Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Hi guys and gals,

i know there are various threads on this topic however all the ones i have seen are old and im just looking forward to a simple answer, when is the iPod Touch 5G going to be out? roughly.... :p September-ish?

Last edited by a moderator:

Invincibilizer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Don't get your hopes on it

Due to a lack of upgrades the past year, the iPod touch might just stall at its current technology.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
It's going to need a processor bump at some point in order to stay relevant with the newer games and applications coming out. September sounds about right.

When the next form factor for the iPhone is released, that will pave the way for the iPod touch sharing that form factor perhaps. (Just like the 3GS paved the way for it's current form factor) They might just keep the A4 around until then. The things still sell like hotcakes, might as well profit off of what works.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
No iPod Touch 5G?

Hi,

Some people are saying the new iPod will be out in september but others say there may never be another iPod Touch again. What makes people think this and is there any evidence?

Thanks

BreadedVirus

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en_US) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Invincibilizer said:
Don't get your hopes on it

Due to a lack of upgrades the past year, the iPod touch might just stall at its current technology.

And i would agree with you. The iPod Touch has been left behind to fend for itself. IF it does get any upgrade, it's going to be very small.

likethesoup2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Orlando, Florida
I suspect the ipod touch is at the end of its life.

Numerous rumors that a smaller ipad are coming, and there have been zero rumors about any kind of new ipod touch.

They'll probably try to get the smaller ipad into a similar price point as the ipod touch.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
there are already numerous threads on this. No one knows when/if the next iPod Touch will come out. It's possible Apple will drop the iPod touch in favor of a smaller version of the iPad.

Timoke6

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2012
Mordor.
I think if they bring out a new one, it will be a minor update like: new processor, and new camera, and maybe more RAM.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
Single0core A5 anyone?

Maybe they'll use the single core A5 found in AppleTV to save cost and battery life while overall improvement is made (even if its less than what iPhone 4S and iPad 3 users are getting) 512mb ram is a no-brainer too. Looking at how cheap the Apple TV is priced, this is an achievable goal while still maintaining the price tag they have today.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I don't see them stopping the ipod touch line.

Its very popular!
I'm sure.. after all they amount to almost 5% of Apple sales. That's lots right?
I was saying last Summer that the Touch was on borrowed time and no one wanted to accept that then. This is now and a new device is going to replace it but what that is I have no info. When some real leaks happen and not just speculation then we can start to see what that will be.

BreadedVirus

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en_US) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm happy with the Touch 4G to be honest. I use it mainly around the house for reading the news, sport etc so upgrade or no upgrade is no big deal for me. It does what is needed.

BreadedVirus

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2012

WLS said:
I don't see them stopping the ipod touch line.

Its very popular!
I'm sure.. after all they amount to almost 5% of Apple sales. That's lots right?
I was saying last Summer that the Touch was on borrowed time and no one wanted to accept that then. This is now and a new device is going to replace it but what that is I have no info. When some real leaks happen and not just speculation then we can start to see what that will be.

It's going to be a smaller tab designed by Apple, made by Samsung. Will have the usual Apple stuff, but with external memory and powered by AndriOS Apple Pie 6. The Fandroids will hate it and the Appleboys will love it.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Maybe they'll use the single core A5 found in AppleTV to save cost and battery life while overall improvement is made (even if its less than what iPhone 4S and iPad 3 users are getting) 512mb ram is a no-brainer too. Looking at how cheap the Apple TV is priced, this is an achievable goal while still maintaining the price tag they have today.

I agree. Single core A5 with 512MB of RAM will make a solid iPod Touch 5th gen internal, perhaps with dual core if Apple is feeling generous.

It's going to be a smaller tab designed by Apple, made by Samsung.

You mean Foxconn or Pegasus? Samsung doesn't make any end product or Apple. They only supply chips and other components just like Qualcomm, nVidia and AMD. In fact none of those three "makes" chips neither. TSMC produces actual chips. I always found it weird that nobody cares who actually produces nVidia graphic chips but it's such a big deal that Apple doesn't own a fab that makes chips.

Techwriter

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
Yep, the iPod Touch is probably coming to an end. Boo hoo.

I own the iPod Touch 3rd gen and couldn't wait until last September in anticipation of what I hoped would be a major upgrade, only to get.....white??!! Are you kidding me?

Last week I broke down and purchased a new iPod Touch 4. I hated to do it, but my current iPod Touch 3rd gen is still running iOS 4.3, no camera, no retina. While I mainly use it for audio and a bit of video, for web surfing, it's getting a bit long in the tooth.

As the previous poster mentioned, there are lots of rumors on the web about a 7" device but nothing about a new iPod Touch. I think Apple wants to focus on their iPad devices, iPhone, and their Macbook air.

If I'm wrong and September brings a new iPod Touch 5th gen, I'll buy it anyway. I say I won't, but I probably won't be able to resist.

BreadedVirus

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2012

fertilized-egg said:

I agree. Single core A5 with 512MB of RAM will make a solid iPod Touch 5th gen internal, perhaps with dual core if Apple is feeling generous.

It's going to be a smaller tab designed by Apple, made by Samsung.

You mean Foxconn or Pegasus? Samsung doesn't make any end product or Apple. They only supply chips and other components just like Qualcomm, nVidia and AMD. In fact none of those three "makes" chips neither. TSMC produces actual chips. I always found it weird that nobody cares who actually produces nVidia graphic chips but it's such a big deal that Apple doesn't own a fab that makes chips.

I was joking. :-/

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009

:eek: Sorry.

I do hope Apple does something with the iPod Touch line up. I know the iPod isn't a lucrative business in comparison to others so they might care less but I often much prefer the thinness and the smaller size of iPod over phones which are either thicker or ridiculously large.

BreadedVirus

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2012

fertilized-egg said:

:eek: Sorry.

I do hope Apple does something with the iPod Touch line up. I know the iPod isn't a lucrative business in comparison to others so they might care less but I often much prefer the thinness and the smaller size of iPod over phones which are either thicker or ridiculously large.

I agree

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
Too son.

Killing it off would be too soon. For now, I still know a lot of people using ipod touch for school and fun, its just a poorman's iOS device which they can target for teens and even developing countries. It WAS targeted for gaming but as you can see, its lagging behind already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.