Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Ok, here's the story.
My dad told his friend that I do video editing, and he's a private investigator. He wants me to take about an hour's worth of footage that he took from a bunch of tapes that he'll give to me. He wants the sound removed (that's really easy) and a time stamp added with the date and time of the video shot. Then I burn it to a DVD. I can do this, but I need to come up with an hourly rate and how long it'll take me to do all of this.

Any suggestions on what I should charge?

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
you're in NY, in Long Island right? and you're 16...you figure it'll take you about what, 10 hours to edit everything down? charge $25-30 per hour. i'd say that's a fair price for you both. if you were older, i would have suggested double that, but for being so young (i know you're probably more than capable, but most don't see a 16yo as a video editor etc). what software are you going to use? can you do this in iMovie? or would you want to use Final Cut? if it's the latter, you can charge more...also you can factor in the cost of the DVD burn, and the equipment needed etc...just make it sound technical, he doesn't have to know how easy it is on a Mac ;)

hope that helps, and don't forget, that's just my advice, i worked freelance in Manhattan doing Mac support, at video production places etc, they pay big big bucks. (i charged them $60/hr and that was their suggestion too)

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Thanks for the input. I actually am about an hour north of the city, not in Long Island, and he told me not not to edit it down because of reasons he had.
Ironically, I'm going to use this money towards an external hard drive for my video stuff. I already have FCP because of a friend of mine (and his initials aren't B.T. ;) ). I guess I'm going to go with $25/hour, and figure i'll make about $100 or $125. I already have a DVD burner, but I will make it seem more complicated when I talk to him, maybe get a little more. Haha.
You've been great. Thanks again! :)

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
bennetsaysargh said:
I already have FCP because of a friend of mine (and his initials aren't B.T. ;) ).

Uh-oh. If you're going to be doing more editing for profit it sounds like you'd better visit an Apple store soon...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.