Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sharkoid

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Should I let the battery fully drain then go for a full charge over night? Or does this not matter for the Ipads battery

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Should I let the battery fully drain then go for a full charge over night? Or does this not matter for the Ipads battery

I do that out of habit when I buy a new device, I'm sure sure it's strictly necessary though. I do think it's a good thing to do periodically (every few months). Probably doesn't have to be not he very first change, though.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Not necessary anymore, although like the poster before me, I do tend to do a deep discharge every month or two. Mine shipped at 85%, dropped to about 80% during the restore.

I'm sure it'll drop to the 60's or 50's tonight, but it'll get a full solid charge from the wall charger overnight.

Just use it and have fun. Occasionally drain it all the way down, but don't fret over it. You'll hear a lot of differing opinions on this topic. :)

Jlrera

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2011
East Amherst
Yeah like the above guy said your gonna get a ton of different answers, some people like to calibrate there battery by draining it and charging it a certain way, I never did it with any of the other iPad's never had any issue.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I do that out of habit when I buy a new device, I'm sure sure it's strictly necessary though. I do think it's a good thing to do periodically (every few months). Probably doesn't have to be not he very first change, though.

Pretty much exactly how I do it.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Li batteries have "top memory", another wordsyou have to charge them to 100%. Ni batteries have "bottom" memory, so have to drain themе to 0. Ipad is on Li batteries and the only reson you need to drain it once in a while to calibrate your battery meter.

Sharkoid

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
:) thanks for the responses guys! Loving my new toy can't wait to take it on a trip so I can take advantage of my LTE

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Li batteries have "top memory", another wordsyou have to charge them to 100%. Ni batteries have "bottom" memory, so have to drain themе to 0. Ipad is on Li batteries and the only reson you need to drain it once in a while to calibrate your battery meter.

Yes, draning them fully (or as much as the monitoring circuits allow) shortens their life. Charge often and keep as fully charged as possible except for the once ever couple of months to a complete drain.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
You should never let it drain to zero if you can help it, that lowers the overall battery life. The only time you should ever do it is if the battery somehow gets up of sync so need to be recalibrated. These batteries as designed to be constantly topped off, that will give them the longest lifespan.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I was under the impression that recent tech (MacBook air, ipads etc) did not need calibrations ever and that it is actually bad to drain your battery below 15%. I'm under the impression that doing so should be avoided when possible.

Someone who knows better want to chime in? EDIT: oh wow I'm late to the party. I see people have already posted about that.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
When I got my new droid razr maxx last month it claimed to have killer battery life. I wasn't impressed the first few days since I charged it up out of the box. I then did a complete drain as many people on the razr forms suggested and the battery life after the full drain has been amazing!! So I will be doing the same on my iPad.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
They say before you use any new electronics let it charge over night first, then discharge all the way before charging again... Then let it charge overnight again... After that you can charge discharge how ever you want. But it is reccomended to do this process again once a month to keep the battery calibrated.

Did I do this? NO I couldn't wait. :D

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
You are not calibrating the battery with a full discharge, you are resetting the battery charge indicator meter. If you don't care about the accuracy of the meter, there is no need to ever fully discharge the iPad.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I alway calibrate my electronics with one or two drains at first. I drain it down to 10% or so, fully recharge and then do it again. After that I do it once every few months. Even Apple recommends you do this.

Otherwise, I tend to plug mine in whenever I'm not using it. Lots of small charges are much easier on a battery than a few deep drains and recharges.

Google it and you can find several articles on it.

Oh, I never drain it to zero. I've had a couple of phones where I accidentally did that and actually bricked one of them. It never came back. It was older and I think it just gave up the ghost with that drain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.