Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrettJDeriso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Northern Virginia
Anyone else out there tried airplaying 1080p content to the ATV3 from a new iPad yet? I'm getting absolutely atrocious throughput and buffering lag.

Both my ATV3 and iPad are on the same 802.11n Airport Extreme LAN. I just recorded 40 seconds of video with the ipad and tried to play it back to the ATV wirelessly. It took over two minutes to buffer the 40-second clip.

Last night I pushed a 1080p24 movie to the ATV3 from my MacBook Pro and go the same thing -two minute wait before playback started (no hangups once it got running, but the lead time here is ridiculous).

The Airport Extreme is in the same room, no interference from other WAPs, reports clean 802.11n speeds to all connected clients.

By comparison, I regularly stream 1080p24 files to a Mac Mini via XBMC on the same Airport Extreme WAP with zero lag and no buffering. So I know it's not a network bandwidth issue.

chukronos

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
Colleyville, TX
I've seen a demonstration with the Raspberry pi. It didn't seem to have that much of a lag time. It must be something with the aTV software. I am sure it will be addressed soon. At least, I hope so. I am hoping that I will be picking one up this weekend.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
I have the same router as you and video is playing very good on my iPad to the new Apple TV. I just tested this by shooting a video that was slightly more than a minute long, and then streamed it directly to my Apple TV via AirPlay. The video started playing after approximately 20 seconds of buffering and then never buffered again after that. The video quality was actually very good too!

What are you getting when doing speed tests over Wi-Fi?

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
Gonna pick up a new router soon and I'm very interested in results people are getting here. Subscribed!

BrettJDeriso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Northern Virginia
What are you getting when doing speed tests over Wi-Fi?

To the WAN? 15Mbps. But with everything getting clean 802.11n connections, I should be getting 70-100Mbps (theoretical) on the LAN. A few simple timed file transfers confirm that.

I'm guessing it's strictly an ATV issue at this point. At least, I hope it is.

kmanmx

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
UK
I never figured out this issue. I tried streaming 720P video on my IP4S to my 2nd Gen Apple TV, and it was useless. It took an age to buffer, infact it was just as slow as buffering 720P from my crappy 2mbit internet connection (I live in a rural area).

I have an admittedly 3ish year old WiFi router. But I don't experience issues with any other devices.

Playing a game like Real Racing was also pretty poor, just laggy and pretty bad performance.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Streaming 720p from my iPad 2 or iP 4S to my AppleTV (2nd gen) - both over 802.11n 5GHz has been silky smooth. Using a latest-generation dual mode Airport Extreme.

Don't have an AppleTV 3 yet to try 1080p. But if you're having trouble with 720p, I'd expect 1080 to of course be much worse.

BrettJDeriso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Northern Virginia
Is your ATV wired? That could help reduce some stress on your router.

Yeah, I imagine it would -that's my next T-shooting step.

My point is, it shouldn't matter, since the Mac Mini is also wireless, and it doesn't show any latency at all pulling 1080 bid across my wireless LAN.

Is there a way to clock the bandwidth going into the ATV?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.