Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Shocked2012
macrumors newbie

Hard drive serious failure in just over year old imac HELP,,

Bought my imac 27" in late December 2010. Ran disk utility for a routine check this weekend and the panel on the left showed 1tb in red and the message said should contact a technicia as my hard drive had a serious problem. The technician came today and said there is an electrical issue with my hard drive meaning the electricity does not reach the the hard drive correctly so need a new drive. He told us that this is quite normal in imac but not untilvafter 4 or 5 years. Has anyone heard of this issue and in particular after just little over a year of purchase.?*
Shocked2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:38 AM   #2
Steve.P.JobsFan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocked2012 View Post
Bought my imac 27" in late December 2010. Ran disk utility for a routine check this weekend and the panel on the left showed 1tb in red and the message said should contact a technicia as my hard drive had a serious problem. The technician came today and said there is an electrical issue with my hard drive meaning the electricity does not reach the the hard drive correctly so need a new drive. He told us that this is quite normal in imac but not untilvafter 4 or 5 years. Has anyone heard of this issue and in particular after just little over a year of purchase.?*
Apple issued a recall on 1TB drives in iMacs. Enter your serial number on this page. If you are in the recall, they will replace it free of charge.

Apple - Support - iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program
Apple TV | 3rd Generation
Steve.P.JobsFan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:43 AM   #3
GyroFX
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to GyroFX Send a message via Yahoo to GyroFX
The OP said he bought his Mac in 2010. The Apple Seagate replacement only applies to 2011 iMacs, fyi
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:36 AM   #4
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocked2012 View Post
1. I hope you have a backup of your hard drive. If not, _run_ to the nearest store, buy an external USB hard drive of sufficient size, attach it to your Mac, and use Time Machine to get a backup.

2. Any hard drive _will_ fail eventually. 16 months is a bit early. For advice who will pay for the hard drive replacement you should first post _where_ you are because it depends on the country.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:58 AM   #5
Steve.P.JobsFan
macrumors 6502a

I know it was for the '11 models. Doesn't hurt to check, since he has the 1TB drive. Do an immediate Time Machine backup, and call Apple at +1-800-SOS-APPL (+1-800-767-2775) and ask to speak with a supervisor or a senior advisor. I spoke with a supervisor named Ty the other day, he's very friendly. If you want his number and extension, I can give it to you.
Apple TV | 3rd Generation
Steve.P.JobsFan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2012, 03:47 PM   #6
alksion
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to alksion
Mine started going bad after two years. HDD's are subject to failure and often, very random at times.

I can't wait till SSD's become cheaper and start living up to their name of "reliability"
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:31 AM   #7
Melkorr
macrumors member

The apple SSD drive failed this weekend on my '11 imac. Got it in June and it didn't even last one year. Pretty poor reliability, all my other HDDs have lasted at least 4 years.
Should get it back by Wednesday from the apple store.
Melkorr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:51 AM   #8
leman
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkorr View Post
The apple SSD drive failed this weekend on my '11 imac. Got it in June and it didn't even last one year. Pretty poor reliability, all my other HDDs have lasted at least 4 years.
Should get it back by Wednesday from the apple store.
That is what people call "bad luck". A fraction of hard drive will fail in the first year, you were just unlucky that your drive belonged to that fraction. I have an SSD which works great for over 2 years and I have had HDDs which died after two weeks.
leman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2012, 08:12 PM   #9
jaheidi05
macrumors newbie

Rebuttal

So here's where it becomes not bad luck.

Bought 27" Imac in Sept 2010 (i3, 1TB Seagate). Hard drive fails in March 2011. Still under warranty and so I take it to Apple store for a replacement. They replace the hard drive for free. I lose all my data, but that's my fault not theirs , since I didn't back it up.

Flash forward to now (as I'm typing). Two days of persistent hard drive volume errors, repaired with Disk Utility using the OS disk. Issue is still persisting and likely to get worse. The current symptom is that the Mac will freeze instead of sleeping and become unresponsive when reactivated. I'm forced to restart, manually, each time.

Of course I didn't buy AppleCare because what are the odds a replacement hard drive would fail as well, right? Luckily, I backed up all of my data this time, so it's more expensive and annoying than devastating (like the last failure).

Speculate all you want with the actual defect numbers but this is a design flaw pure and simple. Two hard drives fail in exactly the same way, in the same machine, extrapolate those odds. Stop letting Apple off the hook.
jaheidi05 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 01:06 AM   #10
iMacC2D
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaheidi05 View Post
Of course I didn't buy AppleCare because what are the odds a replacement hard drive would fail as well, right?
High.

Hard Drives are made up of several components that have very tight tolerances and yet perform to quite high stress specifications. The head flies above the disc at a gap that is mere millionths of an inch, and yet the platter needs to spin at 7,200 revolutions per minute. Preamps and drive electronics need to read and process the bits from those platters.

If any one of those becomes even slightly out of spec, the drive malfunctions. It's not unheard of to have a drive fail again following replacement. It's unfortunate, but not uncommon.

Quote:
Speculate all you want with the actual defect numbers but this is a design flaw pure and simple. Two hard drives fail in exactly the same way, in the same machine, extrapolate those odds. Stop letting Apple off the hook.
I'm letting Apple off the hook, because anyone with a knowledge of hard disk drives knows that this is not isolated to any single company. I had two Seagate Barracuda 1TB hard disk drives fail at once, connected to two different machines via USB. Neither of these were installed inside an Apple Mac.

Now Apple, as the product vendor and OEM, supports and takes responsibility for the product they sell and the parts supplied to them by the manufacturer and supplier, but to suggest that this is a design defect on the basis that two drives have failed when there's a considerable amount of evidence to the contrary in the form of hard drives failing in a number of machines, regardless of make, model and brand is incorrect. Drive failures occur in any machine.

Finally, as I service these machines, other than the 2011 iMac Seagate 1TB Recall we had in the middle of last year hard drive replacements for these machines don't seem to be out of the ordinary compared to the standard 3.5-inch drive failure rates.

Last edited by iMacC2D; Apr 3, 2012 at 08:20 PM.
iMacC2D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 01:51 AM   #11
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Of course I didn't buy AppleCare because what are the odds a replacement hard drive would fail as well, right? Luckily, I backed up all of my data this time, so it's more expensive and annoying than devastating (like the last failure).

If it was a design flaw then this would happen to every user, or most users. But if you think there is something wrong with your iMac making it it destroyer of disk drives, then the logical step would be to buy AppleCare after the first fault.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 07:01 AM   #12
senseless
macrumors 65816

The IMacs run very hot, which does not help hard drive life. The issue though is not the failure, but the expense and inconvenience of replacement. It's design over practicality.
senseless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 09:37 AM   #13
lexvo
macrumors 6502a

I have the impression that HDD's fail more nowadays than they used to. In all my previous PC's the HDD never failed and I owned these for 6-7 years each. But maybe I just have been very lucky

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac