Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
My wife and I share our iPad right now and, for the most part, don't need to each have our own iPad (ie, we can share pretty easily). However, it would be REALLY nice if we could each have separate logins to access our own email, messages, apps, home screen, settings, etc etc. Apple may not do this because they would want people who "share" iPads to each get their own. What do you think, would apple ever add this feature to iOS 6? Obviously, an iphone is much more personal so wouldn't really be needed to have multiple user logins.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
After all the work to merge the two versions of iOS, I don't know that they would split them again.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
After all the work to merge the two versions of iOS, I don't know that they would split them again.

How would that split them?

I actually think this is a great idea. I would not use it, but I can certainly see the advantage of it.

The only issue may be hard drive space, especially if you. Each have your own apps. And speaking of apps, they may need to be revamped to allow separate databases for multiple users. I am not a programmer or app developer, so I am not sure how this is currently implemented.

Other than that, I am pretty happy with iOS 5. I'm not really sure what else they could add that would wow me.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
He is not talking about splitting iOS up again (iOS for iPad and iOS for iPhone were unified with iOS 4.2).

By having user accounts on iPad, that would mean iOS would have to split ... that's a lot of under-the-hood code and I don't think it would just sit dormant on the iPhone.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
By having user accounts on iPad, that would mean iOS would have to split ... that's a lot of under-the-hood code and I don't think it would just sit dormant on the iPhone.

There is no need to split it up. There are already iPad specific features, just like there are iPhone specific features.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
My wife and I share our iPad right now and, for the most part, don't need to each have our own iPad (ie, we can share pretty easily). However, it would be REALLY nice if we could each have separate logins to access our own email, messages, apps, home screen, settings, etc etc. Apple may not do this because they would want people who "share" iPads to each get their own. What do you think, would apple ever add this feature to iOS 6? Obviously, an iphone is much more personal so wouldn't really be needed to have multiple user logins.
Yes, I would LOVE this. My wife and I manage our devices and Mac accounts completely differently already.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Yeah, but that wouldn't be a feature. It would change the entire OS on a system level.

Not on the system level, iOS already has the ability to support multiple users just as OS X does and they both share the same cores. iOS itself is using a few users to separate a few tools from the root account, you can look at the jailbreak community in how this works.

The only thing that has to be overhauled is the upper levels of iOS, which is already slightly different between each device.

However, I do agree, it's not likely going to happen. Apple wants people to buy more iPads, so why do this only to lose some sales?

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Yeah, but that wouldn't be a feature. It would change the entire OS on a system level.

BSD, so Darwin, is designed to allow different user accounts on the same machine, so I'd say that's not a problem. The core isn't missing, only the implementation is.

kurzz

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Yes! This is something I REALLY want! I hope they add multiple user logins to iOS6.

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
This would be a very useful feature but I think it will not be implemented for the simple reason (as Zcott said) ... they want you to have two iPads.

sal

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
I would like this. Not because I share my iPad but because on rare occasions a friend wants to use it, it would be nice to set up a guest account for them.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
I feel like this is an issue where apple could really show where it's card lie: with the consumer or the consumer's wallet. For my wife and I this would be a great benefit. We'll see what they choose to do. And I should say that I really don't think this a feature that Apple couldn't pull off if they wanted to.

Ryanjohnston

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
I'd be happy with password protected email. Sharing the rest of the device with family is fine with me. Children don't need access to my email.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
Multiple users would ideal, but I'd settle for a simple "guest" setting. Of course that wouldn't help your problem =P

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
This is actually a very good idea. That way, everyone's apps and data would pop up accordingly.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Business wise it makes no sense, because as you already said, Apple wants you to purchase multiple iPads. However I see why people would want it.

On a separate note, I'm all for separating the OS' again. iOSX for iPad all the way!!! iOS is too simplified for the iPad.

davenz

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2008
Designed as a personalized device, no like a computer. It will take up space and take away from the purpose intended.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.