Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:30 AM   #1
ADAADW
macrumors member

Clean install of iOS 5.1 WITHOUT restoring from a back up and Battery Life

Hi There

I'm very new to updating iOS software and im wondering how to do a clean install without restoring from a back up. I want to have 5.1 fresh like ive just opened the box to my 4S. Ive heard many issues in regards to battery life with using the delta update so i thought a fresh install would help with battery life. I'll be doing this on a 4S with 5.0.1 and iPad 2 with 4.3.3 pre installed. Any thoughts on if this will truly affect the battery life on either device?

Any help is appreciated!
(also i didn't see a post on this so that's why im deciding to post it)
ADAADW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:50 AM   #2
PaulyD
macrumors 6502

Connect phone/ipad and click restore in itunes. Let it do its business and once done choose "setup as new iphone/ipad" on the startup screen

That simple

Mid 2010 15" Macbook Pro iPhone 5 32GB white iPad 3 32GB white TV 2
PaulyD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:07 PM   #3
ADAADW
macrumors member

Awesome, thanks PaulyD! I guess im just a bit aprehensive when it comes to battery life, its been great so far on both devices and i didnt want to loose it. But thanks for that
ADAADW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 06:22 PM   #4
Arelunde
macrumors Demi-God

Another option is to restore using a different PC/Mac than you usually do. After the OS is downloaded and installed, you will get a message asking if you want to sync to this computer and the warning your device is synced to another computer. Click NO (don't do the sync) and disconnect from the computer.

If you later want to sync this device, USB it to your regular iTunes/computer and then do a synch.

I have to do all iOS updates to my iPhone4 and iPad2 this way. I have to use my laptop's iTunes to install the OS because I get endless error messages when using my desktop PC and the normal iTunes. Then I sync with my usual iTunes. Kind of a PITA, but it works.
Arelunde is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier