Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Seems AT&T has LTE rolled out up and down the east coast, with the conspicuous omission of Philadelphia. What gives? Now they're adding LTE service in places like Muncie, Indiana (population 70,000)? Seriously?

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Live in Maryland and work in DC. Got LTE coverage on both states...

Gotta feel the love...

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
I'm pretty sure Verizon skipped some key locales during their rollout as well.

It's not about coverage right now, but rather where and when they can get permissions and contracts. They don't just roll into an area and go tossing LTE towers all over the place. It'll happen.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

BoxerGT2.5 said:
Most people avoid that city anyway.

Oh c'mon, where's the love?

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Oh c'mon, where's the love?

You know the few times I've visited the place and attended sporting events, I wondered that myself. How the F did this place get dubbed as the "city of brotherly love" with these *******s. As one of friend of mine put it, "I'd feel safer at a Man U vs. Man City match".

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Could it be that AT&T is focusing more resources on PA's most livable city? (Hint: It isn't Philly.)

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
You know the few times I've visited the place and attended sporting events, I wondered that myself. How the F did this place get dubbed as the "city of brotherly love" with these *******s. As one of friend of mine put it, "I'd feel safer at a Man U vs. Man City match".

There are *******s everywhere, including at least one from wherever you reside.

ChubZ

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
I'm pretty sure Verizon skipped some key locales during their rollout as well.

It's not about coverage right now, but rather where and when they can get permissions and contracts. They don't just roll into an area and go tossing LTE towers all over the place. It'll happen.

I am apart of the AT&T lte rollout. Lte doesn't have it's own tower. It's incorporated to existing GSM/UMTS sites. Philadelphia wasn't skipped. It just wasn't apart of their initial roll outs. However Philadelphia AT&T sites will soon have lte equipment installed

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
There are *******s everywhere, including at least one from wherever you reside.

Oh don't get pissy because my original comment is true. I've never seen a toddler throw a beer bottle at opposing fans here in Chicago.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
I am apart of the AT&T lte rollout. Lte doesn't have it's own tower. It's incorporated to existing GSM/UMTS sites. Philadelphia wasn't skipped. It just wasn't apart of their initial roll outs. However Philadelphia AT&T sites will soon have lte equipment installed

All the more reason to wonder why it wasn't included in the initial rollout. It's not like there weren't any towers or customers there. It wasn't even announced as one of the upcoming cities.

Last edited:

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Oh don't get pissy because my original comment is true. I've never seen a toddler throw a beer bottle at opposing fans here in Chicago.

If the fans were from Chicago then they got what they deserved.

RevolvingSheep

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
I live in NE Kansas and I get LET coverage in a wide area.

I'm currently out of town in a very small town next to other small town a ways outside of Dallas and Ft. Worth in Texas. I'm getting LTE in many places around here... in these small towns. This is with AT&T which supposedly doesn't have as much coverage as Verizon.

When I do use LTE, I still haven't gotten over the shock of how fast it is.

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
Verizon has LTE here..... :cool:

And it's glorious..... :p

----------

BTW I've been to sporting events in Boston, Chicago and NYC and been hit with beers for showing Philly love....

It happens in places where people can't handle their booze. Period.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
All the more reason to wonder why it wasn't included in the initial rollout. It's not like there weren't any towers or customers there. It wasn't even announced as one of the upcoming cities.
IIRC Philly is a city where AT&T has already deployed HSPA+, which means you shouldn't exactly be hurting while you wait for LTE. At least for AT&T data speeds. Thrown beer bootles are another story. :)

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
Well, no LTE annoucement cost them a potential customer to Verizon (switched from wifi only yesterday). Their loss...

Hopefully suburban coverage gets expanded soon. :) But even at the fringes my speeds are probably on par with what AT&T HSPA+ would be.

And hey, we at least kicked Santorum out in 06. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.