Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 30, 2010
UK
Hi guys.

Has anyone noticed when doing a Google search on an iPad 3rd gen that the blue (unvisited) search results appear like the purple (previously visited) links on the iPad 2 and other computers?

Several times now I've googled and I've thought at first they were all purple!

When one result actually is purple because I've visited it before, the difference is noticeable but I think this is really weird?

Is it just my eyes or has anyone else noticed this?

-Brookzy

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
No, I've noticed it as well. All blue looks deeper with the new screen.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Google changed the font colors for search. The results seem to be a black color.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Watching an episode of Archer (Swiss Miss), and the night scenes looked purple - but on my TV, iMac, IP4, - it was blue.

Could be onto something...

Brookzy

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 30, 2010
UK
Well I'm glad it's not just me.

My eyes aren't great at all anyway. But to be colourblind as well... :eek:

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Definitely looks purple to me, too, and I've head every gen iPad and the last three iPhones. Those displays show as blue, where it's like the blue is so saturated on the new iPad it looks purple.

Try Craigslist.org as their simple blue listing results all look purple-ish now.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 30, 2010
UK
Thinking about it, I can remember a similar thing happening with the iPhone 1st gen compared to the 3G. The 1st gen had a distinctly brighter blue tint while the 3G was less bright and much warmer.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
I'll give it a week, see if it changes at all. This may be a problem, considering I intended to use this for photo viewing - so if it does not shift, or cannot be calibrated, may have to roll the dice on another unit...

vcuares

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2008
I think the 3 is displaying a little better gamut of colors or it might be calibration too. I noticed this with when I saw this difference on my wide gamut IPS monitor vs an ordinary IPS monitor.

Go here.
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php
Go the second color, it is purple on the ipad and look at the same link on a standard monitor, it might be pale blue or lavander. the true color is purple.

scroll down some more and you'll get the real blue color.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
You guys are good at finding problems. :)

I checked and mine on Craigslist does look like purple text instead of blue if that's what it's supposed to be....but ah well not returning mine, everything else is fine. I don't get it though why on this forum here Macrumors blue bold and regular text is fine and accurate?

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Don't get me wrong, I'm not returning my either. I just couldn't help but notice on craigslist because I visit that website so often.

It does seem indeed like a calibration problem, I hope it gets fixed soon, but mine is staying right where it is and not going back to the store. :)

Brookzy

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 30, 2010
UK
TBH, I don't actually consider this a fault, just a new characteristic of the retina display.

Definitely not returning it for this.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
I think the 3 is displaying a little better gamut of colors or it might be calibration too. I noticed this with when I saw this difference on my wide gamut IPS monitor vs an ordinary IPS monitor.

Go here.
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php
Go the second color, it is purple on the ipad and look at the same link on a standard monitor, it might be pale blue or lavander. the true color is purple.

scroll down some more and you'll get the real blue color.

Very interesting.

You know, now that I think of it, I do seem to recall seeing craigslist look sort of purple on an iMac monitor one time. Perhaps the iPad is showing the true colors of on the web now?

By the way, this new dictation feature is really convenient! You can even use it to highlight mistakes and correct them piecemeal with voice instead of retyping!

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Going to load some HTML bitmaps and then measure using a spectrometer. Part of me does not want to do this test... however, the reason I got this iPad in the first place was for viewing photos and schematics...

Redrum509

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2012
I thought I was seeing things until I saw this thread. The first time I went on Craigslist I noticed the wording to be purplish. I just thought that was the true color since my laptop is just crap. Good to know I'm not the only one.:p

iMule

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2009
Greenville, SC
Damn, I just made a topic about this. Maybe I have a good iPad then. It's not the new iPad Yellow. I got the new iPad Blue. iPad Bleu!

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
Looks fine to me as well with clear differences between the blue links and purples...

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
All blues look purple to me on the new iPad. But when I look at color chart images online, blues look blue. It's like only blues being rendered by iOS have the problem. Check out the Facebook splash screen. Looks really purplish.

Edit: it must be the website code because the colors on this chart look great to me.
http://www.somacon.com/p142.php

Edit2: it must be something to do with how close the pixels are because if you zoom in all the way, on Craigslist site for example, the text looks blue but when you zoom out the small text looks more purplish

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.