Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Image from BusinessInsider
Apple issued a media alert indicating that it would be holding a conference call on Monday, March 19th at 6 a.m. PDT/9 a.m. EDT. The conference call will "announce the outcome of the Company's discussions concerning its cash balance."
Tim Cook, Apple's CEO, and Peter Oppenheimer, Apple's CFO, will host a conference call to announce the outcome of the Company's discussions concerning its cash balance. Apple® will not be providing an update on the current quarter nor will any topics be discussed other than cash.
As of Q1 2012 results, Apple had $96.7 billion in cash and marketable securities, up $16 billion from the prior quarter.

Apple's growing stockpile of cash reserves has been the subject of much speculation. When questioned during the Q1 2012 results, Cook said that Apple was "actively discussing" uses of the cash balance and that they are "not letting it burn a hole in our pocket."

Article Link: Apple to Host Conference Call Monday Concerning its Near $100 Billion Cash Balance

iKennett

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
Dividends?

I assume that kind of activity would signal future intent and help that stock price go even further? My simple logic tells me they would have done that as the stock price growth slows - thus not now?

Perhaps they are going to buy something huge..... a law firm maybe :rolleyes:

Inakto

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
toronto
Dividends divedends dividends :d

Attachments

• hsc1437l.jpg
    hsc1437l.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:

Lynn Belvedere

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Why not keep a stockpile of cash for massive investments in R&D, acquisitions, and/or marketing when things aren't going so well? Looking at the stock price, I would think the last thing apple needs is to issue dividends.

ArztMac

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
My prediction, 90% sure: Apple Inc. will repurchase TONS of their outstanding stock at outlandish prices. This makes SO much more sense than a dividend.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'm guessing they will announce plans for a special dividend sometime in 2012 (maybe $15-25/share). Right now, qualifying dividends are taxed at 15% rather than at normal income rates (i.e. the same as long term capital gains). That special tax treatment is set to expire at the end of the year. It is also possible they will announce a small regular dividend (perhaps $1/share) that would not be very costly, but would open up their stock to investment by pension plans and mutual funds whose charters require them to invest in dividend-paying stocks. A stock buyback is also possible, but a bit silly when the stock is trading at record highs.

I also would not be surprised if they announce plans to invest a portion of their stockpile in an "incubator" for research and development (i.e. making private equity-type investments in startups). That would be productive use of the money, and potentially give Apple some leverage in the coming years in terms of intellectual property. Apple has a big enough stockpile of cash and investments that today, it really looks like an investment manager and technology company rolled into one. I'm not saying they will, but it would not surprise me.

stellaclose

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2006
Isn't most of this cash kept overseas and they didn't bring it back to the US for tax reasons???....I wonder how this would impact the dividend payments if this is indeed what they're planning on doing.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Take off 15% - 30% retail price on all Macs.

We could but dream.

17 years is long overdue, it's time to start paying those who hold stock a dividend once again. Even a small token gesture would be an improvement than what happened under Jobs. At the time he had a point, but once the iPod took off he should have returned the company to paying a dividend. It shouldn't have needed a change in CEO for this to even be considered.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
My prediction, 90% sure: Apple Inc. will repurchase TONS of their outstanding stock at outlandish prices. This makes SO much more sense than a dividend.

Stock buybacks suck for a bunch of reasons - I'll be unhappy if they did this.

It shows a lack of imagination on how to invest the money, for starters.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Apple will announce the purchase of a major ***** company. The stock on both companies will be halted during the announcement so watch the market Monday.

Dividends and stock buybacks are usually announced at the end of a quarter.

leukotriene

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
I honestly don't get why they'd issue dividends now...isn't there enough value being generated from stock growth anyway? I hope they do something more creative with the cash

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Why not keep a stockpile of cash for massive investments in R&D, acquisitions, and/or marketing when things aren't going so well? Looking at the stock price, I would think the last thing apple needs is to issue dividends.
You can do that with substantially less cash in reserve than Apple has. As the graph shows, in 2007, Apple had $10 billion on hand. Companies are a bit more conservative now, but I can't imagine they'd need more than $25-30 billion in reserve.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo

Why? The stock price is already very high and all a stock buy back would do is increase the share price. My money is on a dividend of some sort. It is not Apple's money, it is the shareholders money. And if it is just going to sit there, it should be returned to them.

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
Scott Forstall has never been to Disney World, so first, Apple will send him there. Scott has been quoted as being very excited about Space Mountain.

Bob Mansfield will be installing a deck on the back of his house. He may also install a rain gauge.

Jony Ive intends on taking his kids out for breakfast every other Sunday for the rest of the year.

Peter Oppenheimer has been heard that he needs to "live a little" and will be stepping away from model railroading and plans on using some of the money to take up fly fishing.

Tim Cook plans on buying a new iPad.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Isn't most of this cash kept overseas and they didn't bring it back to the US for tax reasons???....I wonder how this would impact the dividend payments if this is indeed what they're planning on doing.

I think about 40% of their cash is in the US vs. the rest overseas. That would give them plenty to distribute to American shareholders without repatriating cash. I believe if they distribute overseas cash to shareholders registered outside the US, that also would not trigger the repatriation tax.

leukotriene

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Apple will announce the purchase of a major ***** company. The stock on both companies will be halted during the announcement so watch the market Monday.

Like who? What large company could they possibly acquire without it being blocked by the DOJ? And they're philosophically opposed to adding non-Apple culture into the company. By which I mean non-Apple employees.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.