Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:18 PM   #76
SuperCachetes
macrumors 6502a

Having done LSD several times in high school and college, I'm okay with it (and marijuana, and peyote, and hallucinogenic mushrooms) being legalized as long as the penalties for DUIs or intoxication-related misconduct are raised.

My only real hesitation on something like acid or the other hallucinogenics is that the trip is just so long. I mean, you have to set aside some time to do LSD. At least I did - in every instance it was pretty much an all-nighter. It's not something you can just "snap out of" IMHO, not that any drug really is.

To be clear about my comment on penalties, I don't think LSD or marijuana necessarily increase the risk of DUI - I just think the penalties are in general too lax. If the downside for risking lives was greater, maybe more people would quit doing it. If people stay in their own home or other safe haven, I'm all for getting blitzed out of your gourd on your drug of choice.
SuperCachetes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:26 PM   #77
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Cannibas I don't care about, and while I wouldn't smoke it myself, I wouldn't disagree to it being legalized. LSD and Acid should def be kept illegal though. While cannibas is somewhat natural, LSD is toxic ****, like meth. **** like that causes people to commit crimes.
mrsir2009 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:06 PM   #78
yojitani
macrumors 68000

FWW I'm in favor of complete legalization of all drugs. Criminalisation causes more problems at so many levels than legalization.

As drugs go, LSD is can be quite beneficial. In fact, just a week or so ago a review of studies conducted in the 50s and 60s on the use of LSD for the treatment of alcoholism suggested that there could be tangible benefits. Apparently an LSD experience helped alcoholics gain perspective on their condition, motivating them to quit. LSD is not one of those drugs that many people will be tempted to abuse (there are always some). It lasts too long and the effects are too variable.

Ecstasy in the treatment of PTSD has also shown to be a useful drug...
yojitani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:21 PM   #79
HarryPot
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojitani View Post
FWW I'm in favor of complete legalization of all drugs. Criminalisation causes more problems at so many levels than legalization.
I'm also in favor of legalization of all kind of drugs.

Not so much because I like them, but because of all the black market that exists behind them is not helping anybody.
HarryPot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:30 PM   #80
swingerofbirch
macrumors 68030

I've never been on anything but psychiatric drugs (and they really need to be completely overhauled in the way they are prescribed—more antipsychotics are now prescribed for off-label usage than for their approved use and I developed diabetes while taking them).

I've heard that some people have amazing experiences and revelations from LSD and some that never get over the life long side effects. It was used by doctors at some point in trying to treat mentally ill patients. And it was also developed by the government. I've heard Ken Kesey said that the best LSD he ever used was LSD made by the government. I think he was in some government projects where he took it. If anyone is interested in that, they should double check the info, though. I just remember hearing this through the grape vine.

I'm not sure about the legality of LSD. I guess I think if people want to use it, the people who are going to use it in spite of it being legal or illegal, they should have access to the safest LSD if such a thing exists. How that applies to the law—I have no idea.
swingerofbirch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:31 PM   #81
Dweez
macrumors 6502a

I consumed my share in the 70s. I'm of the opinion (opinion, no way to see it as factual) that my interaction with LSD had a negative effect on my intellect and caused me some memory issues.

Legalize it? To what end?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:58 PM   #82
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Cannibas I don't care about, and while I wouldn't smoke it myself, I wouldn't disagree to it being legalized. LSD and Acid should def be kept illegal though. While cannibas is somewhat natural, LSD is toxic ****, like meth. **** like that causes people to commit crimes.
Toxic? Causes people to commit crimes? Sheesh, where are you getting that from? Clearly you have absolutely no understanding of LSD.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:44 AM   #83
iBlue
macrumors Core

With a few notable exceptions from a few clued-up posters this is a very disheartening thread. It is living proof that the misinformation machine works. Many of you really believe that the bad experiences of some should mean illegality everyone... for their own good. Pretty ironic from the "Think Different" crowd.

I truly believe there are things about yourself and the world we live in that you cannot understand until you've taken LSD or mushrooms. That is what Steve Jobs was talking about. It opens a mind-space that would normally go totally unexamined. You really don't know, until you do.

Yes, like MOST intoxicants there can be negative consequences in some but if you are informed about what you're doing you can prepare yourself. Bad trips happen when someone is in an unsafe environment. I've had one as a teenager because of exactly that. It was a rough night but I got through it and learned a lot about myself in the process.

LSD itself has never caused even one death. Neither have a lot of drugs that are currently illegal for our own "good". That so many people have never questioned this is pitiful. I think it's absurd that a full grown adult cannot legally explore their own mind and surroundings down the rabbit hole.

Since I think too critically I'll never have a career in politics so I'll happily admit that I take hallucinogens every so often. It may surprise you to know I am not a freak or bum but a middle class woman with an otherwise pretty normal life. Hallucinogens are a fascinating break from the humdrum of life through a unique nourishment for the mind. Do you know the biggest problem I find with them? I am filled with such intense joy and awe that I cannot stop myself from laughing and smiling. It makes my jaw ache. Hours and hours of moving through colours, shapes, sounds, space and time with nothing but pure bliss. And a jaw ache. I stand on my high rise balcony hundred+ feet above the ground and I don't forget physics and think of jumping. I stand holding my smiling face and watch life moving around and feel amazed by it and connected to it in a way I sometimes forget in between trips. It's only served to better my life. I feel sad for you if you cannot or will not experience this.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 07:08 AM   #84
sim667
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
I've never used it, but my roommate freshman year in college did. He'd do that and marijuana then come back to our dorm room smelling of the smoke. Because this wasn't allowed in the dorms, I'd have some fun with him in his influenced state. Mostly things like saying "The walls are caving in!" while pushing on the wall or saying "Our room's flooding!" while standing on my desk. The usual result was him running out of our room screaming.
Just so you're aware, thats a really prickish thing to do.

OP: I've done it a fair few times, aswell as most other chemicals, its one of the ones I consider a bit lighter, its not physically addictive (or particularly mentally) and like other things in the hallucinogenic family (weed, DMT, mushrooms) you dont really see people who struggle with addiction with these substances. This also goes for MDMA. I've tried all of those and not really had problems with them. People who do have issues tend to have done way too much, been awake for 3 or 4 days straight, or have layered the drugs on top of each other. The scary thing with 'cid is that you can get lost in it if you're not a mentally strong character, and thats why its dangerous. However with 'cid, and DMT (and mushrooms a bit but I havent done them), ive had such profound life changing mental experiences on them that they've really shaped the person I've turned into for the better, not that I'm without fault as I'm currently recovering from a habit of a more legal, but more physically damaging substance, however I feel very different to the selfish, clueless late teenager I was before getting involved.

However the more chemically complex substances such as skag, K, coke, crack (and i guess meth if you're in america) are much more physically addictive, and these are the ones I take issue with, as a general rule I think ones in the top paragraphic should be decriminalised, the ones lower down not so much. But at the same time does anyone have a moral right to say what we can and cant do to ourselves? In my opinion, no they dont.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 07:16 AM   #85
sim667
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlue View Post
With a few notable exceptions from a few clued-up posters this is a very disheartening thread. It is living proof that the misinformation machine works. Many of you really believe that the bad experiences of some should mean illegality everyone... for their own good. Pretty ironic from the "Think Different" crowd.

I truly believe there are things about yourself and the world we live in that you cannot understand until you've taken LSD or mushrooms. That is what Steve Jobs was talking about. It opens a mind-space that would normally go totally unexamined. You really don't know, until you do.

Yes, like MOST intoxicants there can be negative consequences in some but if you are informed about what you're doing you can prepare yourself. Bad trips happen when someone is in an unsafe environment. I've had one as a teenager because of exactly that. It was a rough night but I got through it and learned a lot about myself in the process.

LSD itself has never caused even one death. Neither have a lot of drugs that are currently illegal for our own "good". That so many people have never questioned this is pitiful. I think it's absurd that a full grown adult cannot legally explore their own mind and surroundings down the rabbit hole.
Totally agree with you, policy makers should be turning their attention to the legal highs turning up, but thinking about decriminalising currently criminalised tried and tested substances. I've seen far more damage to people through mephedrone, ketamine and mxe than any other class a or b.

We're blatantly the liberal Londoners on the thread

I guess we're lucky in the UK as we dont really have some of the more dangerous drugs like that states, such as crystal meth and PCP, plus we dont have guns. I bet when the mental meth and pcp users start taking potshots at people with handguns in the street, its no wonder there seems to be a much stronger link between crime and drugs in the states.

I should add, if anyones on here reading about trying acid, but might want to get their pilots license in the future, then dont try it. Acid never leaves the fluid at the base of you're spine and can cause slight flashbacks (normally up to a month or so after for me), they wont let you have a pilots license if yo've got a history of using acid.

Last edited by sim667; Mar 20, 2012 at 07:23 AM.
sim667 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 07:41 AM   #86
iBlue
macrumors Core

I think this flashback talk is really overblown. I've never had one and I've never known anyone else to either. I sometimes wonder if people are referring to the way you never look at fractals the same way again or the way you are more readily able to detect coherent shapes in non-coherent patterns. That's just a change in perception, not an outright "OH CRAP, I'M TRIPPING AGAIN!" kind of thing. That seems nigh on impossible because that is just not how brain chemistry works. Your brain doesn't just shoot its neurochemical load onto your synapses without significant prompting through collective receptor binding which doesn't occur spontaneously without, well, drugs.

So while I understand it's a risk airlines don't want to take on pilots, I think it's a pretty minimal risk.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:09 AM   #87
sim667
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I think this flashback talk is really overblown. I've never had one and I've never known anyone else to either. I sometimes wonder if people are referring to the way you never look at fractals the same way again or the way you are more readily able to detect coherent shapes in non-coherent patterns. That's just a change in perception, not an outright "OH CRAP, I'M TRIPPING AGAIN!" kind of thing. That seems nigh on impossible because that is just not how brain chemistry works. Your brain doesn't just shoot its neurochemical load onto your synapses without significant prompting through collective receptor binding which doesn't occur spontaneously without, well, drugs.

So while I understand it's a risk airlines don't want to take on pilots, I think it's a pretty minimal risk.
I have flashing lights every now and then in the extremities of my vision for about a month or 2 afterwards, and im not the only person I know that says that.

I've had melts up to a week afterwards too, but only once or twice...... These were only after microdots.

Maybe it a. just doesnt do it for you, b. your 'cid aint that good (its hard to get good stuff now, liquid last summer was weak)
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:26 AM   #88
Mord
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim667 View Post
I have flashing lights every now and then in the extremities of my vision for about a month or 2 afterwards, and im not the only person I know that says that.

I've had melts up to a week afterwards too, but only once or twice...... These were only after microdots.

Maybe it a. just doesnt do it for you, b. your 'cid aint that good (its hard to get good stuff now, liquid last summer was weak)
HPPD and flashbacks are not one and the same thing.

To expand, HPPD happens when you just trip too often, your mind gets used to seeing the world a certain way and visual phenomena stick about for a while, this sounds scary but I've never personally found it to cause me any trouble. The "worst" time I've ever had it it lasted two weeks after I'd dosed myself with ~100mg+ of 2c series psychedelics, it was a pretty pleasant week really, like a warm afterglow.

Last edited by Mord; Mar 20, 2012 at 10:34 AM.
Mord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:32 AM   #89
Peterkro
macrumors 68020

No wanting to take the thread off track again,however the problems surrounding Heroin are almost entirely because it's illegal,overall it's a very safe drug which is why with it's extremely close drug Morphine it's used by the medical profession for pain control.

(by they way I challenge anyone to show me a death caused by Heroin withdrawal,there are none, something you very definitely can't say about Alcohol)
Peterkro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:58 AM   #90
(marc)
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterkro View Post
No wanting to take the thread off track again,however the problems surrounding Heroin are almost entirely because it's illegal,overall it's a very safe drug which is why with it's extremely close drug Morphine it's used by the medical profession for pain control.

(by they way I challenge anyone to show me a death caused by Heroin withdrawal,there are none, something you very definitely can't say about Alcohol)
Isn't it extremely addicting?
(marc) is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:03 AM   #91
Mord
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by (marc) View Post
Isn't it extremely addicting?
Not as addictive as tobacco, for example.

It's a horrid drug and I'd not advocate anyone touch it, but if it were as damaging as alcohol was it would be as big a problem as alcohol is, legality has no real significant correlation with use.
Mord is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:06 AM   #92
Intell
macrumors G5

Quote:
Just so you're aware, thats a really prickish thing to do.
Of course. It's also rather prickish to come into my room smelling of smoke and possibly get myself kicked out of the college. Hence why I wanted him to leave our room.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:24 AM.
Intell is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:24 AM   #93
scottness
macrumors 65816

I've done LSD twice, about 20 years ago. The first time was awesome. I remember the cheese on the pizza I was eating doing some strange things…

The second time, I ran like a madman at a crowded amusement park because there was crazy stuff chasing me. I would have done anything to get away from the scary dark blue things (the other ones seemed to be fine, don't ask me why). That was the last time I ever considered acid, and this is why I don't think it should be legalized. I'm pretty sure I could have hurt someone just to get away from a hallucination. 20 years later… not cool.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:39 AM   #94
ericrwalker
Banned

I can't say I am surprised by the people here who are supporters of LSD. It puts a lot of perspective on other threads. Yeah if you tried it once or twice because you were at an awesome concert or you were curious in college, I can understand.

I always wondered what compelled a person to try such a thing in the first place.

A question for the people who believe "LSD isn't that bad". Would you mind if your children did it? Would you encourage them to try it or stay away from it?
ericrwalker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:46 AM   #95
iBlue
macrumors Core

Quote:

You dissing my drugs, dude? I've only had HPPD once or twice in a summer long ago when I was doing a lot of tripping. I actually attributed it to eye strain. It only lasted a couple days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterkro View Post

MOST problems surrounding drugs are due to their illegality. I also think damage is all highly individual. One person may know their limits and another may not. I wouldn't call heroin safe though. There is tiny margin between being high and overdosing and the addiction to it is pretty harsh. I think it still has its uses in medicine though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottness View Post
I've done LSD twice, about 20 years ago. The first time was awesome. I remember the cheese on the pizza I was eating doing some strange things…

The second time, I ran like a madman at a crowded amusement park because there was crazy stuff chasing me. I would have done anything to get away from the scary dark blue things (the other ones seemed to be fine, don't ask me why). That was the last time I ever considered acid, and this is why I don't think it should be legalized. I'm pretty sure I could have hurt someone just to get away from a hallucination. 20 years later… not cool.
It is widely known that the environment you are in while you are in that mind-state is VERY important. You should always trip somewhere safe with people you trust. Anything else and it can go wrong. A person in hysterics isn't the best candidate to get totally drunk either. It's all relative.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:49 AM   #96
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
I can't say I am surprised by the people here who are supporters of LSD. It puts a lot of perspective on other threads. Yeah if you tried it once or twice because you were at an awesome concert or you were curious in college, I can understand.

I always wondered what compelled a person to try such a thing in the first place.

A question for the people who believe "LSD isn't that bad". Would you mind if your children did it? Would you encourage them to try it or stay away from it?
Well I can answer that, one of my daughters tried LSD. She asked if I had used LSD in my youth, which I had, and what were my experiences with the drug. I had an open and frank talk, I explained that when used right LSD can be a fantastic experience.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:51 AM   #97
scottness
macrumors 65816

Quote:

It is widely known that the environment you are in while you are in that mind-state is VERY important. You should always trip somewhere safe with people you trust. Anything else and it can go wrong. A person in hysterics isn't the best candidate to get totally drunk either. It's all relative.
Agreed, though that advice is definitely not used a lot of the time. I concede some, like you, are probably fine with it. Many others are not… Like me 20 years ago.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:52 AM   #98
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post
Well I can answer that, one of my daughters tried LSD. She asked if I had used LSD in my youth, which I had, and what were my experiences with the drug. I had an open and frank talk, I explained that when used right LSD can be a fantastic experience.

Did you teach her how to 'use it right'?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:18 PM   #99
mcrain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
Did you teach her how to 'use it right'?
I don't know, how do you teach a kid to use a gun right? How do you teach a kid to be a racist the right way? How do you teach a kid to not care about the poor, the needy or the infirm? How do you teach a kid to be greedy in the right way?
mcrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:22 PM   #100
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
I don't know, how do you teach a kid to use a gun right? How do you teach a kid to be a racist the right way? How do you teach a kid to not care about the poor, the needy or the infirm? How do you teach a kid to be greedy in the right way?
My daughter will be learning how to be using a gun the right way for sure. I don't want her to shoot someone. I don't think there is a right way to be a racist, would you care to explain? Who doesn't care about the poor or needy? Though I would rather teach them how to fish rather than give them fish I have caught, unless I caught more than I need (that's rare). As for the infirm, again, I don't think it's the governments job to take care of them. Friends, family, local community and other charities. How to be greedy? Really???? Aren't you a lawyer? Isn't your whole job based on greed? I probably make a fraction of what you make a year.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues