Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:27 PM   #1
Joario
macrumors newbie

Onyx for Mountain Lion

New version of onYx for Mountain Lion, cleans the caches and much more, renders Mountain Lion more fluid and incredibly faster.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/download...661c52a5f8bff1
Joario is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:05 PM   #2
calsci
macrumors 6502

Thanks man

I was looking for this.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:54 AM   #3
ekdor

Thanks.

Last edited by dejo; Aug 15, 2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: restored post.
ekdor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:00 AM   #4
Macman45
macrumors G5

Remember all, this is a BETA version. I like Onyx, but previous BETA's have been known to cause issue so use it with caution...It's marked clearly in the link as BETA too. I'm going to wait a couple of weeks and run scripts via terminal for now...It probably won't be long before an official GM is released.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:01 AM   #5
Rainier42
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joario View Post
New version of onYx for Mountain Lion, cleans the caches and much more, renders Mountain Lion more fluid and incredibly faster.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/download...661c52a5f8bff1
What functions in Onyx do you typically execute in Onyx to improve performance?
Rainier42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:01 AM   #6
Dragoro
macrumors 6502

Its still a beta version. You guys really think its safe to use as a beta version on something that can potentially create major problems on your computer? (Serious question, no sarcasm intended)
Dragoro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:02 AM   #7
AdeFowler
macrumors 68020

Always good to have around. Thanks.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:06 AM   #8
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Its still a beta version. You guys really think its safe to use as a beta version on something that can potentially create major problems on your computer? (Serious question, no sarcasm intended)
As i posted before, BETA versions of low level utilities should be used with caution...The Lion BETA screwed up permissions so use it with care, or wait until the finished version is released.

I use it to run scripts and to clear my audio cache from time to time...Nothing I can't do in terminal and the verification of disks etc. can be done using DU anyway.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:05 AM   #9
fisherking
macrumors 68030

beta works fine here (so far).

funny, EVERYTHING is really a beta. 10.8 is the beta for 10.8.1. etc. etc...
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:25 PM   #10
z06gal
macrumors 6502

I installed and ran Onyx last night. My boot time went from 45 secs to 10. I am way impressed what it does
z06gal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:48 PM   #11

It's NO LONGER a beta version...2.6.0 is a stable release.
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:09 PM   #12
Zmijutin
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06gal View Post
I installed and ran Onyx last night. My boot time went from 45 secs to 10. I am way impressed what it does
Are you using SSD? Have you upgraded or clean installed Mountain Lion?
Zmijutin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:38 PM   #13
jomirrivera
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmijutin View Post
10 seconds is impossible with a HDD!
jomirrivera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:41 PM   #14
bogatyr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomirrivera View Post
10 seconds is impossible with a HDD!
45 seconds also seems impossible on an SSD though.
bogatyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:42 PM   #15
z06gal
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Upgrade. I just bought this MBP last week and upgraded. It is the fastest boot I've ever had on any computer. A part of it may be that I haven't added programs, etc. I wanted to get it upgraded and learn ML before adding alot of stuff. My linux machines have always booted fast but not this fast

Last edited by z06gal; Jul 31, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:55 PM   #16
SR45
Banned

Quote:
I tried it out as well. My boot time went from about the same 45 seconds, down to about 45 seconds..... No difference HDD however....
SR45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:43 PM   #17
z06gal
macrumors 6502

I have rebooted twice with the same results so we'll see if it continues
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:58 PM   #18
Watabou
macrumors 68030

I may be missing something but why do people use Onyx anyways? It does stuff that OS X already takes care of.

I can verify and repair disk permissions with the Terminal/Disk Utility, I can manage my own browser history/caches/cookies etc, OS X runs the daily/weekly/monthly scripts on its own and if I really want I can remove the temporary items/system caches and whatever and I can rebuild Spotlight's index.

I really don't see the need to install Onyx. I don't know why people have been saying it makes OS X more fluid since clearing all the caches actually slows the system down as it needs to rebuild everything again. This certainly won't speed up the login time despite what one guy says. And maintenance apps might do more harm than good.

OS X is not Windows. It doesn't need maintenance. Don't worry about it and just use it.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 01:06 AM   #19
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watabou View Post
I may be missing something but why do people use Onyx anyways? It does stuff that OS X already takes care of.

I can verify and repair disk permissions with the Terminal/Disk Utility, I can manage my own browser history/caches/cookies etc, OS X runs the daily/weekly/monthly scripts on its own and if I really want I can remove the temporary items/system caches and whatever and I can rebuild Spotlight's index.

I really don't see the need to install Onyx. I don't know why people have been saying it makes OS X more fluid since clearing all the caches actually slows the system down as it needs to rebuild everything again. This certainly won't speed up the login time despite what one guy says. And maintenance apps might do more harm than good.

OS X is not Windows. It doesn't need maintenance. Don't worry about it and just use it.

Agreed! Look at this advice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcu5H3ZfyqQ&feature=plcp
Old Aug 1, 2012, 04:15 PM   #20
Zmijutin
macrumors member

Quote:
Upgrade. I just bought this MBP last week and upgraded. It is the fastest boot I've ever had on any computer. A part of it may be that I haven't added programs, etc. I wanted to get it upgraded and learn ML before adding alot of stuff. My linux machines have always booted fast but not this fast

Kinda hard to believe to have 10 second boot with HDD or to have 40 seconds boot with SSD

Personally I do not see any boost of performance with onyx. But it maybe works for someone!
Zmijutin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2012, 05:00 PM   #21
fisherking
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watabou View Post

you're sort-of answering your own question. onyx is just a one-stop place to do ALL of these things, AND customize a lot of settings (for example, i used it to change screenshots to jpegs). i've used onyx forever, and find it well worth using.

whatever works...
Old Aug 1, 2012, 05:22 PM   #22
z06gal
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Kinda hard to believe to have 10 second boot with HDD or to have 40 seconds boot with SSD

Personally I do not see any boost of performance with onyx. But it maybe works for someone!

13 seconds to boot up this morning. Running Onyx is the only thing I have done so that has to be why it is booting faster
Old Aug 1, 2012, 05:28 PM   #23
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
13 seconds to boot up this morning. Running Onyx is the only thing I have done so that has to be why it is booting faster
A reasonable hypothesis but hardly conclusive.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 06:19 PM   #24
Feed Me
Banned

I ran Onyx and my MacBook turned into a winged polar bear which boots in 5 seconds. Highly recommended, would install again.
Feed Me is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2012, 06:28 PM   #25
SR45
Banned

Quote:

Didn't work for me. Boot time prior to, was about 40/45 seconds. With onyx it was the same. Using a Hdd on the MacMini. Removed the program and not waste my time with it.
SR45 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion