Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ValentinoV

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
I just bought a dock, and was wondering if there was a better alternative to the ipad cable. I looked at ilounge but found they said that it is hard for most cables especially thin ones to carry the necessary 2.1 amps to charge the ipad at a consistent rate. I know the new ipad takes much longer to charge, so I was hoping if anyone knew any sites for a better longer cable that doesn't charge it slower than the stock cable.

Thank you all in advance!

gquiring

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
SC
I use 6' foot cables on my iPad 2 and had no issues charging. I got mine on eBay.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I thought I would go the 'long cable' route with my iPad 2 and went as far as paying Apple for their long 6' cable. What a waste of money. It was nothing more than the standard charging cable with a thick extension with their proprietary connector. So I just spent less than $10 on some really good extension cords and put them where I can charge my iPad. I did buy an extra charging cable for travel so I have three now (including the expensive 6'). One in my travel bag, one at my desk and one by my bed. The cheap extension cords work just fine.

Don't waste your money.

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
Extension cord between the plug and the wall?

I thought I would go the 'long cable' route with my iPad 2 and went as far as paying Apple for their long 6' cable. What a waste of money. It was nothing more than the standard charging cable with a thick extension with their proprietary connector. So I just spent less than $10 on some really good extension cords and put them where I can charge my iPad. I did buy an extra charging cable for travel so I have three now (including the expensive 6'). One in my travel bag, one at my desk and one by my bed. The cheap extension cords work just fine.

Don't waste your money.

Geniuses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.