Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
What options are there to protect the back of the iPad 3 then?

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I'm using a Maroo Roto II case for now but, ultimately, I think I want to switch to using a hard shell back case that also allows the use of an Apple Smart Cover. That way, I can remove the Smart Cover when I want to shoot video or photos but still keep the back of the iPad protected.

Ideally, this back case material will have a somewhat rubberized texture so it improves my grip on the iPad.

So far, I'm not aware of any hard shell back cases (without permanently attached smart cover) that have been released for the iPad 3.

Mark

----------

That's the type of back case I'm looking for but that one is for the iPad 2. I don't see an option for that case and an iPad 3 anywhere on their site.

Mark

C0bra K0mmander

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2009
New Jersey
"That's the type of back case I'm looking for but that one is for the iPad 2. I don't see an option for that case and an iPad 3 anywhere on their site."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On their site it does state that its compatible with the New iPad:

"SPIGEN SGP The new iPad / iPad 2 Hard Case Harmonie Series"
SPIGEN SGP Harmonie Slim Fit Case carefully designed and constructed with durable and harmless polycarbonate material for The new iPad and iPad 2. The Harmonie case is designed to complement the Apple Smart Cover and comes in a variety of colors. This snap on case highlights the design of the iPad's thin form and features an Apple logo cutout on the back of the case.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
"That's the type of back case I'm looking for but that one is for the iPad 2. I don't see an option for that case and an iPad 3 anywhere on their site."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On their site it does state that its compatible with the New iPad:

"SPIGEN SGP The new iPad / iPad 2 Hard Case Harmonie Series"
SPIGEN SGP Harmonie Slim Fit Case carefully designed and constructed with durable and harmless polycarbonate material for The new iPad and iPad 2. The Harmonie case is designed to complement the Apple Smart Cover and comes in a variety of colors. This snap on case highlights the design of the iPad's thin form and features an Apple logo cutout on the back of the case.

Sorry, but there's NO WAY the same hard-shell back cover can fit properly on both an iPad 2 and iPad 3. The iPad 3 is .6mm thicker AND the contours around the edges is different than the iPad 2.

You may get an iPad 2 hard-shell case onto an iPad 3 but it will be far from a perfect fit.

Mark

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA
Lots of threads already exist about this for the iPad 2. Those same companies are probably reproducing them for the 3. Im waiting on my smart feather by Incipio to arrive. I had the Zum SC Ultimate for my iPad 2 but decided against waiting for them to come out with a new case because the corners broke off both models ordered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.