Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
I received my iPad earlier today. The crispness of the retina display is incredible, it really makes a huge difference while browsing in portrait mode. I was setting up my old iPad 2 for a family member and kept thinking how fuzzy it seemed after using my new iPad.

Unfortunately, I quickly noticed that the top left of the screen seemed a slightly different color shade. It was most apparent on white and grey backgrounds, such as the macrumor forum. I'm curious if I just received a dud, or if other people are experiencing similar issues. I've attached a couple photos to illustrate the problem.

The photos were taken while in landscape mode, so it's the bottom left corner that's the issue.

Attachments

• 63955169.jpg
    63955169.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 1,457
  • 693a2dd3.jpg
    693a2dd3.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 858
  • 7198b10b.jpg
    7198b10b.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 2,327

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
Same here.

I'm debating whether or not it's enough to return it. It's not THAT big a deal, but with $700 you expect a little more =P

My ipad 2 had a dimmed edge on the long side too. Never ended up bothering me.

magnusforza

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
I'm glad I found this post. I have the same exact problem. When holding the iPad in portrait mode, with the home button at the bottom, there is a blueish or dark tint on the top left corner of the screen and it's visible on white backgrounds.

It is extremely annoying. I paid a lot of money for it and expect it to be flawless with respect to the screen. I'll definitely be returning it.

Identity Fraud

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
Tagging thread to see if more people report this. I've noticed this too, reading web sites the middle seems brighter and as I scroll the content to the top its not as bright. It may just be the viewing angle.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I preordered a week 8 Black 32GB 4G and it has a reddish tint in the top left and a more blue tint towards the bottom. Very noticeable in Kindle. I decided to return it to Apple and went out and bought a week 7 64GB Black 4G today locally and it's quite a bit better. Still has some slight variations but is generally more even across the whole screen.

Not sure if the fact that it's a week older means anything but this one is a keeper. Both have been free of other defects apart from some rough edges on the casing at the ariel area on the first one. Both from the same factory in China.

Last edited:

johndoe588

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2007
Upstate New York
Hey OP, here's another data point. Mine is like that, too. In landscape, home button to the right, the lower left corner is a darker shade. Or maybe warmer? It's certainly not even across the screen. Not TOO bad, maybe I won't even notice it in a few days.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Well, I guess i dreamt up mine. My screen is perfect. No tint, no bleeding, no dead pixels.

Zzzzzz..... :rolleyes:

So if you don't notice something, your logical conclusion is that it doesn't exist. A killer logic, congratulations. :rolleyes:

puncho

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
Same problem here. In portait, the right hand side of the screen seems a little red, especially on white or grey pages. Also on the lower left and I have a dead pixel in that area

ArztMac

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Same here.

The left side of the screen is noticably warmer than the right side when held in portrait mode. I don't really care all that much, but when you are reading an Instapaper text or you read an iBooks file, it's really noticably. The color saturation of letters on the left side look different than on the right side. It's actually a gradient there.

I don't care about how warm or how cold (hopefully not too cold) the screen looks like, it should at least be uniform throughtout...

Just give it 2-4 weeks, then you can always go in for a swap if it still bothers you.

ArztMac

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
I'm gonna try to exchange it today before my 14 days is up :eek:

Dude, don't worry about it. Your guarantee is 1 full year. So you can exchange it anytime in the next 12 months, regardless of how often you use it.

Just wait it out for a few weeks and see if it still bothers you. Changes are that you might even receive an even worse iPad...

dsc888

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Boston, MA USA
I have the exact same problem. I just went and exchanged for new one. Now mine is perfect. It was as though the page had a warmer border on the left when held in portrait mode. It drove me nuts on white backgrounds like this forum.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Mine's the same, in exactly the same place. I'm giving it a couple of weeks. It really is noticable. I don't want to exchange because I just put a screen protector on and otherwise its perfect but if it doesn't clear up then I'll have to try.

gusnyc

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
New York City
Same here

I got two iPads, one AT&T and another Verizon. Both have a darker/yellowish area on the top left when is held in portrait mode. It is very noticeable, even though the Verizon model is a little better.

I read about the "glue" still drying, but I am not sure this is the case. I wonder if there are perfect screens out there.

I wonder what should I do.

Gus

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
If it's spotty like that I'd assume it's the Sylan still drying.

I'm a chemical technician, I work with Sylan on an almost daily basis. It takes a while to cure.

If the whole screen is yellow, then you have a problem. If it's blotchy give it a week or so.

puncho

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
Dude, don't worry about it. Your guarantee is 1 full year. So you can exchange it anytime in the next 12 months, regardless of how often you use it.

Just wait it out for a few weeks and see if it still bothers you. Changes are that you might even receive an even worse iPad...

Yeah, like the person above me, it just really bugs me. I'm sure for 90% of people it doesn't but I'm reading along and all of a sudden I notice a difference. If I hold it at an angle it's fine, but straight on there's a reddish hue. Rather change it until I get a good one then I can put all my protectors on :p

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
I received my iPad earlier today. The crispness of the retina display is incredible, it really makes a huge difference while browsing in portrait mode. I was setting up my old iPad 2 for a family member and kept thinking how fuzzy it seemed after using my new iPad.

Unfortunately, I quickly noticed that the top left of the screen seemed a slightly different color shade. It was most apparent on white and grey backgrounds, such as the macrumor forum. I'm curious if I just received a dud, or if other people are experiencing similar issues. I've attached a couple photos to illustrate the problem.

The photos were taken while in landscape mode, so it's the bottom left corner that's the issue.

What you see is a variation of clouding issue that is always talked about in large LED TVs with side-lit LED. I see it as a limitation of the technology where some are better than others, but you won't see perfect, especially on the white screen like your pictures. Luckily, the screen is mostly filled with colors other than pitch black or white unless you have a hobby of watching movie credits screens.

jrnewhouse

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2007

I got a 64GB wi-fi model, and mine has the exact same problem. And, like many here, it was really noticeable with the color scheme on this Web site and any light background. It's a deal breaker for me...you would think in this day and age, somebody could make at least a small screen with even lighting...especially at these prices. Needless to say, I'm going to return it.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
I got a 64GB wi-fi model, and mine has the exact same problem. And, like many here, it was really noticeable with the color scheme on this Web site and any light background. It's a deal breaker for me...you would think in this day and age, somebody could make at least a small screen with even lighting...especially at these prices. Needless to say, I'm going to return it.

Read my post. Give it a week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.