Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
By default, the mailboxes in Apple Mail are sorted by Date Received, Oldest first. I tried sorting a few of my folders to be 'Newest First' instead, but I would have to do it for all of my folders, and I have about 150 folders.

What is the fastest way to sort all my folders to the way I want it?
And for all new folders?

Thanks!

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Don't think there is a faster way...

Even if you mark several boxes/folders and choose "sort by", it still remembers the individual mailbox's settings...

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Don't think there is a faster way...

Even if you mark several boxes/folders and choose "sort by", it still remembers the individual mailbox's settings...

Yeppers, you have to go through and open the folder, then sort it by what you want and then Mail should remember those settings, but to my recollections there is no mass-edit method to sorting all your folders in a manner like that. I had to do it to around 20 folders....sounds like you are in more of a pickle than I, best of luck and do it starting with a lot of patience because it won't exactly go fast :(

muszicman

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2008
Great Falls, MT
I have sent in several requests to Apple regarding the lack of this feature. I have 215 folders for work that I have had to individually touch and click the "Date" column to switch the sort order. I am VERY disappointed that they have not made any attempts to make this process less painful.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
I have sent in several requests to Apple regarding the lack of this feature. I have 215 folders for work that I have had to individually touch and click the "Date" column to switch the sort order. I am VERY disappointed that they have not made any attempts to make this process less painful.

Three years later and still the same eh? I've been using Gmail since I posted this.

Bricallassist

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010
My biggest gripe is the general sorting. I have just moved my email hosting over to gmail, in my inbox on Apple Mail, I click the sort by date so the newest is first (I don't know anyone who works back to front), this is fine for as long as Apple Mail is open, however, when I close it and reopen, its reverted to the back to front sorting...most annoying.

I think gmail may have a good product, but they don't seem to be interested too much on fixing the issues that customers raise.

I am contemplating moving my email hosting again to one that does what I want, oh and doesn't have an All Mail folder - but thats a different thread

jfmercer

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
Solution Found

I found a solution to this problem on the Apple Support Website.

Quit out of Mail. Then go to ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.plist. Under "InboxViewerAttributes," change the key "SortedDescending" to "Yes," and save changes.

--jm

brizone

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2011
Use Property List Editor in the Apple Xcode tools to edit ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist as described above.

killertofu808

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2008
Tried But To No Avail...

AS a 2013 update to those looking through this thread...

The file com.apple.mail.plist already has its "SortedDescending" value set to "Yes" in Mail 6.3.

No other solution found yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.