Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
I am currently using a smart cover and that's all .... I do not have any kind of rear shell protection from scratches etc. when laying it down on certain surfaces with the smart cover closed.

I am not a fan anything that takes away from the look of the back and the feel of it's thinness like certain cases that snap on the back and add more to it.

I would like to find like exactly what I have for my iPhone 4S ... a clear protector that goes on the front and one on the back. (I use PS for the front but they don't have anything for the back)

I was looking at this back body film from Bestskinsever.com and this is basically exactly what I am looking for.

http://www.bestskinsever.com/the-new-ipad-3-skin

Are these skins any good or is there another brand better?

I normally don't buy anything other then power support for screen / back protectors but they do not currently sell a film for the back just one for the front.

Thanks so much for the help guys.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I would just get somebody at a mall kiosk to do it. That way you don't have to worry about messing it up, and often they have life time guarantees.

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
Yes they are good. I've used them on a lot of my devices. Water based application though.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
BSE is good, I've used them for years. Had one on my ipad2 and it lasted well.

Applying the back isn't rocket science, don't pay double for someone else to do it.

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Yes they are good. I've used them on a lot of my devices. Water based application though.

The bestskinever is water based?

I dont want to use anything water based at all. Thats why I always use Power Support for my protectors but they don;t make one for the back.

Is there any other option out there thats good but not is a water based application?

Los

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
I think most back protectors are going to be water based on the back of the iPad, specially if it's going to be a clear one. There are some skins out there, like carbon fiber skins if you'd like.

Anyways, I bought the SGP/Spigen Ultracoat back and front screen protector for the new iPad, I'll let you know how it is when I install it.

I bought one for my iPad 2, and I love it. The only issue was that since it was my first time installing it, I wasn't prepared for how much of the solution would really leak when you had to air out the bubbles, and it was too much for my liking, but everything went fine. :)

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
i use that one from invishield(?), but i used the one from my iPad 2.
it doesnt have to have a perfect fit, cause i know like 2-3months down the road, the shield would look all so colored up and dirty. (ya, they do..)

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
Water based application is not too bad. But I was quite nervous when I first put them on. Pretty much a pro now since I've used them on many devices going back to the original iPhone.

For me the key is to put your device on a towel and then use the towel to soak up the excess water when your squeegeeing out the bubbles. Ie., the towel basically catches the water at the edges of your device.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I am currently using a smart cover and that's all .... I do not have any kind of rear shell protection from scratches etc. when laying it down on certain surfaces with the smart cover closed.

I am not a fan anything that takes away from the look of the back and the feel of it's thinness like certain cases that snap on the back and add more to it.

I would like to find like exactly what I have for my iPhone 4S ... a clear protector that goes on the front and one on the back. (I use PS for the front but they don't have anything for the back)

I was looking at this back body film from Bestskinsever.com and this is basically exactly what I am looking for.

http://www.bestskinsever.com/the-new-ipad-3-skin

Are these skins any good or is there another brand better?

I normally don't buy anything other then power support for screen / back protectors but they do not currently sell a film for the back just one for the front.

Thanks so much for the help guys.

Not yet available in the UK, but you might have better luck Stateside...The Griffin Reveal clear shell is what I used on my 2...Perfect fit, not a scratch on it, went to a buddy who's an MR member and he can vouch for it. Nor over expensive...Think I paid around £20.00 here so probably about $20 if you can find one on Amazon. Belkin have them also, but I'm not a big fan of their stuff.

ipodinhtown

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
Skinomi Dry Tech skins = dry install

The bestskinever is water based?

I dont want to use anything water based at all. Thats why I always use Power Support for my protectors but they don;t make one for the back.

Is there any other option out there thats good but not is a water based application?

I'm with you exactly. Most everyone says the water based installations are safe, and they probably are, but I would prefer to avoid a water based install if at all possible.

I did a little searching, and I can not vouch for the clarity of the skin or the quality of protection, but it looks like Skinomi has a "Dry Tech" version that is a dry install.

http://www.skinomi.com/newipvwi.html

On the above web page, be sure to select the Dry Tech ones.

Again, I can't vouch for them, but I'm very curious about them.

If anyone has used these, any input would be greatly appreciated.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I think most back protectors are going to be water based on the back of the iPad, specially if it's going to be a clear one.

Yep. Anytime you're dealing with a curved surface, and especially if the protector is clear, the material is likely going to be a water based application.

I understand people may be nervous, but it's really not a big deal. You have Best Buy employees and mall kiosks putting these things on; it's clearly not rocket science.

The BestSkinsEver.com I put on last night is in good shape; the cut is good and it fits well. $17 for the back beats Zagg's pricing by a wide margin. :) (BTW, I still don't recommend this material for the screen. Great for a surface without a screen behind it)

mickeysworld

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
I vote for BSE.

I was always leary of wet installs but decided I wanted to give it a go this time around and I'm glad I did. It was not hard to install at all and this is coming from someone who always uses PS products because I was afraid of the water installs. I actually think it was kind of easier than my typical PS install because with the water solution it is much easier to line things up. I think it came out great, it doesn't add extra bulk and I can now worry a little less when my kids put the iPad down. Good luck with your decision!

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 219
  • Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 190
  • Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 234
  • Image 3.jpg
    Image 3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 229

sjenkins49

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I vote for BSE.

I was always leary of wet installs but decided I wanted to give it a go this time around and I'm glad I did. It was not hard to install at all and this is coming from someone who always uses PS products because I was afraid of the water installs. I actually think it was kind of easier than my typical PS install because with the water solution it is much easier to line things up. I think it came out great, it doesn't add extra bulk and I can now worry a little less when my kids put the iPad down. Good luck with your decision!

Thank you so much for the pictures. I just received my new skin from BSE and noticed the corners are different from the BSE skin I purchased and installed on my iPad 2. I really liked how the old corners looked but now that I see them on your 3rd Ger iPad I like them.

You did a great job on the install.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
The new corners look better. I noticed on the iPad 2 install that the skin was a bit too big or got stretched a bit during the install. It makes the edges come up if it is too big. How is the fitment close to the edge on the new iPad skin. Should I be worried about having it be slightly to big.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Not yet available in the UK, but you might have better luck Stateside...The Griffin Reveal clear shell is what I used on my 2...Perfect fit, not a scratch on it, went to a buddy who's an MR member and he can vouch for it. Nor over expensive...Think I paid around £20.00 here so probably about $20 if you can find one on Amazon. Belkin have them also, but I'm not a big fan of their stuff.

Really?? I have always loved Belkin's stuff, namely the Snap Shield for my iPad and the Grip Vue for my iPhone. It's well made, looks nice, and keeps the slim profile.

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL
Put mine on tonight, it's now curing. Went on easy.

Ditto. Simple fit. Easier to put on than the iPad 2 version that I had. Especially in the corners.

I live the BSE skins except they seem to turn yellow in 6-8 months. Still, I wouldn't pay the double $ Zagg demands. Tough I do like the new Zagg HD screen covers. But again they want too much money for just a screen cover.

TxMacAddict

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
I vote for BSE.

That is a clean install. Good job!

sparkhill

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
Here are the ones I have tried on the iPad3:
  • BSE - SHINY, smooth, nice corners, wet install, about $20
  • Wrapsol - MATTE, slightly textured, corners just OK, wet install, about $30, free replacement
  • Skinomi Techskin - SHINY, smooth, corners just OK, wet install, about $30, camera hole location wrong - AVOID!

I have a couple of others on the way. If you like the glossy/shiny look, go with BSE. If you like a matte, slightly textured finish, try Wrapsol. Either way, put a couple of drops of baby shampoo in a large bowl, dip you finger, peel the back off the skin, dip the skin in the water, apply, squeegee the excess water, hold the corners down to get them to stick.

Wrapsol is on all of my stuff.

BTW, I have tried them all and the best clear screen protector is PowerSupport; the cheap ones rainbow under fluorescent lights, the wet instal ones have orange peel.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I live the BSE skins except they seem to turn yellow in 6-8 months.

Interesting, that's not been my experience. Had a BSE on my ipad2 for a year and didn't have any yellowing or peeling. Maybe something environmental or a different batch of material or something.

Still, I wouldn't pay the double $ Zagg demands.

Agreed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.