Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

View Poll Results: which one will get a retina display?
Macbook air! 26 25.00%
Macbook Pro! 31 29.81%
Niether :P 31 29.81%
Both!!!! 16 15.38%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:03 AM   #1
yanksrock100
macrumors 6502

Which is more likely to get a retina display in 2012? MBA or MBP

Which do you think will get a retina display in 2012?

The MacBook pro, or the MacBook air?

My assumption that the MBA will later this year (maybe right after ML) because it has 11inch, and 13 inch, which is probably easier to manufacture than a 13, 15, and 17.

Like some of you said, if the MBA doesn't get a retina display, I hope it will at least get a resolution bump like the Asus.

Whats your opinions?

Do you think retina display Macs are coming in 2012?

Last edited by yanksrock100; Mar 19, 2012 at 10:48 PM.
yanksrock100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:22 AM   #2
Oli3000
macrumors regular

Before I read the articles on the Asus Zenbook, I was convinced it would be the pro first. However, I cannot see Apple letting a competitor get the upper hand on them. So if that is true the air has to!

Having said that, the rumoured zen book spec was not 'full retina', so perhaps we will just see an increase in the air and 'full retina' in the pros?
Oli3000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:13 AM   #3
nexsta
macrumors 6502

If any of this macbook will get a retina display, you can forget to play any graphic intense game on it in full resolution. The battery life would also be bad. I can live with the resoultion we have now on the airs and want a better battery and graphic perfomance in the future.

Last edited by nexsta; Mar 19, 2012 at 05:19 AM.
nexsta is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:07 AM   #4
KittyKatta
macrumors 6502

Sorry if this is a dumb question but is a retina MacBook realistic? From what I've read then the new iPad screen is a technological feat but it's only 9.7" and required making it thicker and doubling the battery capacity in order to maintain the same battery life. I'm not sure if the public would accept that tradeoff on a product who's main selling point is how thin it is and who's biggest drawback is its battery life.

I have a retina display iPad and the screen is so amazing that I'm selling my 11" Air in hopes that next gen a retina display Macbook will be less strenuous on my eyes but I just don't know if it would actually happen on the MacBook? If larger screens are an issue then I dont think Apple would allow an 11" retina but leave the the 13, 15, and 17 as "normal" displays.
KittyKatta is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:08 AM   #5
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I think the MBP sees it before the MB Airs.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:21 AM   #6
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexsta View Post
If any of this macbook will get a retina display, you can forget to play any graphic intense game on it in full resolution. The battery life would also be bad. I can live with the resoultion we have now on the airs and want a better battery and graphic perfomance in the future.
You could pretty much say the same now.
NutsNGum is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:40 AM   #7
Hawkeye16
macrumors regular

I agree with the few posters above. I would not want to see it in the Air because it would adversely affect the battery life, which is one of the biggest selling points. It is not a gaming machine so there is really no point in having it either.

I would say MBP first, but probably not anytime soon.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:50 AM   #8
Jobsian
macrumors 6502a

I'd guess the Air
Jobsian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:51 AM   #9
theSeb
macrumors 603

Neither for now (this year) and I shall eat my hat if I am wrong.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:57 AM   #10
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
I think the MBP sees it before the MB Airs.
I'm of the opposite opinion here unless panel density (as in thickness) with the air makes it too difficult. The Air currently only requires up to a 13" panel, and it's obviously been a big focus for them. I've read the rumors about thinner macbook pros. None were from reliable sources, and there really isn't a guarantee until we see something shipping. Anyway if they keep the current sizes, I'd expect an Air retina could come out first. I know Samsung has shown some high resolution panels, but there aren't any currently shipping products, and the laptops tend to use a lot more in the way of generic parts than the ipad.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:03 AM   #11
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
I'm of the opposite opinion here unless panel density (as in thickness) with the air makes it too difficult. The Air currently only requires up to a 13" panel, and it's obviously been a big focus for them. I've read the rumors about thinner macbook pros. None were from reliable sources, and there really isn't a guarantee until we see something shipping. Anyway if they keep the current sizes, I'd expect an Air retina could come out first. I know Samsung has shown some high resolution panels, but there aren't any currently shipping products, and the laptops tend to use a lot more in the way of generic parts than the ipad.
I meant because I don't think you can maintain the thickness (or thinness) of the Air with the current tech behind retina today.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:01 PM   #12
mcman77
macrumors 6502a

I don't know but I do know one thing. Ivy Bridge offers support for touch screen!
mcman77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:45 PM   #13
Moonjumper
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKatta View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question but is a retina MacBook realistic? From what I've read then the new iPad screen is a technological feat but it's only 9.7" and required making it thicker and doubling the battery capacity in order to maintain the same battery life. I'm not sure if the public would accept that tradeoff on a product who's main selling point is how thin it is and who's biggest drawback is its battery life.

I have a retina display iPad and the screen is so amazing that I'm selling my 11" Air in hopes that next gen a retina display Macbook will be less strenuous on my eyes but I just don't know if it would actually happen on the MacBook? If larger screens are an issue then I dont think Apple would allow an 11" retina but leave the the 13, 15, and 17 as "normal" displays.
Some of that battery increase was to be able to cope with LTE band chips that are not yet very efficient.
Moonjumper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:56 PM   #14
kwijbo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli3000 View Post
Having said that, the rumoured zen book spec was not 'full retina', so perhaps we will just see an increase in the air and 'full retina' in the pros?
What's 'full retina'?
kwijbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:21 PM   #15
Benbikeman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwijbo View Post
What's 'full retina'?
There is no technical definition of a 'retina' screen, it's just a marketing term used to describe a screen in which a typical person can't resolve individual pixels at a typical viewing distance.

To be honest, the existing MBP 17 and hi-res 15 already meet this definition for most people.

If you want to adopt a tougher definition, and say 'indistinguishable from print at any reasonable distance' (including closer than normal viewing distance), then you're looking at 240DPI for the average person and 300DPI for those with more acute vision. I don't see that coming anytime soon.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:24 PM   #16
halledise
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwijbo View Post
What's 'full retina'?
using both eyes
halledise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:48 PM   #17
kwijbo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilated View Post
There is no technical definition of a 'retina' screen, it's just a marketing term used to describe a screen in which a typical person can't resolve individual pixels at a typical viewing distance.

To be honest, the existing MBP 17 and hi-res 15 already meet this definition for most people.

If you want to adopt a tougher definition, and say 'indistinguishable from print at any reasonable distance' (including closer than normal viewing distance), then you're looking at 240DPI for the average person and 300DPI for those with more acute vision. I don't see that coming anytime soon.
I was being facetious with my question because of the full vs non full distinction being made .

But, there is a technical definition (according to Wikipedia) - 57 arcseconds per pixel. It takes pixel density and viewing distance into account. Based on that number the rumored 11" Zenbook with 1080p screen will be above the threshold for "retina".

Just for comparison, a 65" 1080p tv at a viewing distance of 10 feet also qualifies as "retina"
kwijbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:07 AM   #18
yanksrock100
macrumors 6502

I'm just hoping it at least gets a higher resolution if it doesn't get apples "retina" display.
yanksrock100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:56 AM   #19
drjsway
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexsta View Post
Retina negates the need to play at native resolution. If you can't see pixels, 1:1 pixel mapping is unnoticeable.
drjsway is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:24 PM   #20
yanksrock100
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonjumper
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKatta View Post

Some of that battery increase was to be able to cope with LTE band chips that are not yet very efficient.
I think you are correct
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:01 PM   #21
KittyKatta
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonjumper View Post
On The new iPad its 10hr WiFi vs 9hr LTE.

Thats only an hour difference so while LTE does use some battery, it seems the biggest culprit on requiring more battery is the retina display.
KittyKatta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:57 PM   #22
Oppressed
macrumors 65816

To answer the poll, neither. But at the same time the MBP line will be axed this year and there will only be the "MacBook" line which will be 11", 13", and 15" "air like" machines. Ivy bridge and all that jazz too. Purely speculation based on a collection of rumors though.
Oppressed is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:16 PM   #23
yanksrock100
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I could actually see apple doing that. I just hope there is a resolution bump, if not retina.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:27 AM   #24
blipmusic
macrumors regular

Regardless of what would fall within Apple's definition of "retina" (i.e. x arcseconds), does anyone dare to estimate the cost of the 1920x1080 panels in the new Zenbooks?

That is, will the small ASUS laptops fitted with one of those come in at $1500? $2000? (TBA?)
blipmusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:54 AM   #25
Moonjumper
macrumors 65816

Apparently IGZO screens are potentially easier to make in higher pixel densities. If Sharp (or someone else) gets that working on mass production lines soon, then I suspect that will be the technology Apple use.

The iPad rumours pointed towards the device getting thicker because IGZO wasn't useable in time. The possible thinness of IGZO points the finger more towards the Air being able to use it, but I still think the top end Pro machines will still get the top end screens first.
Moonjumper is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air