Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:38 PM   #1
str8bucs
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: WV
Incipio Smart Feather

Well I have been up in the air about a case and I like the way the smart case works but don't like how it can break away.

So I picked up the incipio smart feather for the iPad 2 and a black leather smart cover and I love it. It's slim and the smart cover just works, I was worried about the camera hole but it is dead on and it just works great.

So if you are looking for protection and a slim fit those 2 are perfect
__________________
13" 2010 MBP, 2.4, 8gb RAM, 500gb 7200 RPM; White iPhone 4s 16gb ; 1Gen 16gb Ipod Touch ; 4gb Ipod mini Silver, 16Gb iPad2 WiFi +3g, 2010 iMac 21.5 i3, New 2012 32gb iPad WiFi
str8bucs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:45 PM   #2
richpjr
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8bucs View Post
Well I have been up in the air about a case and I like the way the smart case works but don't like how it can break away.

So I picked up the incipio smart feather for the iPad 2 and a black leather smart cover and I love it. It's slim and the smart cover just works, I was worried about the camera hole but it is dead on and it just works great.

So if you are looking for protection and a slim fit those 2 are perfect
I have that combo, along with a Moko II that I impulse bought when they were 1/2 off. I like the slim combo, but definitely need something with more protection like the Moko at times. Unfortunately, it looks like the Moko has the same magnet placement issues others do, though they were very prompt and will be taking care of it.
richpjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:50 PM   #3
Patriot24
macrumors 68020
 
Patriot24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
I bought the Smart Feather as soon as they went on sale. Should be here in the next few days. I'll post back with my thoughts, but a major factor was the fact that it locks the smat cover in place.
__________________
iphone + air + ipad + time capsule + classic + shuffle + tv
Patriot24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:31 PM   #4
sparkomatic
macrumors 6502a
 
sparkomatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Do any stores have these cases or are y'all getting them online?

I imagine the stores don't have 'em yet but thought I'd ask.
__________________
Brandon
15" MacBook Pro Retina 2.7GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Mac mini 2.3GHz i5 Core
32GB Black iPad mini w/ Retina White 64GB iPhone 5s
sparkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:37 PM   #5
rwings01
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkomatic View Post
Do any stores have these cases or are y'all getting them online?

I imagine the stores don't have 'em yet but thought I'd ask.
Hi,

OP is using the iPad 2 version and he told me that it's a perfect fit via PM.

Hope this helps
rwings01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:35 AM   #6
batotman
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwings01 View Post
Hi,

OP is using the iPad 2 version and he told me that it's a perfect fit via PM.

Hope this helps
Fart. I almost grabbed one but figure it wouldn't work and grabbed a Speck Fitfolio instead. It's nice, but I just hate folio cases. Back to WM tomorrow. Thanks for the info. Waiting on my NGP to get here!
batotman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:50 AM   #7
Aboo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I tried two different incipio feather cases for iPad 2; they both fit, albeit a little tight with the camera hole off by about 2-3 mm on the back. Also, I am noticing a bulge across the middle of the back, I am assuming this is from a tight fit. Are you seeing that as well OP?
Aboo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:01 AM   #8
LostAggie
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
I just ordered the frost color. Let's me still show off the back of the iPad...
LostAggie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:17 AM   #9
clumsythief83
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
What is this smart feather that everyone is talking about? Saw few pics, but is it only the back case or does it include the smart cover? If yes, is it removable?
clumsythief83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:33 AM   #10
SYale
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California
Just wondering, did Apple "fix" the smart cover problems that I constantly saw when they were released. Such as ripping, magnets being flimsy in holding it to the screen, or marks/scratches do to unnoticeable friction between the side of the bezel and the smart cover's magnets?

I would love to get it, but I'm so unconvinced about the smart cover...
SYale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:50 AM   #11
sparkomatic
macrumors 6502a
 
sparkomatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwings01 View Post
Hi,

OP is using the iPad 2 version and he told me that it's a perfect fit via PM.

Hope this helps
Oh, okay. Thanks for the info!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYale View Post
Just wondering, did Apple "fix" the smart cover problems that I constantly saw when they were released. Such as ripping, magnets being flimsy in holding it to the screen, or marks/scratches do to unnoticeable friction between the side of the bezel and the smart cover's magnets?

I would love to get it, but I'm so unconvinced about the smart cover...
I've been using a leather smart cover with the iPad 2 and now my new one with no issues at all. I'm constantly folding it in half and rolling it to prop it up on a desk too.
__________________
Brandon
15" MacBook Pro Retina 2.7GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Mac mini 2.3GHz i5 Core
32GB Black iPad mini w/ Retina White 64GB iPhone 5s
sparkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:03 AM   #12
PhoenixMac
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by batotman View Post
Fart. I almost grabbed one but figure it wouldn't work and grabbed a Speck Fitfolio instead. It's nice, but I just hate folio cases. Back to WM tomorrow. Thanks for the info. Waiting on my NGP to get here!
does the speck fit folio work with the ipad, some were saying it doesnt work with the 3rd gen, if thats the case Ill buy one to hold me over until my other cases come in.
__________________
"Good artists copy, Great artists steal"
-Steve Jobs
PhoenixMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:09 AM   #13
batotman
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixMac View Post
does the speck fit folio work with the ipad, some were saying it doesnt work with the 3rd gen, if thats the case Ill buy one to hold me over until my other cases come in.
It does fit.
batotman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:38 AM   #14
SYale
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkomatic View Post
I've been using a leather smart cover with the iPad 2 and now my new one with no issues at all. I'm constantly folding it in half and rolling it to prop it up on a desk too.
Thanks! I've been thinking with my white iPad, a navy blue smart cover would look so well...anyone know anywhere where you can get these for less than 69 a pop...
SYale is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:47 AM   #15
eawmp1
macrumors 601
 
eawmp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: FL
OP, I have the exact combo you are getting. Got the Incipio back 15 minutes ago and it is on the back of my new iPad now. Fits great and box says fits both the newiPad and the 2.
eawmp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:05 PM   #16
Nopunk
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboo View Post
I tried two different incipio feather cases for iPad 2; they both fit, albeit a little tight with the camera hole off by about 2-3 mm on the back. Also, I am noticing a bulge across the middle of the back, I am assuming this is from a tight fit. Are you seeing that as well OP?
+1 on that from me. My frost one clips in but does not sit flush to back and bulges out. It also cracked and broke in 3 to 4 places after 6 months on my iPad 2, but that is another matter.
Nopunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:12 PM   #17
rgr555
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
post pics
rgr555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:44 PM   #18
PhoenixMac
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by clumsythief83 View Post
What is this smart feather that everyone is talking about? Saw few pics, but is it only the back case or does it include the smart cover? If yes, is it removable?
Only back case and it is removable to use without smart cover or with smart cover
__________________
"Good artists copy, Great artists steal"
-Steve Jobs
PhoenixMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:45 PM   #19
PhoenixMac
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboo View Post
I tried two different incipio feather cases for iPad 2; they both fit, albeit a little tight with the camera hole off by about 2-3 mm on the back. Also, I am noticing a bulge across the middle of the back, I am assuming this is from a tight fit. Are you seeing that as well OP?
No bulge for me
__________________
"Good artists copy, Great artists steal"
-Steve Jobs
PhoenixMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:47 PM   #20
PhoenixMac
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
post pics
Here are pics of the camera being off center, and how it looks around the speaker grill and bottom.

This is the new iPad with iPad 2 smart feather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332009952.742632.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	330534   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332009971.281037.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	330535  
__________________
"Good artists copy, Great artists steal"
-Steve Jobs
PhoenixMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:55 PM   #21
rwings01
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Pictures of the Belkin Snapshield Secure (2nd gen)/black leather smart cover. Love the combo, keeps it on the slim side. New iPad (3rd gen shown in the pics).




Uploaded with ImageShack.us



Uploaded with ImageShack.us



Uploaded with ImageShack.us



Uploaded with ImageShack.us



Uploaded with ImageShack.us



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by rwings01; Mar 31, 2012 at 10:54 AM.
rwings01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 02:02 PM   #22
jpiszcz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixMac View Post
Here are pics of the camera being off center, and how it looks around the speaker grill and bottom.

This is the new iPad with iPad 2 smart feather.
The new smart feather fits the new iPad perfectly, photo not clear, but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smart_feather.PNG
Views:	179
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	330539  
jpiszcz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 02:05 PM   #23
bperrella
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwings01 View Post
Pictures of the Belkin snapshield/black leather smart cover. Love the combo, keeps it on the slim side.


Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Is this on a 2nd or 3rd gen iPad? If it is a second gen, does anyone know if the snap shield from Berlin will fit the new iPad?
__________________
2011 MacBook Air 13 inch, 4gb 128
16gb WiFi + VZW new iPad, 16gb Verizon iPhone4s
2gb 3rd Gen Shuffle, 30gb iPod Video
bperrella is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 02:11 PM   #24
Thomasss95
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Is the Smart Feather the best option for back protection with the Smartcover?
Are there any other cases like this?
Thomasss95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 02:16 PM   #25
rwings01
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bperrella View Post
Is this on a 2nd or 3rd gen iPad? If it is a second gen, does anyone know if the snap shield from Berlin will fit the new iPad?
The belkin is for the Ipad 2, but fits perfectly on my new iPad (3rd gen) shown in the pics. 3rg gen iPad shown in the pictures.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasss95 View Post
Is the Smart Feather the best option for back protection with the Smartcover?
Are there any other cases like this?
Both are good, but I prefer the Belkin as it protects the top/bottom of the iPad (3rd gen) a little more imo. Either would be fine.

Last edited by rwings01; Mar 17, 2012 at 02:43 PM.
rwings01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: Does this Incipio Smart Feather in green match the green smart cover? MusicEnthusiast iPad Accessories 1 Feb 6, 2013 05:12 PM
iPad: Caudabe shell vs Incipio smart feather solaris7 iPad Accessories 3 Nov 23, 2012 03:26 AM
Incipio Smart Feather or Incase Magsnap? snarestud940 iPad Accessories 1 Sep 3, 2012 04:50 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC