Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:27 PM   #1
Italstln13
macrumors member

"Set up as a new iPhone"- Will this delete contacts?

My friend purchased his iPhone 4 in Janurary '11. The Verizon store setup his phone. He never has plugged his phone into itunes. I want to update all his stuff and setup up iCloud for him. When I plugged his phone into itunes, it asks if I want to "Set up as a new iPhone" or "Restore from the backup". There is no relevant backup to use. If I "Set up as a new iPhone" will this delete/erase his contacts? His contacts is the only thing he is concerned about losing. Thanks!
Italstln13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:05 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italstln13 View Post
My friend purchased his iPhone 4 in Janurary '11. The Verizon store setup his phone. He never has plugged his phone into itunes. I want to update all his stuff and setup up iCloud for him. When I plugged his phone into itunes, it asks if I want to "Set up as a new iPhone" or "Restore from the backup". There is no relevant backup to use. If I "Set up as a new iPhone" will this delete/erase his contacts? His contacts is the only thing he is concerned about losing. Thanks!
Yes, when you setup as new all his contacts and everything on it will be gone.
But if those contacts are saved/synced to icloud before you restore then you can get them again to his device by logging in to his icloud account.
Applejuiced is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting