Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:35 AM   #1
eyespii
macrumors 6502

YouTube videos are too zoomed in

Just picked up my first apple tv and first thing I did was load up my YouTube subscriptions. Most of the videos however are a bit too "zoomed in" where all 4 edges of the clip are cut off. Reminds me of some "overscan" settings when I hook my Mac up to my 1080p tv. Any idea how I can fix this?
eyespii is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:02 AM   #2
adam2000
macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9B176)

May be the screen size settings aren't adjusted to the right setting if you are using an HDMI port you never used before. It needs to be on either 16 x 9 or what some tvs call it screen fit or just scan which is the right setting for hd content. Most tvs offer independent picture settings for each input so don't assume everything is adjusted the right way if you did it for other inputs. I don't see any other reason other than some YouTube settings on YouTube (web) I don't know about.
adam2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:55 PM   #3
prograham
macrumors member

Thumbs down booooooo

Ugh, so sad to see you post this because it has been the bane of my youtube watching with my ATV2, and I was REALLY hoping they had built in some screen control into the ATV3. I like to watch video game replays on youtube and have just had to deal with the clock being cut off along with lots of other information at the edges of the screen.

For me, I have tried everything I can think of to try and remedy this and nothing works. Shoot I would have even settled for a marginally zoomed OUT view with a thick black border on all sides but I couldn't find a way to get that either.

Personally, I have a Panasonic 46" plasma which I believe has it's edges of the actual screen covered by the plastic frame. So I think the ATV2 is displaying a complete picture but it's physically being covered up by the way my tv is constructed.

So lame ATV3 doesn't have some sort of video output control so users can acclimate to any tv.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:03 AM   #4
eyespii
macrumors 6502

Hey, so I managed to fix this problem by turning my TVs "screen fit "option on. I'm not sure what kind of TV you have but I have a Samsung LCD and the TV itself has a different picture size options. Try playing around with that and you might be able to fix your issues too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prograham View Post
Ugh, so sad to see you post this because it has been the bane of my youtube watching with my ATV2, and I was REALLY hoping they had built in some screen control into the ATV3. I like to watch video game replays on youtube and have just had to deal with the clock being cut off along with lots of other information at the edges of the screen.

For me, I have tried everything I can think of to try and remedy this and nothing works. Shoot I would have even settled for a marginally zoomed OUT view with a thick black border on all sides but I couldn't find a way to get that either.

Personally, I have a Panasonic 46" plasma which I believe has it's edges of the actual screen covered by the plastic frame. So I think the ATV2 is displaying a complete picture but it's physically being covered up by the way my tv is constructed.

So lame ATV3 doesn't have some sort of video output control so users can acclimate to any tv.
eyespii is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:59 AM   #5
prograham
macrumors member

Yeah for whatever reason none of the options on my TV fix it. Thanks for the suggestion though. Glad it's working for you
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:17 PM   #6
nrweber
macrumors newbie

I found a solution for my TV.

On the apple tv in the video and audio settings, I changed the HDMI output to RGB High instead of auto.
nrweber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:10 PM   #7
here2rock
macrumors regular

It is really sad that Apple can not implement simple screen controls. WD live is so much better in that respect. Hopefully they can patch it up in an update.
here2rock is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater