Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
Hey folks, so my iPad arrived this morning and I've spent the day being blown away by the screen and how incredible images viewed on it are. So, I've put together a little review of the screen from a photographers point of view and for photographers. It includes some side by side pixel level examples of the iPad 2 screen compared to the iPad 3 (again with photographers in mind).

Retina review

Enjoy :)

tstarks33

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Cool, thanks, a good read! I wish I used my ipad for photos more than I do now (which is not at all).

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Nice review :)
I'm sticking with my iPad 2 because I don't really have a compelling reason to go for the retina display, but I can certainly see the appeal for photographers - as a digital portfolio it will take some beating!

Kukulcan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Nice review :)
I'm sticking with my iPad 2 because I don't really have a compelling reason to go for the retina display, but I can certainly see the appeal for photographers - as a digital portfolio it will take some beating!

Awesome...so they are really doing some filtered upscaling this time instead of just quadrupling pixels ?!?

So there won't be an uproar when an app still has "lowres" grpahics like on iPhone 4?

RelentlessFruit

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Great little review there - thanks for taking the time :)

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Thanks for the review! I'm a semi-pro photog myself and the Retina is exactly why I upgraded. I show my portfolio, design comps, photos etc. to clients all the time and you're correct that while nice the iPad 2 screen just wasn't cutting it. My 3 should be here any minute. Very excited!

jasperk99

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2009
Hey folks, so my iPad arrived this morning and I've spent the day being blown away by the screen and how incredible images viewed on it are. So, I've put together a little review of the screen from a photographers point of view and for photographers. It includes some side by side pixel level examples of the iPad 2 screen compared to the iPad 3 (again with photographers in mind).

Retina review

And you can write it off as a business expense!!

macrat

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2003
Maui
Thanks Richard. It's on my shopping list behind the D800 that I'm also obsessing on. My iPad is only 9 months old and I will be looking to see how much I can sell it for in Craiglist.

I can hardly wait to take my iPad2 to the Apple store and do a side by side comp as well but coming from you, I'm totally convinced and stoked aleeady!

mariocapo

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2009
Las Vegas
Semi related question. I just got the new iPad last night at midnight at Walmart. What's the best way to transfer photos without losing any resolution and detail? I know I can just use a USB, but do I have any wireless options that maintain the same quality. Like DropBox for instance? Does that completely preserve the quality? Sorry I just don't wanna lose out on any detail. Thanks!

phillyred79

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
Thanks Richard. It's on my shopping list behind the D800 that I'm also obsessing on. My iPad is only 9 months old and I will be looking to see how much I can sell it for in Craiglist.

I can hardly wait to take my iPad2 to the Apple store and do a side by side comp as well but coming from you, I'm totally convinced and stoked aleeady!

That picture of the bird when comparing iPad 2 to iPad "3" speaks volumes! A picture is worth a 1000 words eh? :) Thanks for the review!

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2012
I really enjoyed this review, for real. You had good pictures, a good language etc. Seriously the best review of the iPad 3 so far. (Well, you didn't write about all the things but 2 important things and i enjoyed it!)

mariocapo

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2009
Las Vegas
Makes me wish I got the Black one instead. I originally wanted the White, then changed to Black, but they only had it in 16 Gb. :mad: Ugh. lol.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005

Retina review

Awesome Review! Do you have backlight bleed though?

qCzar

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
SFBA, CA
One of the main reasons I got my self an iPad 3. A nice big 64GB in black. It's great to hear a photographers take. When I transfer a full-size photo to an iPad 2, the iPad doesn't zoom in all the way. Is there any noticeable difference in on-device zoom? It doesn't matter all that much, just more of a nagging question. But I'll soon find out myself :)

Semi related question. I just got the new iPad last night at midnight at Walmart. What's the best way to transfer photos without losing any resolution and detail? I know I can just use a USB, but do I have any wireless options that maintain the same quality. Like DropBox for instance? Does that completely preserve the quality? Sorry I just don't wanna lose out on any detail. Thanks!

That'll work. There's also Wireless Syncing with iTunes on all iOS Devices running iOS 5, given that your OS is capable (10.6.8 and up I think). But why bother when you can put your photos in Albums within iPhoto and just tell iTunes to sync iPhoto Albums. Simple way to have a portfolio on your iPad with categories.

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
Thank you for the kind replies everyone, glad you enjoyed reading my little write up :)

I put all my images in a folder and sync that folder via iTunes - I read once that this was the best way to do it as all other ways compress the images slightly. I have no idea how much truth is in that though to be honest.

I really enjoyed this review, for real. You had good pictures, a good language etc. Seriously the best review of the iPad 3 so far. (Well, you didn't write about all the things but 2 important things and i enjoyed it!)
Appreciated, thank you!

Awesome Review! Do you have backlight bleed though?
I haven't checked. If I notice it in normal use I'll worry, but I won't got out of my way to look for it :)

One of the main reasons I got my self an iPad 3. A nice big 64GB in black. It's great to hear a photographers take. When I transfer a full-size photo to an iPad 2, the iPad doesn't zoom in all the way. Is there any noticeable difference in on-device zoom? It doesn't matter all that much, just more of a nagging question. But I'll soon find out myself :)
I've not actually put a higher res image than the screen on yet. I'm curious to know how a 36mp image from the upcoming Nikon D800 would look though :D

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Very well written review. You sure you're a photographer and not a writer? :)

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
Very well written review. You sure you're a photographer and not a writer? :)
Thanks, you saying my photos are rubbish :D

Seriously though, I've been told that before. I just write in a way I think would be good to read if I were the one reading...! lol

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I agree with the review. It's best to get the black iPad 3 if you are a photographer.

Great review!

qCzar

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
SFBA, CA
I've not actually put a higher res image than the screen on yet. I'm curious to know how a 36mp image from the upcoming Nikon D800 would look though :D

From the looks of it, a 15MP image doesn't seem to zoom in all the way. Once the iPad 2 comes back home today, I'll put the two to the test with the same image. However, I am able to zoom in significantly closer using two fingers after double tapping, but then springs back to it's "100% Zoom" when I release, same thing happened on the iPad 2. So, including full size images may or may not be beneficial depending on how detail oriented you or your clients are when viewing photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.