Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jateelover

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
I'm looking for a keyboard or keyboard case that lets you use the iPad normally when you don't need the keyboard. The closest I have found is the Logitech Fold up keyboard for iPad.

Amazon.com: Logitech Fold-Up Keyboard for iPad 2 (920-003544): Electronics

or the Zaggmate (and other models like this)

Amazon.com: ZAGGmate Aluminum iPad 1 (Case with Integrated Bluetooth Keyboard): Electronics

I just want to use the iPad normally, and have a keyboard when I need it. Think Asus eee pad slider. The problem with the logitech fold up is its freakin thick, and the zaggmate makes no sense to me because you have to remove it everytime you want to use your iPad. Even if the zaggmate was the other way around, and was on the back of the iPad, it would work (I understand they do this due to thickness).Also, the clamcase is ok, but when you fold it back, its incredibly thick. I just think the iPad should be used normally, then have quick access to a keyboard when needed. I simply cannot find one, other then folios, which don't really serve my purpose. I think the closest one to it is the touchfire, but thats kind of iffy, cause it uses the screen keyboard. Any help would be appreciated!

pekoe1111

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
I am With You

Typing right now on the Zaggfolio that I got from Best Buy. It is pretty thick and heavy, but the keyboard is excellent. I thought about the Adonit Writer Plus, but it appears to be in the same size and weight range, with the IPad more easily detachable.

I am gravitating toward the M.I.C Gadget Keyboard that mimics the Zaggmate. It is very sleek, but the clincher may be that the new Gadget keyboard description on their website says the new one coming out for the new IPad has a hinge, enabling you to fold the keyboard around so you can use the IPad as a tablet.

Although the new keyboard is shipping, there are no photos of this new keyboard and the feature. I have a request into them for photos, so once I see that, I may pull the trigger on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.