Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:22 PM   #1
purpleparrotuk
macrumors member

Mkv to iTunes in minutes?

Hello. I have been reading about a lot of mac software that can remux mkv into iTunes format for the iPad. But does anyone know what windows software can be used that only takes minutes? Handbrake takes ages.

Thanks.

Last edited by purpleparrotuk; Mar 17, 2012 at 05:35 PM.
purpleparrotuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:28 PM   #2
drb1992
macrumors 6502

I don't know much about this topic, but I doubt you can convert a mkv to an mp4/mpv in minutes. You also have to remember that converting movies/shows highly depends on your computers hardware. Luckily, I have a 2011 MBP, so converting 720P videos doesn't take too long, in my opinion.
drb1992 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:32 PM   #3
purpleparrotuk
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1992 View Post
I don't know much about this topic, but I doubt you can convert a mkv to an mp4/mpv in minutes. You also have to remember that converting movies/shows highly depends on your computers hardware. Luckily, I have a 2011 MBP, so converting 720P videos doesn't take too long, in my opinion.
It doesn't need to convert. Mkv is a container. It just needs to do something with the audio. So remux only.
purpleparrotuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:59 PM   #4
BrettJDeriso
macrumors member

I'm guessing most of the OP's MKV files contain only AC3 or DTS audio. In that case, yes, you will need to transcode at least 1 two-channel iTunes-friendly audio track when you repackage the assets. As long as the video in the MKV is H.264 or MPEG-4 and conforms to the iTunes standard, it can be passed through without transcoding.

After two weeks of downloading trialware, I have yet to find (on OS X or Windows) a single app that can remux mkv to m4v, passing the H.264 video and AC3 audio untouched, while mixing down a 2-ch AAC track. MP4Tools comes very close, but I get wacky audio sync issues because it either doesn't read my frame rate info correctly, or my original mkvs aren't really 23.976fps, despite saying so in VLC, QT, Plex, and XBMC. It's starting to really piss me off.

I wish someone would make an option in Handbrake to pass video as-is. They figured out how to pass AC3 and downmix Pro Logic II tracks simultaneously, so I really don't see what the hangup is. That would solve everything.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 06:03 PM   #5
BrettJDeriso
macrumors member

BTW, I don't know if it's still out there, but I used to have an AC3 codec for QT that let me play Dolby Digital 5.1 files right in iTunes and QT, but it always got the channel mappings wrong. Maybe Perian fixed this? Dunno. That was all fine and dandy for the laptop, desktop, and ATV, but if you want to take it on your iPad (without some processor-hungry aftermarket MKV player app), you're going to need that stereo track.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 06:07 PM   #6
IvanX
macrumors regular

I used this one today and it is pretty good. I like the fact that I can feed it a batch of files and away it goes. It's also free, which doesn't hurt

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mkvavi2mp4/
IvanX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:14 PM   #7
Space Moose
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettJ
After two weeks of downloading trialware, I have yet to find (on OS X or Windows) a single app that can remux mkv to m4v, passing the H.264 video and AC3 audio untouched, while mixing down a 2-ch AAC track. MP4Tools comes very close, but I get wacky audio sync issues because it either doesn't read my frame rate info correctly, or my original mkvs aren't really 23.976fps, despite saying so in VLC, QT, Plex, and XBMC. It's starting to really piss me off.
The drag-and-drop script here works on batches of videos and does indeed pass the video and audio through untouched. There's also relatively simple instructions for manually creating and adding a compatible AAC audio track.

Note, that you don't have to downmix the audio to 2 channel to get it to play in iTunes, AppleTV, iOS devices etc!

You can convert the audio to 5.1 AAC and it plays just fine. It's up to you whether you want to keep both the 5.1 AAC and the 5.1 AC3 (which is an older format than AAC by the way).
Space Moose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 06:44 AM   #8
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Try rebox.net
It works in a couple of minutes and changes the container to mp4 for use in iTunes.
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/rebox.NET
Defender2010 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:03 PM   #9
kakalaka
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
Try rebox.net
It works in a couple of minutes and changes the container to mp4 for use in iTunes.
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/rebox.NET
this rebox is a piece of crap, have tried it on 2 PCs, just errors...
kakalaka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:05 PM   #10
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

I hate how apple only lets us use mp4's. I'd get an android tablet to watch some of these videos but it would get redundant.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad