 1080p movie rental from iTunes over my 3 Mbps DSL connection? Is it possible to start the stream early enough to buffer enough of the movie to make it work?

Press play then pause it so the content can be buffered and than hit play...

Rideherhard

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2010

it'll take a long time to load.... I'm sure it'll be like a 3-4 hour wait (maybe longer) for a 1080P stream over 3 mbps. I have a 5mbps right now and a 40 min tv show in 720P takes an hour and 15 mins to load over iCloud on the AppleTV 2. Can't wait till my only internet provider ups their speed this year.

RichardMZhlubb

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
So I decided to download the rental to iTunes on my computer and then stream it to my new Apple TV, but I can't. First, I can't find the rental in my Apple TV menu, and second, I don't get an Airplay icon when I play the movie on my computer? Do I have to wait for it to completely download?

RichardMZhlubb

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
The answer, if anyone's interested, is that the rental download doesn't appear in the Apple TV menu until it has downloaded completely. You can watch it on your computer while it is still downloading, but not through the Apple TV. Once it had downloaded completely, I had no problem playing it on the Apple TV, and the 1080p video quality was fantastic.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
The rentals don't get to the cloud? If I rent a movie on my MacBook I have to stream it my apple tv? Or can I just go in the purchase tab on the apple tv and stream the rental from there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.