Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:59 PM   #1
chrysos
macrumors newbie

Restore from backup or New install?

While I'm sitting here waiting for Fedex I am cleaning up Itunes and I was wondering if it is better to restore from a backup of my ipad 1 or set it up as a new ipad. My gut tells me its better to set up as new.

Any experiences with the restore from backup out there?
chrysos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:02 PM   #2
DS3
macrumors 6502a

Ive never heard of it making any difference, this isn't windows ME or anything.

I restored rather than check through which apps I want and set up folders and settings all over again. No problem here.
DS3 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:03 PM   #3
iMaven
macrumors 6502

I don't want to restore from my old iPad. I want to set it up as a new iPad then configure it and add a lot of the Retina Apps.
iMaven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:03 PM   #4
KeithJenner
macrumors 6502a

I restored two new iPads from backup and it went perfectly.

Much easier than organising everything again.
KeithJenner is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:08 PM   #5
G77
macrumors regular

Restore of course. I restored for all my subsequent ios devices and it always worked great. You can restore directly from icloud...
G77 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:09 PM   #6
ZBoater
macrumors 604

I have 21GB of apps and there is no way I am recreating all those folders. Restore for me. Going on 5 hours now....
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:11 PM   #7
larmonkm
macrumors member

well, my plan was to do a backup install. i did it, and it didn't go as quickly or as smoothly as i'd hoped. the big issue is that i have to redownload all my music from the cloud. i had hoped to avoid this, because i DON'T have unlimited internet (no choice where i live in alaska) and didn't want to use all my data on stupid music that i'd already put on an ipad once before. i tried to add music back via itunes, however it would not let me...telling me i had to use the cloud. so, i am now in the process of just starting over and hoping it works out.
larmonkm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:13 PM   #8
iapplelove
macrumors 68000

at first i was gonna set up as new but just now decided on restore from back up

this thing is sick right away i noticed how incredibly sharp my background was
iapplelove is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:16 PM   #9
master-ceo
macrumors 65816

After much self debate, I setup as new. I'm going to have to use the hell out of file explorer to get the data I want in my apps though.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:17 PM   #10
ZBoater
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by master-ceo View Post
After much self debate, I setup as new. I'm going to have to use the hell out of file explorer to get the data I want in my apps though.
So you are not restoring from backup because....?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:18 PM   #11
K4LK
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysos View Post
While I'm sitting here waiting for Fedex I am cleaning up Itunes and I was wondering if it is better to restore from a backup of my ipad 1 or set it up as a new ipad. My gut tells me its better to set up as new.

Any experiences with the restore from backup out there?
Setting up as new is way too much work. Restore from backup works great. Suggestion: remove all the big videos before you backup, otherwise iTunes will put them all on the new iPad (making you wait to play).
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:19 PM   #12
MaxxTraxx
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by larmonkm View Post
well, my plan was to do a backup install. i did it, and it didn't go as quickly or as smoothly as i'd hoped. the big issue is that i have to redownload all my music from the cloud. i had hoped to avoid this, because i DON'T have unlimited internet (no choice where i live in alaska) and didn't want to use all my data on stupid music that i'd already put on an ipad once before. i tried to add music back via itunes, however it would not let me...telling me i had to use the cloud. so, i am now in the process of just starting over and hoping it works out.
Just uncheck the box to sync with your computer
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:19 PM   #13
Swampthing
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
I have 21GB of apps and there is no way I am recreating all those folders. Restore for me. Going on 5 hours now....
I have over 30GB of apps, and it only took about 1 hour by doing a Restore from iTunes. Learned my lesson before with iPhone, it is much faster than restoring from the iCloud.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:30 PM   #14
ZBoater
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampthing View Post
I have over 30GB of apps, and it only took about 1 hour by doing a Restore from iTunes. Learned my lesson before with iPhone, it is much faster than restoring from the iCloud.
Argghhh, and NOW you tell me!

I'm down to my last couple of apps, 5 1/2 hours in. Sheesh...
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:32 PM   #15
master-ceo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
So you are not restoring from backup because....?
I was anxious to use the new beast. If it gets to overwhelming to transfer my data, I might let it restore overnight though.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:33 PM   #16
ZBoater
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by master-ceo View Post
I was anxious to use the new beast. If it gets to overwhelming to transfer my data, I might let it restore overnight though.
Yeah, right? I probably should have done the same...
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:36 PM   #17
scriptlol
macrumors member

The thought of doing a 'fresh install' of an ipad never even crossed my mind. We aren't in the windows world.
scriptlol is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:38 PM   #18
G77
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptlol View Post
The thought of doing a 'fresh install' of an ipad never even crossed my mind. We aren't in the windows world.
Exactly! I dont know why is somebody even thinking about it...
G77 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:43 PM   #19
jeffg819
macrumors regular

Forced simplicity. Doing a fresh install for me was a way to really think about the apps I use and whether to bring them to the new iPad.

Like a lot of things in life, the 80/20 rule rules!
jeffg819 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:43 PM   #20
Ayemerica
macrumors 6502a

Restore from backup, prevents a lot of headaches for me.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:45 PM   #21
ZBoater
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffg819 View Post
Forced simplicity. Doing a fresh install for me was a way to really think about the apps I use and whether to bring them to the new iPad.

This is a good point. I have sooooooo much crap on my iPad I could have used a fresh install.

Oh well, it's almost done now. Maybe for the new New iPad.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:47 PM   #22
G77
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffg819 View Post

Well, you lose setup and data for apps you use... I am just ruthlessly deleting crap i dont use.
G77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:53 PM   #23
100Teraflops
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithJenner View Post
I restored two new iPads from backup and it went perfectly.

Much easier than organising everything again.
I agree! I thought about setting up as a new iPad, but it would be more time consuming in the end.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 05:08 PM   #24
Colgin
macrumors member

OK, so if I restore from backup will I be able to then rename the new Ipad to keep it distinct from the old one. We are keeping our Ipad 1, which will go to my wife. For initial setup of the Ipad 3 I like the simplicity of just doing from a backup. But going forward the contents of the two will be different and I don't want them to sync identically re apps, etc.
Colgin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 05:16 PM   #25
Bob Coxner
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colgin View Post
OK, so if I restore from backup will I be able to then rename the new Ipad to keep it distinct from the old one. We are keeping our Ipad 1, which will go to my wife. For initial setup of the Ipad 3 I like the simplicity of just doing from a backup. But going forward the contents of the two will be different and I don't want them to sync identically re apps, etc.
How to rename your device(s)

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT3965

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad