Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DMerg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
When I plug in headphones or a speaker in to my iPhone 4 sound only can be heard in the right side. I have tried several different headphones and speakers and they all have the same problem. I have tried gently brushing the inside of the jack with tissue paper and I have even used a shop vac to try to get any dust out that may be lurking. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you resolve it?

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
When I plug in headphones or a speaker in to my iPhone 4 sound only can be heard in the right side. I have tried several different headphones and speakers and they all have the same problem. I have tried gently brushing the inside of the jack with tissue paper and I have even used a shop vac to try to get any dust out that may be lurking. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you resolve it?

The issue never came up with my 4 or 4S, but it happened a lot with 3G (not sure why). Anyway, you're probably right that it's dust (pocket lint) that gets pushed very hard in there and packed down by putting the headphone plug into the jack. Grab a paper clip, bend it straight, stick it in, and fish around for a few seconds. Should get a big clump of lint, and you're done.

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
Or a big clump of sparks. NEVER put anything conductive into something full of magic smoke.

You mean don't put the headphone plug in either? It's designed to handle metal objects in that area of the phone. But fine, if you want to be completely safe, a toothpick will probably work fine.

camardelle

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Texas
If not a toothpick, then maybe one of the little shish kabob sticks? I think they're thinner. Or consider using one of the plastic toothpicks. Maybe that would work and have less chance of breaking off inside the connector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.