Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Well my New iPad has a reddish pink tinge at the left top of the screen and a bluish cooler bottom half. And it looks horrible in mail or Kindle. So its going back. Pretty disappointing. I'm an Apple fan but I have a cheap HTC tablet and the colour on that is perfect. We see this every launch. Warm/cold I can take. Multi coloured is not an option.

Last edited:

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
Wow, mine is just pink/purple compared to my 2. I don't like it as much. I wish it was more yellow or orange.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Picked up another one at my local Currys and it's better. Went for a 64GB 4G instead of the 32GB 4G I'd preordered as well. The preorder one will go back to Apple with its rainbow screen. The new one was build week 7 and the other one week 8 so not sure if it's a curing thing or not. But the week 7 one is definitely better. Still a bit reddish at the top but much more even.

russell2

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2011
Yes I much prefer bluish whites on my iPad2 this pink is fugly and it doesn't look that pink at a straight angle but the second it's titled it's pink it's bugging the hell out of me. One of the selling points to me was the better contrast Tim promised what 30% or something?

How do I know what week mine is?

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
Mine has a very subtle pink tint as well!
I decided to go to one of the Apple stores to compare mine with the display models.
To my surprise, I found some very disgusting RED screens, others were comparable to mine, and there were also other screens that had a blue cast to them.
When I came back home, I compared it with my MacBook Pro 13" 2010, which is the best display I have ever owned. So my iPad looks like a smaller copy of the Mac's display in terms of the tint and color gamut, which is great.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Mine is pink in some areas and grreenish cyan in others. (the cyan areas may in fact be neutral, but they look cyan compared to the pink areas.)

What's more annoying than the color(s) is that they seem to shift as I tilt or rotate the screen. The screen also goes darker at much lower angles than the iPad 2 did.

It's as if I'm looking at the screen through polarized sunglasses, which is ironic because I just bought new sunglasses and specified they not be polarized because it makes my iPhone screen look so wacky.

I hesitate to return for fear of a worse issue in the replacement.

r-sparks

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2006
England
Mine's got a subtle pink tint

Well my New iPad has a reddish pink tinge at the left top of the screen and a bluish cooler bottom half. And it looks horrible in mail or Kindle. So its going back. Pretty disappointing. I'm an Apple fan but I have a cheap HTC tablet and the colour on that is perfect. We see this every launch. Warm/cold I can take. Multi coloured is not an option.

32GB iPad 3 here, wifi, black. Any white areas of the screen get a uniform subtle pink tint if using the iPad in sunlight, regardless of the brightness level. Indoors away from windows it appears to be pure white.

What's the protocol here? Wait for it to bed down and see if it improves? How long will that take?

Demanding a replacement straight away is tricky -- here in the UK the 32GB wifi model is out of stock at the moment, and I got mine from John Lewis, which is now out of stock of nearly all models.

(FWIW when I unboxed mine there was small bits of glue near the bottom that I had to remove by wiping. I've no idea if this was from the plastic wrapping, or just a messy job gluing the screen. Otherwise it's cosmetically perfect.)

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
::sigh:: Well it must be a curing thing. The pink is totally gone, now there's a decidedly green tint to the whole screen.

I compared it to my iPad 2 and it's just horrible. The iPad two colors are pretty accurate, this is just darker and greener.

It's like the difference between a monitor with a regular backlight or one with an LED backlight, those are always more blue/green.

I'm going to bring mine to the store and compare it to other new iPads.

Aside from the horrible color shift... I love this thing! The retina clarity is just great.

Last edited:

r-sparks

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2006
England
32GB iPad 3 here, wifi, black. Any white areas of the screen get a uniform subtle pink tint if using the iPad in sunlight, regardless of the brightness level. Indoors away from windows it appears to be pure white.

What's the protocol here? Wait for it to bed down and see if it improves? How long will that take?

Demanding a replacement straight away is tricky -- here in the UK the 32GB wifi model is out of stock at the moment, and I got mine from John Lewis, which is now out of stock of nearly all models.

(FWIW when I unboxed mine there was small bits of glue near the bottom that I had to remove by wiping. I've no idea if this was from the plastic wrapping, or just a messy job gluing the screen. Otherwise it's cosmetically perfect.)

I took mine back and bought a different one from the nearby Apple store. This has the same slight pink tint, although maybe slightly less. I had a look at the demo models in store and one had the pink tint, while one didn't appear to do so (the best way to discover is to open a Safari tab, then hit the lower right button to drop the keyboard out of the way so you get a blank white screen).

I couldn't really look at any other models because salespeople kept swooping on me asking if I needed help. I did try an iPad 2 that seemed to have the same slight pink tint though.

I could keep asking for a replacement but it's time consuming. All I really wanted to do was make sure mine wasn't a dud. And it appears it isn't.

Thing is, it now feels that my Macbook Pro has a very slight yellow-ish tint! My vision has been broken! The best of all seems to be my iPhone, which looks white. But I think the moral of the story is that pure white on an LED-lit LCD screen is difficult.

russell2

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2011
I took mine back and bought a different one from the nearby Apple store. This has the same slight pink tint, although maybe slightly less. I had a look at the demo models in store and one had the pink tint, while one didn't appear to do so (the best way to discover is to open a Safari tab, then hit the lower right button to drop the keyboard out of the way so you get a blank white screen).

I couldn't really look at any other models because salespeople kept swooping on me asking if I needed help. I did try an iPad 2 that seemed to have the same slight pink tint though.

I could keep asking for a replacement but it's time consuming. All I really wanted to do was make sure mine wasn't a dud. And it appears it isn't.

Thing is, it now feels that my Macbook Pro has a very slight yellow-ish tint! My vision has been broken! The best of all seems to be my iPhone, which looks white. But I think the moral of the story is that pure white on an LED-lit LCD screen is difficult.

If we could just calibrate our color as none of the TVs in my house have red or yellow whites

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
Has anyone else's pink tint gone away after some time? I'm thinking about exchanging mine (again) but don't want to end up with something worse.

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
I swear, I have waited 2 1/2 weeks dor my iPad to arrive, if it's got anything like this I won't be a happy camper.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Yep, have the same issue. Pink emanating from the upper left. It's not noticeable unless I'm viewing something with a white background. Like a webpage ... or an ebook ... which is pretty much 75%+ of my usage time on the iPad.

I've been leaving the screen on 100% brightness and cycling through a photo slideshow and movies to see if this will have any effect. Not sure that it will.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I think that the colors are from the backlight LEDs not all being the color temp. This could not be corrected with any color correction software as there is not way you could just correct for a few miss colored LEDs.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Mine is pink in some areas and grreenish cyan in others. (the cyan areas may in fact be neutral, but they look cyan compared to the pink areas.)

What's more annoying than the color(s) is that they seem to shift as I tilt or rotate the screen. The screen also goes darker at much lower angles than the iPad 2 did.

It's as if I'm looking at the screen through polarized sunglasses, which is ironic because I just bought new sunglasses and specified they not be polarized because it makes my iPhone screen look so wacky.

I hesitate to return for fear of a worse issue in the replacement.

I've noticed that the new iPad tends to have a worse color shift than the iPad 2 when tilting it. Not sure if it's just the new screen tech or not.

-Kevin

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I've noticed that the new iPad tends to have a worse color shift than the iPad 2 when tilting it. Not sure if it's just the new screen tech or not.

-Kevin

I can tilt mine is all 4 directions and the most I see is a slight darkening but no color shift.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I can tilt mine is all 4 directions and the most I see is a slight darkening but no color shift.

Not sure if mine is as much of a true color shift as much as when it darkens, you can perceive that the color changes slightly.

Don't know how much I'm OCD after reading these forums :p

My screen seems fine to me....the biggest issue tends to be that the screen does get darker quicker as you tilt it....compared to the iPad 2 that is.

-Kevin

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
On mine in portrait: tilted down = green; tilted up = pink.

Straight on: yellow / pink on bottom 1/4 of screen.

It is hard to believe that two screens that are made exactly the same could exhibit different characteristics when tilted. It make me wonder if all screens are built the same as mine, at best, only dims.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
It is hard to believe that two screens that are made exactly the same could exhibit different characteristics when tilted. It make me wonder if all screens are built the same as mine, at best, only dims.

I wonder how much it's peoples eyes as well. I tend to see a slight color shift more than my wife does.

I'm also wondering how much of this yellow tint issue people are having can be solved by software.

-Kevin

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
It's either I'm lucky or I'm not OCD. But, I've two of the new iPads and both were "perfect." I had to exchange an AT&T version for a Verizon version, not for any defects at all. Both versions had nothing wrong with it, even that light thing you guys talk about. So, yeah, maybe I'm just not OCD.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
Here's mine. The backlight is a bit worse than it looks in photos and, as you can see, I have a bit of a pink issue when tilted. Has it been determined whether that's normal?

My room was as dark as possible during the day (blinds closed) and the photos are unedited from my iPhone 4S.

EDIT: Exchanged it for another one and it has the same pink tint, as well as a battery charging issue and sever light bleed through a pin hole at the top of the screen. The new one is a WEEK 2.

Attachments

• IMG_1816.JPG
    IMG_1816.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1812.JPG
    IMG_1812.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1810.JPG
    IMG_1810.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1809.JPG
    IMG_1809.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1808.JPG
    IMG_1808.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.