Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I just got my new iPad yesterday. While I didn't get it expecting it to be able to play the MKV files I have without conversion, I got pleasantly surprised when I tried some for fun today in AVPlayerHD!

I've always had to rely on Air Video and Handbreak in converting the my MKV files to playback on my iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. It was so tiresome I just got a Galaxy S2. You may remember me posting a thread about it before, complaining about the iPhone 4's inability to decode this format. I think that thread got me at least 100 downvotes...

So I made this thread to tell fellow anime fans still on the fence about the new iPad - it will play all your 720p anime you get in MKV, 8-bit and even 10-bit, with ASS subs without a problem! Here is a video of myself demoing it below!

There goes my final reason of keeping my Android devices. They're going to TradeMe and luckily before the Galaxy S3 gets announced next month!

Rogue.

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Telford. UK.
AVPlayerHD is the reason why, iPad will not natively play it.

But, yes, very cool. I purchased AVPlayerHD yesterday as well to save having to convert media via Air Video etc :D

The only slight annoyance is having to load the media onto the iPad first.

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
But, yes, very cool. I purchased AVPlayerHD yesterday as well to save having to convert media via Air Video etc :D

Yes, I know. AVPlayerHD wasn't able to handle some 10-bit/720p files properly with my iPad 2, so I wasn't holding my breath. But the new iPad just handled everything like butter. :)

IvanX

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
What about non-cartoon MKVs? For example, a "scene" release of a recent US TV show? We're talking about 2-3 Mbit h264 video with 6-channel ac3 audio.

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
What about non-cartoon MKVs? For example, a "scene" release of a recent US TV show? We're talking about 2-3 Mbit h264 video with 6-channel ac3 audio.

If you're willing to PM me something you want me to test, then feel free to. However, I can confirm that as long as it's h.264 I haven't seen something that failed to work yet.

And to be blunt, the TV show and movie "scene" is quite a lot behind when compared to the anime scene. Most of them are still on their XviDs and I haven't seen a single group release anything in hi10p, and those files are more likely to cause problems than say, a 2-3 mbit h.264 file.

wallstreetcrash

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2008
New York

My iPad 2 runs them fine with AVPlayerHD.

What you guys really want is GPU decoding of these files, as it uses much less battery. AVPlayerHD is using CPU decoding which is battery intensive. You can get by that via Jailbreaking, e.g. XBMC does GPU dec.

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
What you guys really want is GPU decoding of these files, as it uses much less battery. AVPlayerHD is using CPU decoding which is battery intensive. You can get by that via Jailbreaking, e.g. XBMC does GPU dec.

This is true, but I can also say the new iPad is doing pretty well with AVPlayerHD. The battery seems to be holding up very well, only dropping about 6% in 30 minutes of playback.

EarlZ

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
I've been watching Simpsons season 21 to 23 on a friend's Ipad2 its in 720p and MKV format under AVplayerHD as well and it always stutters a few seconds in the intro where the scene kinda zooms in, maybe if you have time to grab 1 episode from season 21 and test it out ?

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I've been watching Simpsons season 21 to 23 on a friend's Ipad2 its in 720p and MKV format under AVplayerHD as well and it always stutters a few seconds in the intro where the scene kinda zooms in, maybe if you have time to grab 1 episode from season 21 and test it out ?

As I said, I owned an iPad 2 and I know it wasn't smooth. Even with the iPhone 4S, it wasn't smooth sometimes. That's why I had to convert them with Air Video or Handbreak. The new iPad hasn't had any problems with any 720p MKVs I threw at it yet so I'm pretty sure it will work.

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
I've been recommending this Mac apps to everyone I can I'm starting to look as an spammer lol.

With these apps you can demux and remux the video from h264 mkv to h264 mp4 in seconds, without loosing any bit of video quality:

http://itunes.com/mac/iflicks
http://itunes.apple.com/app/roadmovie/id408218908?mt=12

They are 100% compatible with the iPad or apple tv, no jailbreak or extra apps needed, just works with the built in video player of every iOS device

silversun

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
I love anime :D.
How's the image quality, cause 720p is only about half of the Ipad 3's resolution
Have you tried playing 1080p on it yet, is it any different compared to 720p (maybe silly but the screen is small after all:D)

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I love anime :D.
How's the image quality, cause 720p is only about half of the Ipad 3's resolution
Have you tried playing 1080p on it yet, is it any different compared to 720p (maybe silly but the screen is small after all:D)

There is a difference, but both are upscaled anyway so they don't look as good as crisp as say, text on the retina display.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

djrod said:
I've been recommending this Mac apps to everyone I can I'm starting to look as an spammer lol.

With these apps you can demux and remux the video from h264 mkv to h264 mp4 in seconds, without loosing any bit of video quality:

They are 100% compatible with the iPad or apple tv, no jailbreak or extra apps needed, just works with the built in video player of every iOS device

I looked into these tools and IMHO it's the way to go over MKV on the mobile devices. The iPhone 4S and the new iPad have no problem with 1080p m4v files. Even massive conversions like Avatar at 1080p weighing in at 12GB are butter smooth on the new iPad.

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
I use GPlayer got it for free a while back. Awesome app. I like it better than AVPlayer and it's universal.

drb1992

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2011

Thanks, I'll definitely try those out.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
What's the best ripper for (gasp) Windows 7? I love Apple and all, but my Lenovo W520 with it's FHD screen owns.

Don't troll. I know some of you secretly use Windows...

drb1992

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I looked into these tools and IMHO it's the way to go over MKV on the mobile devices. The iPhone 4S and the new iPad have no problem with 1080p m4v files. Even massive conversions like Avatar at 1080p weighing in at 12GB are butter smooth on the new iPad.
Did you use AVplayerHD to watch the 1080P videos?

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
What's the best ripper for (gasp) Windows 7? I love Apple and all, but my Lenovo W520 with it's FHD screen owns.

Don't troll. I know some of you secretly use Windows...

No shame here! I'm bi-platform!

I've used, for many years, the combination of ANYDVD HD and CLONEDVD (or CLONEDVD mobile), and have recently been trying out rippers for Blu-rays, but have not been happy with what I've found.

Definitely need ANYDVD HD, but I'd like a good recommendation for a blu-ray ripper.

----------

Also, I bought AVplayerHD today, and loaded up a couple of short 1080p, very high quality clips, and it's nothing short of spectacular!

I wish my AVplayerHD purchase would allow me to download the AVplayer version (iPhone/iPod) but alas, it'll cost me another 3 bucks to do so.

So far, I like it. :)

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
this is great news! I cant wait for friday :).

Oh an OP, i think KMB is cool, i really enjoy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.