Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:55 AM   #1
Gary King
macrumors 6502

How to sort all mailboxes in Apple Mail?

By default, the mailboxes in Apple Mail are sorted by Date Received, Oldest first. I tried sorting a few of my folders to be 'Newest First' instead, but I would have to do it for all of my folders, and I have about 150 folders.

What is the fastest way to sort all my folders to the way I want it?
And for all new folders?

Thanks!
Gary King is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 09:54 PM   #2
Gary King
macrumors 6502

No one knows?
Old Jun 29, 2005, 06:05 AM   #3
Mitthrawnuruodo

Don't think there is a faster way...

Even if you mark several boxes/folders and choose "sort by", it still remembers the individual mailbox's settings...
Old Jun 29, 2005, 07:34 AM   #4
efoto
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to efoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitthrawnuruodo
Don't think there is a faster way...

Even if you mark several boxes/folders and choose "sort by", it still remembers the individual mailbox's settings...
Yeppers, you have to go through and open the folder, then sort it by what you want and then Mail should remember those settings, but to my recollections there is no mass-edit method to sorting all your folders in a manner like that. I had to do it to around 20 folders....sounds like you are in more of a pickle than I, best of luck and do it starting with a lot of patience because it won't exactly go fast
Old Aug 25, 2008, 12:42 PM   #5
muszicman
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to muszicman
I have sent in several requests to Apple regarding the lack of this feature. I have 215 folders for work that I have had to individually touch and click the "Date" column to switch the sort order. I am VERY disappointed that they have not made any attempts to make this process less painful.
muszicman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:44 PM   #6
Gary King
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by muszicman View Post
I have sent in several requests to Apple regarding the lack of this feature. I have 215 folders for work that I have had to individually touch and click the "Date" column to switch the sort order. I am VERY disappointed that they have not made any attempts to make this process less painful.
Three years later and still the same eh? I've been using Gmail since I posted this.
Old May 20, 2010, 03:08 AM   #7
Bricallassist
macrumors newbie

My biggest gripe is the general sorting. I have just moved my email hosting over to gmail, in my inbox on Apple Mail, I click the sort by date so the newest is first (I don't know anyone who works back to front), this is fine for as long as Apple Mail is open, however, when I close it and reopen, its reverted to the back to front sorting...most annoying.

I think gmail may have a good product, but they don't seem to be interested too much on fixing the issues that customers raise.

I am contemplating moving my email hosting again to one that does what I want, oh and doesn't have an All Mail folder - but thats a different thread
Bricallassist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:27 PM   #8
jfmercer
macrumors newbie

Solution Found

I found a solution to this problem on the Apple Support Website.

Quit out of Mail. Then go to ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.plist. Under "InboxViewerAttributes," change the key "SortedDescending" to "Yes," and save changes.

--jm
jfmercer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 01:34 PM   #9
brizone
macrumors newbie

Use Property List Editor in the Apple Xcode tools to edit ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist as described above.
brizone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:25 PM   #10
killertofu808
macrumors newbie

Tried But To No Avail...

AS a 2013 update to those looking through this thread...

The file com.apple.mail.plist already has its "SortedDescending" value set to "Yes" in Mail 6.3.

No other solution found yet.
killertofu808 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store