Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReverendCasey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Ok... So I use an ancient 3GS. I bought it when they first came out. For years I never updated my IOS. Until last month. I now have IOS 5.1 and I hate it! I'm having some problems. I am often on several different forums. But since updating, I get logged out of these sites within an hour of inactivity. It's driving me nuts! I used to stay logged in for days, even weeks. Now It's like the phone automatically clears my cache or something. I feel like I've tried everything possible in the settings but can't seem to fix it. Any thoughts? Am I missing something? I sure hope so. Cause this business is for the birds...

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Ok... So I use an ancient 3GS. I bought it when they first came out. For years I never updated my IOS. Until last month. I now have IOS 5.1 and I hate it! I'm having some problems. I am often on several different forums. But since updating, I get logged out of these sites within an hour of inactivity. It's driving me nuts! I used to stay logged in for days, even weeks. Now It's like the phone automatically clears my cache or something. I feel like I've tried everything possible in the settings but can't seem to fix it. Any thoughts? Am I missing something? I sure hope so. Cause this business is for the birds...

Do you have "private browsing" on? If so, what are your settings for "Cookies" And finally, scroll to the bottom of Safari's setting and tap "Advanced", then "Website data". Is there stuff there or is it blank?

Also, what sites are you referring to? It may have changed on their end and have an auto-logout system in place.

ReverendCasey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Do you have "private browsing" on? If so, what are your settings for "Cookies" And finally, scroll to the bottom of Safari's setting and tap "Advanced", then "Website data". Is there stuff there or is it blank?

Also, what sites are you referring to? It may have changed on their end and have an auto-logout system in place.

Private browsing is set to "on" accepting cookies from visited. In website data there is a list of 10 or so. All (a followed by 3-4 numbers).phobos.apple.com No idea what that is. Last time I looked there it was blank tho

And the main sites I use are gamefaqs.com and thereplicapropforum.com. And oddly enough, I created an account here (to post this specific thread) logged in, wrote out the initial post to this thread, befor I could submit it I had to log in again lol ugh...

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Private browsing is set to "on" accepting cookies from visited. In website data there is a list of 10 or so. All (a followed by 3-4 numbers).phobos.apple.com No idea what that is. Last time I looked there it was blank tho

And the main sites I use are gamefaqs.com and thereplicapropforum.com. And oddly enough, I created an account here (to post this specific thread) logged in, wrote out the initial post to this thread, befor I could submit it I had to log in again lol ugh...

If I'm not mistake, Private browsing means that it won't save any new cookies and will not use any currently installed cookies either. That could be why.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.