Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickrinaldi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
I noticed today, whenever i try to install, remove or upgrade any cydia app it all of a sudden wants me to remove overboard and spire. I don't want to uninstall them so I can't do anything with cydia right now. anyone know what could have caused this or how to get it to stop asking me to remove these apps?

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
The same thing happened to me last night. I went ahead to see what would happen if I did uninstall them on a test device, and not only does it remove the apps, it renders all Cydia apps useless. If you tap on the jailbreak apps, they immediately crash. I'm not sure what's going on with Cydia, but I'd warn people not to update any Cydia apps for the time being.

tevanz

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2012
I noticed today, whenever i try to install, remove or upgrade any cydia app it all of a sudden wants me to remove overboard and spire. I don't want to uninstall them so I can't do anything with cydia right now. anyone know what could have caused this or how to get it to stop asking me to remove these apps?

The problem I found is in ifile I changed firmware to 5.1 that was why it was wanting to uninstall spire etc. I went ahead and tried installing new app, it removed spire and corona rebooted and cydia wouldn't work. I rejailbroke, everything was still on phone, went into ifile changed firmware back to 5.0.1 rebooted and reinstalled spire. Thank goodness everything was still exactly the way it was before, no problems...maybe that is the problem?

NanoNyrd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
If you fool AppStore into thinking you are on 5.1, you will also fool Cydia, and it will uninstall everything not compatible with 5.1, including Corona Untether 5.0.1. And that is the package that allows your phone to boot when jailbreaking, so uninstalling it is disastrous.

Do not fool your system into thinking you are on 5.1 !!!

So many did this that redsn0w now includes a feature for recovering from this on the 4S, where it was otherwise unrecoverable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.