Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:28 PM   #1
DS3
macrumors 6502a

HDMI adapter not working on new iPad?

It says "device not supported" when I plug it in. Huh? Reset and same thing.

I saw someone the other day complaining that the hdmi adapter output was still letterboxed (as obviously it still should be..) so apparently its working for some people.

Anyone else tried it yet? Or have one they can try?
DS3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:31 PM   #2
applefan022
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS3 View Post

I saw someone the other day complaining that the hdmi adapter output was still letterboxed (as obviously it still should be..) so apparently its working for some people.

Mine does that also, but comes on a couple seconds later.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:32 PM   #3
Ratty
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I think there is a new hdmi adapter for the new iPad, check the Apple store.
Ratty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:41 PM   #4
DS3
macrumors 6502a

Ah, it actually did work if I left it in for a while. Though it didn't trip my TVs auto switch so I had to change to the hdmi output.

Well as long as it works no big deal I assume they'll get rid of that message in the next update.
DS3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:03 PM   #5
Dechter
macrumors member

Quote:

I saw this, too, but the output still works on my new iPad with last year's adapter. I got the message about "This is an unsupported accessory" but when you hit OK, the video is still output through the adapter.

I think the 2011 HDMI adapter supports 1024x768 (mirroring) and 720p (video) output only. I believe the 2012 HDMI adapter supports 702p (mirroring) and 1080p (video).

However, I do not have a 2012 HDMI adapter to test. Perhaps someone can confirm.
Dechter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:56 PM   #6
SgtBullmoose
macrumors member

Bought an adapter in January and it gives me that error message, but still outputs to 1080p.
SgtBullmoose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:44 AM   #7
spiderman0616
macrumors 65816

I got my adapter as a birthday gift last summer (appr. August 2011). It works great with my iPhone 4 and worked great with my iPad 2. Now I get the accessory not compatible message with my new iPad.

I have not tried just leaving it plugged in for a little while to see if it kicks on. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow. We are cord cutters, so we sometimes rent movies on iTunes and hook the iPad up to the TV, so it was really disappointing tonight to find out that it didn't work. Ended up watching our rental straight off the iPad propped up on the coffee table!! (No joke--even though it was on a small screen, the picture quality still blew me away on the new iPad.)
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:53 AM   #8
glen e
macrumors 68030

turn everything on except the pad and turn it off - not sleep - off and then start it...it should kick in...
glen e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:16 AM   #9
SLOWBRA
macrumors newbie

Like others have mentioned it should come on after a few seconds despite receiving that message.

I was fortunate that I could exchange my adapter since I bought it only a few days before the iPad 3 release. The new one does not display the warning message. I've yet to test it to see if the output is any different.
SLOWBRA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:07 AM   #10
spiderman0616
macrumors 65816

Just as an update to my specific situation:

I was unable to get the HDMI adapter to work with the new iPad no matter what order I did things in. My wife and I were in Vegas this week and I saw that there was an Apple store at the Forum Shops in Caesar's Palace. I took my adapter in to them and they switched it out no questions asked. I tested the new one out when we got home and it worked flawlessly without even giving me the incompatibility message.

PS: I got the adapter as a birthday gift last summer--they took my word for it without a receipt or even testing out the adapter.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:16 PM   #11
thelead
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman0616 View Post
Just as an update to my specific situation:

I was unable to get the HDMI adapter to work with the new iPad no matter what order I did things in. My wife and I were in Vegas this week and I saw that there was an Apple store at the Forum Shops in Caesar's Palace. I took my adapter in to them and they switched it out no questions asked. I tested the new one out when we got home and it worked flawlessly without even giving me the incompatibility message.

PS: I got the adapter as a birthday gift last summer--they took my word for it without a receipt or even testing out the adapter.
Their in-store customer service is the best I've ever encountered for a retail storefront.
thelead is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories