Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
i upgraded the RAM to 2GB and replaced the CMOS battery not the system is highly unstable locks up all the time Camino and Trillian just close out no reason after being open a few seconds once i try loading a webpage it closes out once i send a IM on trillian IT closes out these programs worked fine yesterday

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
i upgraded the RAM to 2GB and replaced the CMOS battery not the system is highly unstable locks up all the time Camino and Trillian just close out no reason after being open a few seconds once i try loading a webpage it closes out once i send a IM on trillian IT closes out these programs worked fine yesterday

First of all what kind of specs does your emac have and what version of os x are you running on it. As far as I know, Emacs in general could only take a maximum of 1gb of RAM, i.e 2x 512mb memory modules. I see you using 2gb, so this may be the cause of the issues you are experiencing.

pistooli

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
Hungary
1GHz was produced in both usb 2 and 1 versions. I tend to believe that 1GHz usb2 was the education version. I could be wrong though.

Xandros

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010

Had a similar problem with a PowerBook G4 that I got a few years back, kept kernel panicking and crashing. Turned out the cheap, nondescript RAM that came with it was just pure crap. I swapped it for some quality Apple-spec modules I got from Crucial and it's never had problems since.

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Had a similar problem with a PowerBook G4 that I got a few years back, kept kernel panicking and crashing. Turned out the cheap, nondescript RAM that came with it was just pure crap. I swapped it for some quality Apple-spec modules I got from Crucial and it's never had problems since.

i used a stick of 1GB KOMPUTERBAY DDR PC2700 RAM as the added stick for 2GB strangly i has my 1GB Stick in the top RAM slot and the original 256MB in the bottom slot when i took out the original RAM and put in my new 1GB i got a KP like i never seen before after that it wouldnt boot at all so to test the ram u pulled the 1GB stick i already had in there and used only the stick i bought it booted fine some reason when useing both 1GB sticks the KOMPUTERBAY RAM will only work in the top slot when used with my unknown 1GB stick.

upon the RAM i also bought a new CMOS battery and installed it it is a Saft 1/2 AA 3.6V Lithium battery a restart took care of my problem with Camino and Trillian how ever it WILL NOT take care of the same problem with MacTubes i have found i can watch YouTube Videos online just fine in 280p quality that will not serfice the computers unstability i had when i put the RAM and battery in yesterday seems to have been cured by a shut down but now today i have this problem of programs shutting out no reason i also see no preformance boost from 1.25GB RAM to 2GB

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
1GHz was produced in both usb 2 and 1 versions. I tend to believe that 1GHz usb2 was the education version. I could be wrong though.

yes the 1GHz USB 2.0 eMac is education only i bought it from a school

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Make sure what model you have. The USB 2.0 models started at 1.25, not 1.0.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/emac/faq/emac-how-to-upgrade-ram-processor.html

There were two versions of the 1 Ghz eMac, as others have said.

Just to clear things up on the differences:

The original, 2003 version, had a Radeon 7500 video card and USB 1.1. It can take a max of 1gb of PC133 ram (2x512mb).

In 2004 they released an upgraded version featuring a Radeon 9200 video card and USB 2.0, which can take a max of 2gb of PC2700 ram (2x1gb)

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
There were two versions of the 1 Ghz eMac, as others have said.

Just to clear things up on the differences:

The original, 2003 version, had a Radeon 7500 video card and USB 1.1. It can take a max of 1gb of PC133 ram (2x512mb).

In 2004 they released an upgraded version featuring a Radeon 9200 video card and USB 2.0, which can take a max of 2gb of PC2700 ram (2x1gb)

the 2004 model DOES NOT take 2GB stablely as mentioned stability drops to about 30% with 2gb and 85% on 1.5gb ram and 100% stability on 1.25gb or less

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
the 2004 model DOES NOT take 2GB stablely as mentioned stability drops to about 30% with 2gb and 85% on 1.5gb ram and 100% stability on 1.25gb or less

My 2004 1.25Ghz eMac is running just fine with 2Gb of PC2700 ram. Haven't had a crash in almost 2 years of constant uptime and recent over clocking to 1.50Ghz.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
i used a stick of 1GB KOMPUTERBAY DDR PC2700 RAM as the added stick for 2GB strangly i has my 1GB Stick in the top RAM slot and the original 256MB in the bottom slot when i took out the original RAM and put in my new 1GB i got a KP like i never seen before after that it wouldnt boot at all so to test the ram u pulled the 1GB stick i already had in there and used only the stick i bought it booted fine some reason when useing both 1GB sticks the KOMPUTERBAY RAM will only work in the top slot when used with my unknown 1GB stick.

upon the RAM i also bought a new CMOS battery and installed it it is a Saft 1/2 AA 3.6V Lithium battery a restart took care of my problem with Camino and Trillian how ever it WILL NOT take care of the same problem with MacTubes i have found i can watch YouTube Videos online just fine in 280p quality that will not serfice the computers unstability i had when i put the RAM and battery in yesterday seems to have been cured by a shut down but now today i have this problem of programs shutting out no reason i also see no preformance boost from 1.25GB RAM to 2GB

I can't read this. Please use punctuation.

sk8er123

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
Battery

Just a thought...
You said you replaced the battery. Make sure the time and date is correct. Sometimes causes applications to go crazy.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago

Other's haven't had that problem, including OWC, who was the first to claim that model can run 2gb. Either you don't have the upgraded 1ghz model, your logic board has a bad ram slot, or a stick of ram is bad. It's one of the 3. The upgraded model did run 2gb of ram without problems.

The simplest way to tell which model you have is to open up System Profiler and look at your video card. If it's a Radeon 7500 you have the first version 1ghz eMac. If it's a Radeon 9200 you have the second version 1ghz that takes 2gb of ram. Or look at what kind of ram you have, they do not use the same ram. PC133 or PC2700. Is your original stick of 256mb also PC2700, same as the Komputerbay 1gb stick? I've never tried jamming a PC133 or PC2700 into the other's slot to know if it would fit. Mixing two hugely different speeds of ram would likely cause kernel panics and instability.

However, if you read reviews of Komputerbay ram, there are many, many negative reviews saying the ram failed.

Last edited:

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Other's haven't had that problem, including OWC, who was the first to claim that model can run 2gb. Either you don't have the upgraded 1ghz model, your logic board has a bad ram slot, or a stick of ram is bad. It's one of the 3. The upgraded model did run 2gb of ram without problems.

The simplest way to tell which model you have is to open up System Profiler and look at your video card. If it's a Radeon 7500 you have the first version 1ghz eMac. If it's a Radeon 9200 you have the second version 1ghz that takes 2gb of ram. Or look at what kind of ram you have, they do not use the same ram. PC133 or PC2700. Is your original stick of 256mb also PC2700, same as the Komputerbay 1gb stick? I've never tried jamming a PC133 or PC2700 into the other's slot to know if it would fit. Mixing two hugely different speeds of ram would likely cause kernel panics and instability.

However, if you read reviews of Komputerbay ram, there are many, many negative reviews saying the ram failed.

in the history i have ever used computers i have NEVER once EVER heard of RAM being or going bad it is the 2004 eMac 1GHz it had 256MB DDR333 (PC2700) RAM in it i installed a unlabeled unknown brand of 1GB DDR PC2700 RAM and bought the KOMPUTERBAY RAM as mentioned RAM works fine together it is unstable as mentioned even at 1.5GB RAM its unstable as mentioned also due to the instability of 1.5GB RAM i can no longer use Thunderbird as it opens the cursor pinwheels and it closes out if i load more than 2 videos in MacTubes without restarting it it too will Pinwheel and close out

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
in the history i have ever used computers i have NEVER once EVER heard of RAM being or going bad

Then you must have hardly used computers. RAM can go bad at almost anytime. Even right out of the manufacturer's factory, it can be bad.

You've honestly never heard of bad ram? Surely you're lying or you just never do much with computers. Your problems do sound like a bad stick. Run some tests to pinpoint the exact bad stick.

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Then you must have hardly used computers. RAM can go bad at almost anytime. Even right out of the manufacturer's factory, it can be bad.

You've honestly never heard of bad ram? Surely you're lying or you just never do much with computers. Your problems do sound like a bad stick. Run some tests to pinpoint the exact bad stick.

the Komputerbay Stick works fine in the eMac by itself no problems at all i use, fix and build computers all he time i have used compuers on a daily basis since 2000 and have been servicing them since 2003 and building them since 2005 and have not yet ever come across any bad/failed RAM nor have i ever had it happen or ever heard of any cases of it pretty much every computer ive used owed or serviced the Computer will outlive the Hard Drive sometimes Outlive 2 or 3 Hard Drives. i have had to replace the hard drive in every computer i ever owned at least once because it failed and if it didnt fail i replaced it for a bigger drive.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
the Komputerbay Stick works fine in the eMac by itself no problems at all i use, fix and build computers all he time i have used compuers on a daily basis since 2000 and have been servicing them since 2003 and building them since 2005 and have not yet ever come across any bad/failed RAM nor have i ever had it happen or ever heard of any cases of it pretty much every computer ive used owed or serviced the Computer will outlive the Hard Drive sometimes Outlive 2 or 3 Hard Drives. i have had to replace the hard drive in every computer i ever owned at least once because it failed and if it didnt fail i replaced it for a bigger drive.

Yes, hard drives die. But ram also goes bad. The fact that you can move your 1gb stick from one slot to another and it cures the problem means one of two things, either the other stick is bad or the other slot on the logic board is bad.

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Yes, hard drives die. But ram also goes bad. The fact that you can move your 1gb stick from one slot to another and it cures the problem means one of two things, either the other stick is bad or the other slot on the logic board is bad.

from testing both slots are fine as i have tried the KOMPUTERBAY RAM in each slot by itself it only needs to be in slot 1 if i have the OTHER 1GB stick installed testing the KOMPUTERBAY RAM in my Pentium 4 Linux box (trying to Hackintosh it) it also worked fine with no problem at all i just put 2GB RAM in my eMac again so far seems stable atleast for now but 2GB RAM does prevent Leopard from installing and prevents Tiger from Updating.

----------

on an unrelated note how do i put a signature on the bottom of my posts?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
RAM can be mostly got and have one bad chip on the stick. This can lead the RAM into looking like good RAM until the system uses that chip and then crashes. You need to run a good RAM testing utility on the sticks. Do this, http://www.command-tab.com/2008/01/11/how-to-test-ram-under-mac-os-x/, it's the link I use to check and identify faulty RAM on my Macs.

This link is for the signatures: https://forums.macrumors.com/profile.php?do=editsignature

does this work on PowerPC Macs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.