Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:01 PM   #1
Cutwolf
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Does a truly portable iPad charger exist?

The beauty of the iPad is its portability. However, when you need to charge the iPad, you obviously have limited range (near a plug) while it charges.

I know there are external batteries, but those also tend to be pretty big and heavy.

Is there anything approximately wallet sized that I could easily slip into my pocket and use to charge the iPad without limiting my mobility?
Cutwolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:07 PM   #2
j.leson
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutwolf View Post
The beauty of the iPad is its portability. However, when you need to charge the iPad, you obviously have limited range (near a plug) while it charges.

I know there are external batteries, but those also tend to be pretty big and heavy.

Is there anything approximately wallet sized that I could easily slip into my pocket and use to charge the iPad without limiting my mobility?
Have you taken a look at this: http://www.newtrent.com/Best-iPad-Ba...-p/imp1000.htm

I'm not sure anything exists that's wallet sized and has enough of a capacity to charge an ipad. The ipad batteries are quite large.
j.leson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:11 PM   #3
Cutwolf
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.leson View Post
Have you taken a look at this: http://www.newtrent.com/Best-iPad-Ba...-p/imp1000.htm

I'm not sure anything exists that's wallet sized and has enough of a capacity to charge an ipad. The ipad batteries are quite large.
New Trent could work, though 500 charge cycles seems a little low?

Thanks for the recommend!
Cutwolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:49 PM   #4
j.leson
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutwolf View Post
New Trent could work, though 500 charge cycles seems a little low?

Thanks for the recommend!
No problem! For me, an external battery back is more so used as an emergency solution. So I don't think the 500 charge cycles will be an issue. Plus, I think the 500 just means that the battery will start to loose some of it's capacity after the 500 cycles.
j.leson is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:07 PM   #5
Cutwolf
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.leson View Post
No problem! For me, an external battery back is more so used as an emergency solution. So I don't think the 500 charge cycles will be an issue. Plus, I think the 500 just means that the battery will start to loose some of it's capacity after the 500 cycles.
Do you have the one you linked? How bulky is it?
Cutwolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:13 PM   #6
j.leson
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutwolf View Post
Do you have the one you linked? How bulky is it?
It has some heft to it, but it definitely fits in the palm of my hands. It should fit into a large coat pocket, or your pants pocket.

Take a look at this unboxing for a better idea of the size. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrM9r...eature=related
j.leson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2012, 09:27 PM   #7
hedaprakash
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
the best out there at this point....i had left a review on amazon as well

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
hedaprakash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2012, 09:29 PM   #8
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Check out Hypershop.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
does a car charger/mount like this exist? jayo123456 iPhone Accessories 4 Sep 2, 2013 06:28 AM
What would be the best portable charger for iPhone 5? piatti Buying Tips and Advice 21 Aug 15, 2013 01:22 AM
Best iphone/ipad portable charger Blaze500 iPhone 2 Feb 28, 2013 10:55 AM
Portable Charger? adam044 iPhone 4 Nov 27, 2012 09:53 AM
Portable iPad charger mac maniac iPad 1 Aug 29, 2012 02:57 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC