Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:10 PM   #51
spacepower7
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliocentric View Post
Yeah I know they probably haven't included 24p output because nothing in the iTunes store is encoded at that and that's fine.

But the problem is that when I play (my own) 24p bluray content on an apple tv it's a bit jumpy and skips the odd frame, but when I play it from a ps3/bluray player it's nice and smooth.

The problem is obviously because it's outputting at a refresh rate that doesn't match the content I am trying to play on it.

Is their a way to convert 24p to 25? That would be ideal for uk users, seeing as the stand refresh rate for tvs here is 50hz...
Maybe you are encoding your Blu-ray at too high a profile? Or too high of a bitrate?

I'm not trying to nitpick but sincerely trying to learn more of your problems, the more knowledge that we gain, the better for all of us.
spacepower7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:43 AM   #52
heliocentric
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepower7 View Post
Maybe you are encoding your Blu-ray at too high a profile? Or too high of a bitrate?

I'm not trying to nitpick but sincerely trying to learn more of your problems, the more knowledge that we gain, the better for all of us.
I'm 100% certain it's because the display refresh doesn't doesn't match the content refresh rate. I know I keep repeating that, but that is the reason.

Before apple added the option to select 50hz on the atv 2 it used to have the same problem because it was outputting my 50hz content at 60hz.

If indeed apple are encoding films at 24p now it seems quite bizarre they wouldn't include the option I output it properly.
heliocentric is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:13 AM   #53
Irishman
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliocentric View Post
I'm 100% certain it's because the display refresh doesn't doesn't match the content refresh rate. I know I keep repeating that, but that is the reason.

Before apple added the option to select 50hz on the atv 2 it used to have the same problem because it was outputting my 50hz content at 60hz.

If indeed apple are encoding films at 24p now it seems quite bizarre they wouldn't include the option I output it properly.
Until we get a sample size of more than one user, I think we have to tentatively call this a glitch, most likely either grue's tv is confused or his ATV is confused.
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:47 AM   #54
heliocentric
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Until we get a sample size of more than one user, I think we have to tentatively call this a glitch, most likely either grue's tv is confused or his ATV is confused.
Just google it, lots of people had the outputting only 60hz in 50hz pal areas for example.
heliocentric is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:13 PM   #55
grue
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepower7 View Post
Are you sure that the aren't 23.98? I have never hear of anything distrubuted at true 24p. Can you use mediaInfonor some of freeware to make sure

Yes it's 23.98 but for the sake of sanity I rounded, like everyone else in the industry. Hell, even 23.98 is rounded.
__________________
Powered by rage and bitterness, the cleanest of all energy.
grue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:25 PM   #56
AdrianK
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepower7 View Post
The blu-ray discs usually have 23,98p not true 24p.
The French Bluray release of Michael Clayton is 24 FPS (not rounded), I haven't come across any other titles that are though.
__________________
Hack Pro Mini Core i3 4130 | GTX 780 | 8GB 1033MHz | 840 EVO 120GB | OS X 10.9.1 / Windows 8 | White Bitfenix Prodigy
AdrianK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:29 PM   #57
roidy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nottingham, UK
The true movie/blu-ray frame rate is actually 24000/1001 which is 23.976024fps. But most people round it and call it either 23.97 or 24, it's all the same.

Just like NTSC video framerate is 30000/1001 which is 29.97003fps, but everyone calls it 30fps. The only video rate which is a true round number is PAL at 25fps.
roidy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:15 AM   #58
heliocentric
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
does 24p content play better on 60hz compared to 50hz?
heliocentric is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:42 AM   #59
roidy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nottingham, UK
As long as your TV does correct 3:2 pull down then yes 24p would look better at 60Hz than at 50Hz.
roidy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:52 PM   #60
heliocentric
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by roidy View Post
As long as your TV does correct 3:2 pull down then yes 24p would look better at 60Hz than at 50Hz.
Maybe that's why I notice more of a problem then?

Due to the fact the apple tv is set to 50hz in the uk...
heliocentric is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:10 PM   #61
steve-p
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliocentric View Post
Maybe that's why I notice more of a problem then?

Due to the fact the apple tv is set to 50hz in the uk...
Have you checked to see if your TV can do both 50Hz and 60Hz? Mine does, and ATV defaulted to 60.
steve-p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:41 PM   #62
heliocentric
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-p View Post
Have you checked to see if your TV can do both 50Hz and 60Hz? Mine does, and ATV defaulted to 60.
yeah it can do 24hz, 50hz and 60hz.

I set the apple tv to 50hz because it has trouble selecting the correct hurts then I set it to automatic.

Such a shame it doesn't to 1080p24...

Maybe one day

P.s why have people voted down some of my posts in this thread? lol I wasn't saying anything controversial was I?
heliocentric is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:50 PM   #63
heliocentric
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
So is it actually possible to convert 24 frames to 25 frames to solve this problem?
heliocentric is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:07 PM   #64
MacinJosh
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliocentric View Post
So is it actually possible to convert 24 frames to 25 frames to solve this problem?
Not convert. You want to conform. Final Cut can do this.
__________________
Mac Pro 5,1 Quad 2.8Ghz - 5770 - 12GB - 120GB SSD - 6TB
iPhone 6+ 64GB Gold
Apple TV3 / iPhone 4S - 16GB / iPhone 4 - 16GB
iPad Mini Retina - 32GB / iPad 3 - 16GB - Black
MacinJosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:18 PM   #65
heliocentric
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
Not convert. You want to conform. Final Cut can do this.
Really?

Shame it's so expensive lol
heliocentric is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 05:25 AM   #66
erpetao
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
I'm a bit disappointed about the lack of 24p in Apple TV. My new Sony Bravia has "24p film mode" and both the mkvs through DLNA and blu rays play beautifully at their original 24fps (23.976fps).

With the Apple TV the best quality I can get is with 60hz (Auto picks this one), and setting in the TV "MotionFLow" to "Clear", and "Film Mode" to Off or Auto 2 (I can't decide which one is best).

I can still see a flow of frames rather than continuous movement on scenes with panning etc. which is annoying.
erpetao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 05:41 AM   #67
khollister
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by erpetao View Post
I can still see a flow of frames rather than continuous movement on scenes with panning etc. which is annoying.
If that is what you want, turn MotionFlow to Smooth and FilmMode to Auto1. That will give you maximum motion smoothing and frame interpolation, aka the Soap Opera Effect. It doesn't look anything like 24fps film cadence, but if you don't want any judder, this will smooth it out completely.
__________________
3.33 GHz 6-core 2010 Mac Pro + 27" ACD
Late 2013 2.3 GHz i7 15" Retina MacBook Pro
iPad 3, iPhone 5C, ATV3
khollister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 05:51 AM   #68
erpetao
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister View Post
If that is what you want, turn MotionFlow to Smooth and FilmMode to Auto1. That will give you maximum motion smoothing and frame interpolation, aka the Soap Opera Effect. It doesn't look anything like 24fps film cadence, but if you don't want any judder, this will smooth it out completely.
I'd like the closest thing to a blu ray or playing an mkv through dlna.

What's the setting for a reverse pulldown to display the content back at 24fps?
erpetao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 07:30 AM   #69
paulisme
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Is there any other media streamer out there that does do 24p? I'm ready to jump ship over the judder issue.
__________________
15" 2.2Ghz i7 MacBook Pro upgraded to 8GB RAM | Apple Thunderbolt Display | 80GB iPod 5.5G black | 32GB iPhone 4 black | 1TB Time Capsule | 64GB iPad Wi-Fi
paulisme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 08:03 AM   #70
erpetao
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulisme View Post
Is there any other media streamer out there that does do 24p? I'm ready to jump ship over the judder issue.
Roku claims to do 24p.
erpetao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:43 AM   #71
paulisme
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by erpetao View Post
Roku claims to do 24p.
But the Roku won't stream media from the local network, correct?
__________________
15" 2.2Ghz i7 MacBook Pro upgraded to 8GB RAM | Apple Thunderbolt Display | 80GB iPod 5.5G black | 32GB iPhone 4 black | 1TB Time Capsule | 64GB iPad Wi-Fi
paulisme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:31 AM   #72
maturola
macrumors 68040
 
maturola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Send a message via AIM to maturola
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulisme View Post
But the Roku won't stream media from the local network, correct?
Sure you can, there are a couple of channels to read NAS and other share drives, you can also use Plex (which is what i personally use).
__________________
Sometime when I am alone I Google myself!!!
13'' Unibody MacBook / Made by , Fix by the Dev Team
LockedUSB Adapter - Charge Only USB Adapter, Firewall & Power Optimizer
maturola is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 12:02 PM   #73
heliocentric
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Has anyone tried this 'conform' idea that has been suggested? Interested to see how it works...
heliocentric is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 03:26 PM   #74
atandon
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Ugh! I hate this judder. Hurts my eyes.
For a minute I was worried that my encodes may be faulty.
But checked the same ones on the ps3 and no issues there. Sigh!
I have given up hope finding a media streaming device that will do 'everything'

I will have to settle on using the apple tv for my music (love itunes match) and the ps3 for videos (and gaming of course)
atandon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 09:27 PM   #75
paulisme
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by atandon View Post
Ugh! I hate this judder. Hurts my eyes.
For a minute I was worried that my encodes may be faulty.
But checked the same ones on the ps3 and no issues there. Sigh!
I have given up hope finding a media streaming device that will do 'everything'

I will have to settle on using the apple tv for my music (love itunes match) and the ps3 for videos (and gaming of course)
I feel exactly the same way. My PS3 plays video perfectly. Unfortunately it sounds like a jet engine, and when my kid's asleep I can't turn the TV volume up loud enough to hear over it.
__________________
15" 2.2Ghz i7 MacBook Pro upgraded to 8GB RAM | Apple Thunderbolt Display | 80GB iPod 5.5G black | 32GB iPhone 4 black | 1TB Time Capsule | 64GB iPad Wi-Fi
paulisme is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
24P Blu-ray content question needing an answer JoeBlow74 Apple TV and Home Theater 7 Apr 5, 2013 04:40 PM
For air play mirroring, is there any difference between ATV 2 vs ATV 3? Whackintosh Apple TV and Home Theater 4 Feb 28, 2013 10:01 PM
how to set to look a movie in 24p? patrick1234 Digital Video 3 Jan 26, 2013 04:07 AM
Will the Hobbit next week be shown in 24p or 48p? waloshin Community Discussion 4 Dec 8, 2012 08:09 PM
Changing FCX Project from 24p to 23.98p? logicpro7 Digital Video 10 Sep 26, 2012 09:29 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC