Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:00 PM   #1
iNole
macrumors member

How has your leather smart cover held up?

I have a poly but am considering buying a leather one. I have heard leather is harder to keep clean and sometimes darkens around the edges from use. If you have a leather smart cover, how has it held up over the past year? Worth the $70? Opinions and pictures are appreciated! Thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Very well. Weekly wipe over with baby wipes keeps it sweet!
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Nhwhazup
macrumors 6502a

Hate it

I bought one for my new iPad today in the cream color. Had finger prints and smudges all over it before I even got home and that was handling it with clean and dried hands. Will definitely be looking for a replacement case.
Nhwhazup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:27 PM   #4
deeddawg
macrumors 601

Black leather, a week shy of being a year old.

It's clearly not new out of the box, but it's held up well. It shows that it's been used, like a good leather computer bag, but just adds some character. It doesn't look worn as in frayed or anything. I should probably polish it sometime.

Is it worth $70? I'd really prefer it to have cost substantially less, but it is what it is. There was no dark gray poly smart cover when I bought it, so I didn't have much choice if I wanted black.

I'm super happy I took my chances and didn't include it with my ipad2 when I sold it in February.

I wouldn't get a light colored leather one though. Black or navy you can touch up with shoe polish.
deeddawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:33 PM   #5
ReallyBigFeet
macrumors 68030

A year old here as well, black leather. Mine has been beat to crap and back, but I still like it. Its got gouges in it, scrapes, nicks, the creases between the panels are more wrinkled than granpa's butt and the corners are floppy.

But like a good pair of leather gloves, its SUPPOSED to look worn over time. I'm happy with how well its held up actually given the environment I expose it to daily (construction sites).

Better it than the screen.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:13 PM   #6
pavvento
macrumors 6502

I just purchased the black leather and was a little disappointed with the quality of it; I expect better for $70. Also, it is quite firm as a stand when it is in the almost straight up position, but the case seems to 'buckle' when it is in the other position so it sometimes falls which is frustrating.
pavvento is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:24 PM   #7
dajazz
macrumors newbie

Mine started to separate on one of the corners, ended up taking it off after I noticed it was also scratching the aluminum back where the magnet bar attached.
dajazz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:33 PM   #8
jjk454ss
macrumors 68030

I picked up a leather one at Meijer for $40, the poly are $25. This was last week, I'm not sure if the price went up today being a new week, but if you have a Meijer in your area it might be worth checking.
jjk454ss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:34 PM   #9
rgarjr
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
I just purchased the black leather and was a little disappointed with the quality of it; I expect better for $70. Also, it is quite firm as a stand when it is in the almost straight up position, but the case seems to 'buckle' when it is in the other position so it sometimes falls which is frustrating.
76 bucks seems like a lot of dough to spend on it.
rgarjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:39 PM   #10
Jasmynsway
macrumors regular

I have a black leather smart cover and it has held up very well. I like the simplicity of it and the form factor. It's pricey but after buying and returning too many cases to name, I'm th happiest with it.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:05 PM   #11
Fuchal
macrumors 68000

I'm using the red one from my iPad 2 and it's still in great shape almost a year later. Sure it's got a few marks + a little darker around the edges, but it doesn't look dirty, just a little weathered.
Fuchal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:17 PM   #12
Djentleman
macrumors member

The poly one is shocking. Attracts dirt like no mans business and there are like white patches on it, like it's been scraped. I don't know of that's a faulty one or they do that, but it's annoying, because I've only been using since Friday an it stays in another foam lines protective case most of the time.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:28 PM   #13
kingalien
macrumors regular

I agree with the other posters. Initially I bought a poly cover when the iPad 2 came out. Quickly swapped it for a black leather as I knew the poly one would quickly attract dirt. The black leather has held up quite well. It does show wear but is still good enough to be sold with my 2.
kingalien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 02:55 PM   #14
iNole
macrumors member

Hmmm thanks for your responses! Gives me something to think about...
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:04 PM   #15
ValentinoV
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuchal View Post
I'm using the red one from my iPad 2 and it's still in great shape almost a year later. Sure it's got a few marks + a little darker around the edges, but it doesn't look dirty, just a little weathered.
Can u post some pics? I'm thinking about buying one for my white iPad
ValentinoV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:15 PM   #16
Luba
macrumors 6502

hmmm . . . poly attracts dirt more than leather? perhaps the poly material has more static electricity than leather??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djentleman View Post
The poly one is shocking. Attracts dirt like no mans business and there are like white patches on it, like it's been scraped. I don't know of that's a faulty one or they do that, but it's annoying, because I've only been using since Friday an it stays in another foam lines protective case most of the time.

----------

hmmm . . . poly attracts dirt more than leather, perhaps the poly material has more static electricity than leather??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingalien View Post
I agree with the other posters. Initially I bought a poly cover when the iPad 2 came out. Quickly swapped it for a black leather as I knew the poly one would quickly attract dirt. The black leather has held up quite well. It does show wear but is still good enough to be sold with my 2.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories