Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Rakan
macrumors member

Smart Cover not locking/unlocking New iPad

Well first off, it's really not the "smart cover" from apple but its a case from invellop which uses identical technology (i.e magnets). I am on iOS 5.1 and i do not see a general setting in which i can turn the iPad cover on/off. It doesn't seem to be responding to me closing the cover or opening it. Any suggestions?
Rakan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:09 PM   #2
williamsonrg
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakan View Post
Well first off, it's really not the "smart cover" from apple but its a case from invellop which uses identical technology (i.e magnets). I am on iOS 5.1 and i do not see a general setting in which i can turn the iPad cover on/off. It doesn't seem to be responding to me closing the cover or opening it. Any suggestions?
Same here. Weird that the setting is gone.
williamsonrg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:41 PM   #3
thelead
macrumors 6502

I think the setting only shows up after using a smart cover. Since the 3rd party covers do not work the setting isn't activated yet.
thelead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:52 PM   #4
deeddawg
macrumors 603

See the other threads, Apple apparently moved the sensor.

Official smart covers work since there are several magnets, some third party ones may not if they don't have all the same magnets as Apple used.

@thelead is correct, setting appears only after using a smart cover. That's how it worked on the ipad2 also.
deeddawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 06:57 AM   #5
cr-z
macrumors newbie

My one works fine, I have an aftermarket case for my iPad, with the magnetic case. Have you tried going in to the settings for the magnet sleep mode option?
cr-z is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:51 PM   #6
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakan View Post
it's really not the "smart cover" from apple but its a case from invellop which uses identical technology (i.e magnets).
It is not an issue with your iPad but an issue with your fake smart cover.
brand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:41 AM   #7
zipur
macrumors 6502

I read it is not the placement but the polarity of some magnets placed with low end cases.
I also read that Apple will replace your smart cover for free if it fails,
zipur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Mark Booth
macrumors 65816

Yes, it's all about polarity, not placement. While there are more than 20 magnets contained in an Apple Smart Cover, only one of them is responsible for triggering the sleep/wake feature. Starting with the iPad 3, polarity matters.

Click the link in my signature for more details, including an HD video demonstration of the situation.

Mark
Mark Booth is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting