Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diegodora

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2011
I received this in the mail yesterday and installed it last night. I'm really loving the design of it. It looks like it has Gold scratches or slashes everywhere.

IMG_4460.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_4459.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
It's nice but definitely too small, assuming it was a iPad 2 skin? This is why I'm hesitant getting iPad 2 accessories they are smaller to the new iPad.

diegodora

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2011
It's nice but definitely too small, assuming it was a iPad 2 skin? This is why I'm hesitant getting iPad 2 accessories they are smaller to the new iPad.

No, it's definitely an iPad 3 skin! They got shipments out for preorders the day after the new ipad was released. You can tell by the cutout for the camera hole... the camera is bigger on the iPad 3. If this was an ipad 2 skin then part of the camera would be covered. The edge is exposed on purpose and this is the design that I find the most aesthetically pleasing. I think it's nice to see a bit of the "apple" silver exposed. I purchased a silver apple logo on purpose to accentuate that. They also sell skins for the iPad 3 that extend all the way to the edge (no silver is exposed) for those that prefer it that way.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Yeah, that's an iPad 3rd gen skin. It's supposed to look like that. Thanks for the pics OP, I dig it.

dsquared81

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Orange County
That looks great! Question - does the skin go all of the way underneath the magnetic side of the smart cover? If so, does it affect the strength of the magnet?

diegodora

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2011
That looks great! Question - does the skin go all of the way underneath the magnetic side of the smart cover? If so, does it affect the strength of the magnet?

The smart cover hinge doesn't come in contact with the skin so the magnetic functionality isn't affected at all.

----------

nice, where did you order it from?

**********.net

I used the discount code "bestskins" on the last page of the checkout process for 5% off my order. Not much... but I bought 4 skins so it saved me a few bucks. :)

Emoo

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Texas
I bought a smart cover and made a sleeve as sort of a stop gap til I could find a /proper/ case, but I love how it's working and just need a rear shell/sticker.

Only question: HOW did you get that on so flawlessly? :eek:

diegodora

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2011
I bought a smart cover and made a sleeve as sort of a stop gap til I could find a /proper/ case, but I love how it's working and just need a rear shell/sticker.

Only question: HOW did you get that on so flawlessly? :eek:

Believe it or not... the entire installation took me only 3 minutes! However, this was my 3rd or 4th time I've installed them over the past year. I previously bought them for my iPad 2. There's great installation videos on their website.

The trick is to remove the 3M backing and put it back on and cover everything except the portion from the camera hole down to the edge of the speaker cutout. This way you can easily line up the camera hole first then line up the speaker cutout. After this is done you just remove the rest of the backing and wham! everything is lined up perfectly. Push and seal down everywhere except the corners. You need to use a hair dryer to heat the corners for a couple of seconds before pushing them down. The skin is self healing so you can always heat and relift if you need to. Also, they say there is some sort of channel system on the back of the skin and it prevents air bubbles from forming while you're installing.

diegodora

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2011
Did you get the silver apple logo at the same place....

Thanks

Yes, you can get the apple logo in the color of the skin or any other color they offer. I always add that in the special instructions box during checkout.

rwings01

Suspended
Aug 17, 2010
YELLOW TINT IPHONE 12 PANELS
Yes, you can get the apple logo in the color of the skin or any other color they offer. I always add that in the special instructions box during checkout.

Thanks

----------

Did you have to specify that I will use a smart cover with the skin in the special instructions also? I want the same coverage as yours, not the one that covers the whole back. I will be using a smart cover.

Tks

Last edited:

diegodora

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2011
Thanks

----------

Did you have to specify that I will useva smart cover with the skin in the special instructions also? I want the same coverage as yours, not the one that covers the whole back. I will be using a smart cover.

Tks

The style skin in the picture I posted is Type 2 (for LTE). Type 1 is the same but for WIFI only. EXTREME FIT is the model that goes all the way to the edge.

----------

Which skin is this? I don't think I see it...

It's not actually on their site yet. I think I originally saw it advertised either on their twitter or Facebook. I just ordered a different metallic skin then in the "special instructions" box during checkout I said I wanted the new design with the Gold slashes/scratches and it arrived with the rest of my order. They'll probably be adding it to their site soon.

----------

Did you order any carbon fiber skins? how are they?

Last year I ordered one of their carbon fibers for my iPad 2 and I really liked it. Personally, I prefer the metallic look but I know a lot of people are into carbon fiber. I tried skins from 3 different companies when I bought my iPad 2 and I thought these guys were the best quality. Also, I'm in California and their shipping from the east coast always gets to my house in two days. I don't know how they do it because priority mail usually takes 3-5 days from east coast.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Looks great, thanks for posting!

I ordered my iPad 2 skins from them last year - I had to have the iPad replaced last summer so I was glad I had a second skin ready to go! I went with brushed aluminum the first time, and that's what I'm doing this time around, too - it matches the color of the iPad so it looks naked unless you examine it closely, but it also adds some (much needed) grip so you can hold the iPad more securely. Last year I bought the brushed aluminum and also this one, graphite brushed. I like the contrast with the aluminum Apple logo ... :)

Attachments

• image-2.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 1,039

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010

I ordered my iPad 2 skins from them last year - I had to have the iPad replaced last summer so I was glad I had a second skin ready to go! I went with brushed aluminum the first time, and that's what I'm doing this time around, too - it matches the color of the iPad so it looks naked unless you examine it closely, but it also adds some (much needed) grip so you can hold the iPad more securely. Last year I bought the brushed aluminum and also this one, graphite brushed. I like the contrast with the aluminum Apple logo ... :)
That thing is sweet so where did you purchase from?

diegodora

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2011
That thing is sweet so where did you purchase from?

Same place as me: **********.net

Discount code for 5% off: bestskins

----------

We have the same tastes. I also ordered the silver brushed aluminum and the black graphite brushed! What do you think of the dark rose gold? I got that one too. They had a buy one get one free sale but it ended last week. I plan on changing my skin every couple of months or so.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
^Appreciate it thanks, man I just wish it covered a bit more of the back frame for a bit more more scratch protection. :mad:

diegodora

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2011
^Appreciate it thanks, man I just wish it covered a bit more of the back frame for a bit more more scratch protection. :mad:

Check their website. They make a skin called "extreme fit" which extends all the way to the very edge. I've never purchased one of those because it's not my taste but I read they are more difficult to install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.