Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zander-Fragile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
I'm curious if there is anyway to remove the startup sound when booting up my ibook. It can be frustrating when I enter a class a couple minutes late and I'm unable to start up quietly. I'm aware that I can turn off the volume before shutting down or plug in a pair of headphones but that ultimately seems like a clumsy solution. So is there anyway to remove the sound completely? Thanks.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
[1] Why shut down your iBook in the first place? Just sleep it and you won't have to worry about the chime. ;)

[2] If you must start up, try holding the mute button on the keyboard as you start up - this should do it for you, or so I've heard.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
The Korg 'C' chime is built into the OS, coded right into the boot strap, many have tired to remove or modify it, and as of yet, I know of nobody that has changed the Mac Boot sound.

If you shut down with the computer muted, you won't hear it.

Sleep is a good option, and oddly conserves more power than a fresh boot for a certain duration.

Headphones will at least turn off the internal speakers.

I know sleep is not an option if you change batteries, which I do. So I usually remember to mute the computer.

I guess that to see if sleep uses more power than a fresh boot, for a given sleep lenght, one would have to note the battery stats from Finder-->About This Mac-->More-->Hardware Tab-->Power and run afew simple tests to see how much power a boot uses.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I suspect the sound is in the firmware somewhere, since it dings before anything gets passed to the OS loader (if I understand correctly).

The best case is to mute before you shutdown. Works for me.

Zander-Fragile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
I'm always afraid to carry my ibook around in sleepmode between classes due to heat and harddrive worries. Are my concerns unfounded? I carry my ibook around in one of those wetsuit-like cases inside an over-the-shoulder bag, and I worry that it would get really hot in there. I also worry that I could damage the harddrive or some other component by carrying it around in sleepmode over my shoulder.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Zander-Fragile said:
I'm always afraid to carry my ibook around in sleepmode between classes due to heat and harddrive worries. Are my concerns unfounded? I carry my ibook around in one of those wetsuit-like cases inside an over-the-shoulder bag, and I worry that it would get really hot in there. I also worry that I could damage the harddrive or some other component by carrying it around in sleepmode over my shoulder.
You're worrying too much. I've traveled to other countries with it in sleep mode - I'm sure it can make it to geography class and back. ;)

When in sleep mode, the HD is shut down, etc. Any damage in sleep mode you'd see in shut down mode as well. Besides, if you're asleep in class, why not your iBook? :p

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Zander-Fragile said:
You know, they're called portables for a reason. The hard drive stops spinning and the heads are locked when you put the computer in sleep, so no worries on that count. In fact, basically it just runs a trickle of power to RAM to keep the data in there. Processor stops running, all that stuff, so the 'Book isn't generating any heat. I'd say you should stop worrying and start sleeping. Better for that precious uptime too. :p

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The Mac start-up chime is the equivalent of the screechy POST (power on self test) sound you hear on PC. It's not part of the OS at all; it's reporting the results of low-level hardware tests prior to boot up. The Mac chime will change if problems are detected. The chances that you will ever hear an altered Mac start up chime are very small (for me, something like once in 20 years of owning many Macs), but just the same, it's a diagnostic procedure and you really don't want to change or eliminate it -- even if you could.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
ChrisBrightwell said:
I suspect the sound is in the firmware somewhere, since it dings before anything gets passed to the OS loader (if I understand correctly).
Yes, it still goes bunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng! if you don't have OS X installed.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Why remove the sound completely? Before you shut down just turn the sound off with the F3 button (on the powerbooks at least).

It's quite impressive when you hook up to some nice speakers and the room shakes when you turn the computer on :p

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
It's amazing that I can never find what I want on Google when I need it. Anyway, there is at least one startup sound preference pane for MacOS X (I think the one I use is called Startup Sound Pref Pane or something but I can't find a URL for it) which will let you either mute or change the volume of the startup chime. It installs as a preference pane so you can change the volume at any time. It only affects the startup chime, nothing else.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I find the sound gives me a soothing feeling.....

You know the sound always belongs to a Mac :)
If I hear that sound when I don't expect it, I get all warm inside... and go looking for tha certain Mac. :cool:
It's just like someone is saying "Hello, friend" :D

It's fun to hear the different startup chimes through the years. Check out MacTracker ;)

Eh.... I wonder if the MacTels will sound the same.... :confused: :eek:

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Installed Psst as noted above. Weird- I really missed the chime. There is no documentation with Psst, so to remove it, run the Remove Psst. Trashing the application does nothing.

floatingspirit

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
Zander-Fragile said:
I'm curious if there is anyway to remove the startup sound when booting up my ibook. It can be frustrating when I enter a class a couple minutes late and I'm unable to start up quietly. I'm aware that I can turn off the volume before shutting down or plug in a pair of headphones but that ultimately seems like a clumsy solution. So is there anyway to remove the sound completely? Thanks.

I had the same frustration. This has been working like a dream for me on my G3 and other Macs. Installs with no fuss. Enjoy!

http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/software.en.html

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
MacsRgr8 said:
I find the sound gives me a soothing feeling.....

You know the sound always belongs to a Mac :)
If I hear that sound when I don't expect it, I get all warm inside... and go looking for tha certain Mac. :cool:
It's just like someone is saying "Hello, friend" :D

It's fun to hear the different startup chimes through the years. Check out MacTracker ;)

Eh.... I wonder if the MacTels will sound the same.... :confused: :eek:

hmmm, I wouldn't mind if the chime changed - but they'll prolly remain the same.

tuqqer

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2005
Boulder, CO
Zander-Fragile said:
I'm curious if there is anyway to remove the startup sound when booting up my ibook. ... So is there anyway to remove the sound completely? Thanks.

Most definitely there is a way, and it's the first thing I install on my G5. It's a cool little freeware called StartupSound.prefPane.

You can set your startup sound to any level you want, including muted, which is what I do.

Yes, yes, of course you can simply press and hold down the mute key while starting up each and every time. But if you have your Mac set to come on automatically at 5:30am each morning, and you have $300 speakers attached to it, you can wake the entire house. Why close down at night and start up fresh each day? Because there are a myriad of things that only start working right again once you restart the Mac. And given Tiger's extremely fast start time now, it's one of the easiest and fastest ways to repair all sorts of glitches.

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
StartupSound.prefPane

floatingspirit said:
I had the same frustration. This has been working like a dream for me on my G3 and other Macs. Installs with no fuss. Enjoy!

http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/software.en.html

Thats the one I was looking for! The one that I use and greatly appreciate (I don't mind the startup chime, but mine is really REALLY LOUD. I had to either kill it or turn down the volume somehow. StartupSound.prefPane works like a charm.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
freiheit said:
Thats the one I was looking for! The one that I use and greatly appreciate (I don't mind the startup chime, but mine is really REALLY LOUD. I had to either kill it or turn down the volume somehow. StartupSound.prefPane works like a charm.
I just downloaded it and will give this a try. Looks like it does exactly what the original poster was looking for.

Firefly1384

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2008

http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/index.en.html

That should work. It disabled the sound on mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.